Ch.13: Voice in the Night
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lyn walks home still tired from the other day’s events holding the sword on her back as she makes her way. As she walks down the alleyway, she stops for a moment and pulls out the blade feeling out light it feels in her hand. She holds it carefully in her hand and slices into the air repeatedly swinging the blade excitedly with a smile on her face. She looks onto a bag of trash and tries to cut it, only for the sword to cut and simply knock back the bag as she stares at it confused.

            “It didn’t cut.” She says curiously as she stares ahead.

She tries again slicing into the trash bag, this time slicing it open and spilling trash all into the alley. “It cut then, why?”

            “Hey, Guard Girl!” The landlord yells out rushing towards her. “What you do in alley? Why you attack trash?”

Lyn puts the sword down and blushes slightly. “No reason, I just wanted to test something.”

            “What?”

            “My sword, it’s kind of weird.”

            “Guard Girl, you’re an odd one.” He says looking at her sword before turning around and walking back inside. “But no care, just pay rent on time and no issue. Oh, and clean up out here when you’re done.”

Lyn blushes and puts her sword away as she looks at the trash scattered across the ground. “I wish I had some gloves.”

 

Lyn picks up the trash and cleans up the alley pilling it back into a bag and trying her best to seal it. Now covered in filth she walks up to the second floor and forces her way into the cramped bathroom to clean herself up even a little before exiting. She walks into her room closing the door and fiddling with the doorknob as she tries her best to put it back into position. She gives up and lies on the bed tired, exhausted, and still somewhat grimy as she stares at the sword leaning against the wall.

            “I believe in Rayne, I know she’ll find out what you are. And with that knowledge, I’ll be able to use you properly.” She says with a large grin on her face. “Now all there is to do is wait, and then we’ll become Legendary Adventurers together.”

She closes her eyes and drifts off to sleep peacefully as she sees nothingness before her. Where am I? A voice echoes through her mind as she sees a bright light floating above her.

            Please, won’t someone tell me where I am? The voice cries out begging for aid crying out into the distance. Please!

            “Stop yelling!” Lyn yells out sitting up on her bed. “Stupid voice, I have no idea where it’s coming from and now it’s blaring through my head!”

            But you’re just ignoring me, and you’re only caring about yourself. A voice says coming from behind her.

She turns around and stares ahead looking at the sword sitting against the wall. “There’s no way, no way that the sword is talking.”

            See just like that, you're ignoring me and refusing to help me. How would you feel if you keep crying out for help with no one coming to help?

            “Huh?” She asks confused. “No way the sword is talking.”

            And you keep saying that, sword this, sword that, I have a name you know.

Lyn stares at it moving closer towards it. “No way a talking sword, this is kind of amazing!”

            And you still refuse to use my name.

            “Sorry, I just didn’t know you could talk. And besides that, you never even told me your name.”

            I never did? The voice asks confused. I’m sorry for that, I thought I told you.

            “Well, why don’t we do introductions.” Lyn reaches out her hand with a large grin on her face. “My name is Lyn Mackel, and I’m going to be an Adventurer.”

            And my name is…. I don’t know.

            “Huh?”

            I don’t know my name, I’m sorry to say. I’m sorry for giving you a hard time since I can’t remember what my name even is. The voice says apologetically. It’s a shame I did want a name.

Lyn smiles and leaps to the edge of the bed. “Well, why don’t I give you a name?”

            You really will?

            “Yeah, now let’s come up with a good name for you.” Lyn sits on the edge of the bed thinking as names fly through her head. “I think I have a good one for you, Avalon.”

            Avalon?

Lyn smiles and grabs the sword. “Avalon is the name of a legendary place, a place that no one’s ever seen before and a perfect paradise.”

            Avalon, I think I like that. From this day forward, you shall call me Avalon!

            “Yeah yeah, but stop yelling,” Lyn says holding her head. “It kind of hurts when you yell like that.”

            Sorry, I’ll try to keep that in mind for now.

            “Guard Girl! Stop talking to yourself up there and go to bed now! You're keeping other tenants awake!” The landlord yells out from below her.

            “Sorry.”

            “And put clothes on, you’re a little underdeveloped for such scenes.” He says seriously.

Lyn blushes as she puts the sword on the wall and covers herself completely with her towel and lies on her bed. She stares at Avalon and smiles whispering to it goodnight before she closes her eyes and drifts off to sleep.

 

Inside of the Witch’s Shop Rayne sits around in a nightgown at her desk pulling book after book off the shelves as she pours through each of them. She reads the text and stares at the pictures looking for any sign of the runes as she struggles for any sign of guidance. She tosses a book off to the side as she puts her head on the desk and sighs out loudly.

            “Damn it, how is it this hard? How can I not find those damn runes in any of my books?” She asks frustrated and her head up staring into the air.

            “Rayne, you're being too loud.” The Mother says walking into the room with a smile on her face. “Doing some research?”

Rayne sighs as she looks at her. “I’m looking for some runes that match something I saw, I can’t find anything like it in any of my books.”

            “Well, it’s possible I can help you there. A lot of your books are newer, perhaps you need more ancient text?”

            “Ancient text?”

            “Yes, a lot of knowledge either not deemed important or deemed too dangerous are lost to history over time. Maybe what you’re investigating is one of those?”

Rayne puts her hand to her head. “Possibly.”

            “So, would you like to peak into one of my books?”

            “Yes. Thank you, Mother.” Rayne says with a large smile on her face.

            “Think nothing of it child.” She says happily. “But you remember the rules of Witchery, right?”

Rayne looks on nervously and stares at her. “Yes, Mother.”

            “Good, because you’ll have to follow the rules for asking for a favor.”

            “I understand Mother,” Rayne says seriously staring up at her.

She smiles as she leaves the room. “That look on our face, that’s something I love about you, my child.”

0