Ch.7: Encounter
16 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the depths of the cave, Lyn and Rayne stand as several small lizard-like creatures crawl towards them from all angles. As one approaches holding out its tongue Rayne holds out a red crystal and channels energy through it shooting out a large fireball that shoots back through the cavern burning the small creatures into ash.

            “Small fries, so much easier when we come prepared,” Rayne says with a wide grin on her face.

Lyn charges in slashing at the creatures and cutting a pair of them in two as she looks around to notice their number. “Why are so many of these things here?”

            “Their Monere and Monere are drawn to strong magic. That’s why using anything but the simplest of spells is forbidden in town.” Rayne says seriously looking around. “If only I had my staff then I could do more than just sling Spells at these things.”

Lyn smirks. “Don’t worry, these guys are easy!”

She rushes in leaping into the air and slicing into one on the roof of the cavern before landing on top of another on the ground and stabbing it in the head. A duo of monsters leaps into the air bearing their fangs towards her as a strong gust of wind shoots ahead cutting them into pieces.

            “Thanks,” Lyn says giving Rayne a thumb’s up. “That should be the end of them.”

            “So at least we know something is in here, but we just don’t know what,” Rayne says seriously. “Either way there are going to be a lot more Monere the deeper we go inside.”

Lyn steps forward walking past Rayne. “We’ll just have to be on our guard, we can’t let those things stop us now.”

            “You know this would be a lot easier to do if I had my staff.”

            “If we find it inside later then we’ll pick it up, but I don’t know if we’ll find it either way,” Lyn says looking to Rayne.

As Lyn walks she suddenly trips over something and falls on her face with Rayne looking at her with a smug grin. Rayne bends over and picks up a staff from the ground as she walks over to look at Lyn in the face.

            “I found my staff.” She says happily.

            “Great,” Lyn says picking herself up off the ground. “Now we can go deeper in!”

            “Alright, but we shouldn’t lower our guard. The Mana flow here is getting denser and denser as we go inside.” Rayne says staring ahead as trails of energy seem to flow past her. “Whatever is inside of this cave, it’s almost monstrous with the amount of Mana it’s drawing towards itself.”

Lyn stares ahead and walks at a steady pace with Rayne following behind her. “Well, we’ll deal with it when we get to it because this is our Adventure.”

            “At least you dropped calling it our first Adventure.”

            “Well, it is.”

            “What about what happened last time?”

            “It doesn’t count!” Lyn yells out in objection. “It was only a few hours, and we didn’t find any treasure.”

            “Alright, I’ll give up and just call this our first Adventure, but it’s not really,” Rayne says jokingly. “Let’s just make sure we’re not going to die on this little trip.”

            “Don’t worry, we’ll make it back safe. We can’t face anything too deadly in here.”

            “What about that giant one we found last time?”

Lyn looks around. “It must’ve left or someone killed it because I don’t see any sign of a fire-breathing monstrosity down here.”

With a loud bang, a larger lizard-like monster standing on its back legs walks forward with fire gathering in its mouth. Its jaw opens unhinged with a large fireball shoots ahead towards the two missing and exploding towards the back end of the cave.

            “What was that about fire-breathing monsters?” Rayne asks dryly.

            “Well, it’s not like it’s that giant from before,” Lyn says looking on the brighter side of the argument as she draws her sword. “And that means we can kill this guy easy.”

            “Right.”

Lyn charges ahead as the monster shoots blast after blast out at her only for her to dodge every attack. She jumps into the air and rushes towards it in the air leaping from spot to spot as it stares up at her continuing to shoot.

            “Over here ugly!” Rayne yells out as she holds out her staff. “I’ve been using quick spells for a few days now, good to get back to good old magic.”

Energy gathers around her as a blast of air rockets from her towards the creature slicing into it as it roars out in pain. Lyn seeing an opening charges down from above slicing into the monster’s back as it continues to roar out in pain.

            “Lyn move!” Rayne yells out.

The monster gathers fire in his mouth as he stares up into the air. The fireball grows larger and larger as the creature’s body balloons into a large ball.

            “Stupid thing going to explode,” Rayne says annoyed. “This is why I hate fire breathers!”

Rayne shoots off a large blast of water pushing the creature deeper into the cavern with Lyn watching on curiously as she stands up. A large blast of wind blows through the cavern and rocks the cave as stones fall from above.

            “What was that?” Lyn asks confused.

            “Fire-breathing Monere tend to explode when their fire sacks are ruptured,” Rayne says seriously. “That’s why I hate the fire-breathing types.”

            “Either way, we should be in the clear,” Lyn says happily.

            “If you say so, but it seems like the tunnels behind us have collapsed.”

            “What?”

Rayne looks up at her and taps her on the head with her staff. “What did you think would happen when you started fighting a monster that causes things to explode in a small space?”

            “I thought the cave was secure.”

            “It obviously was not,” Rayne says seriously as she walks ahead. “And now we don’t have any other choice but to go ahead.”

Lyn looks on dejectedly as she walks ahead. “Fine, let’s spin this around. So, what if we can’t escape, we already have our destination within sight.”

            “Way to spin that around,” Rayne says jokingly.

As the pair walk deeper into the cavern part of the wall collapses and a large eye peeks out from behind the wall.

1