Ch.2: Daily Strife
26 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Origo City, the home of the Homid’s and the land of their birth. In recent years it’s become a metropolis of economy gathering wealth and a center of trade across the world. Everyone on the western side of Contern, Shumesin, comes to here at some point to make trade. And with that many unscrupulous people move in and out of the city, making the lives of the city’s guards a very exhausting.

 

Lyn stands in front of one of the city’s gates yawning loudly in her guard armor as she attempts to seem busy. People move all around her as she stares at the crowd trying to keep watch out for any suspicious activity.

            “Lyndis!” A voice rings out surprising her.

A large yet slender man rushes up towards her glaring intensely at her as he approaches. “Lyndis Mackel, where is your sword?”

            “Um sorry sir, I don’t know what you mean?” Lyn says nervously.

He glares at her before staring at the sheath on her back. “I heard you went on another foolhardy adventure in the forest again.”

            “It’s not foolhardy!” Lyn yells out before looking away nervously and tapping her fingers. “I’m an Adventurer, I’m only a guard to pay my bills.”

            “I don’t care about that, I just wish you wouldn’t use our equipment for such dangerous tasks, you’ve broken five swords and had almost three sets of armor destroyed.” He puts his hand up to his head. “All I’m saying is that it’s costing us a lot to keep you in regulation gear and even taking the funds out of your pay isn’t enough.”

            “I’m sorry Captain,” Lyn says nervous of his intense gaze.

            “Just remember it and don’t cause any trouble until you’re on break.” He walks off looking around the area with his gaze unflinching.

            “The Captain’s as intense as ever, I’m lucky he didn’t look too closely at me,” Lyn whispers to herself as she sighs and looks up into the air. “Rayne, I’m counting on you. I really hope that you’re going to get it done.”

 

Meanwhile, in the middle of the streets, Rayne walks along through the crowds to a shop’s door, quickly opening it and rushing inside. Inside she’s surrounded by blades and tools lined across the walls as the heat of the forge in the back hits her making the room feel like an oven.

            “This is why I hate blacksmiths,” Rayne says annoyed. “Hey, you’re, here aren’t you? Sister Glenn!”

A sound comes from the back room and a woman in similar clothing, albeit dissolved, stumbles forward rushing from the back of the store. She stares down at Rayne with an intensive gaze as a man quickly putting on his pants without a shirt blushing nervously as he approaches.

Rayne rubs her face and looks away. “I hope I’m not interrupting you both too much.”

            “Rayne,” Glenn says stomping towards her. “What the hell are you doing here?”

            “I just came to pick up what I left yesterday.” Rayne looks past her and looks towards the blacksmith. “Well, have you finished it?”

            “Yes, I fixed that sword for you.” He pulls out a sheathed sword and hands it to Rayne. “Um, if you couldn’t tell my master about this. He’d be mad about me not charging you for this.”

            “And what about the little afternoon delight I just interrupted? Am I free to tell anyone about that?” Rayne asks jokingly.

Glenn rushes up towards her with anger in her eyes and points her finger at Rayne’s chest. “You're just mad about your flat little chest! If you squeal on me, then I’m going to tell the Mother about your little trysts with that guard girlfriend of yours.”

            “Oh, you mean Lyn? I’ve already told the Mother about that.” Rayne turns around taking the sword and opening the door. “Oh, and I’d rather not deal with the extra weight those lumps of fat of yours bring. My smaller frame makes it easier for me to get around unnoticed.”

She walks past the door as it starts to slowly close as she tosses something into the room. “Alright, you two have fun.”

The door closes and Rayne walks into the streets holding the sheathed sword in her hands with a grin. “Now I wonder those two will handle that little gift.”

Suddenly the door of the shop blasts off its hinges with a large gust of wind exiting from the shop and Rayne grins happy with her mischief. Glenn and the man rush into the street glaring at Rayne as she turns back with a wicked grin on her face.

            “Rayne, I’ll squeal on you! Using magic on civilians is a punishable offense!”

            “Do it if you want, but then you have to tell the Mother about little affair, and what is this your fifth one?” She asks walking away.

            “Wait fifth?”

            “Oh, don’t worry about that honey,” Glenn says nervously.

Rayne walks into the crowd as they slowly start to gather, rolling her eyes as she disappears. “Oh, please I give it two months.”

 

On the edge of the town walking into the gates, Lyn looks around nervously hoping to see any sign of Rayne. With no sign in sight, she takes a seat down on the ground with a look of dejection and defeat on her face as she looks at the ground.

            “Damn it, Rayne, where are you?” She asks curiously. “You said that you were supposed to be here by now. You were the one who said to be on the other side at noon.”

            “I told you that so you’d be early, I never expected you to be on time for once,” Rayne says sitting down next to Lyn. “You must really be scared if you’re coming to the meeting spot early.”

            “The commander has me scheduled for training today, and if I don’t bring my sword, then the lie will be revealed!” Lyn yells out nervously.

Lyn unsheathes the blade on her back revealing nothing more than a hilt attached to a long stick. “What kind of guard uses this as a weapon?” She asks nervously.

            “It’s fine, I saved your butt, once again.” Rayne hands Lyn the sword putting it on the ground. “Now let’s talk about that payment plan, it took quite some irritation to get this on such a quick notice.”

Lyn leaps up grabbing the sword and rushes off ahead leaving Rayne behind as she waves back eagerly. “I’ll see you later, I have to get to training!”

            “Seriously, you always move so fast whenever I talk about paying me back.” Rayne sighs and stands up. “Oh well, I might as well head to the shop for my shift. I do hope she doesn’t break it again.”

1