Ch.15: Bolstered Pride
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lyn rushes through the streets with a large grin on her face holding onto Avalon as she approaches the City Guard’s headquarters. She rushes in through the front towards the training grounds where everyone stands around talking amongst themselves when she bursts into the area.

            “Lyn?” One asks walking up to her. “Are you okay, aren’t you still injured from your fight the other day?”

Lyn stands up barely able to contain her excitement. “No, I’m fine see, my body’s not sore at all.” She says doing some stretches. Besides, I need some money so I can’t afford to miss work.”

            “Yeah, you are in a lot of debt for all of those swords you’ve broken.”

            “Well, those days are over.” Lyn unsheathes Avalon and smiles smugly as she shows the sword. “With Avalon here, I’ll never need another sword ever again.”

            “Avalon?” Tyra asks walking out of the crowd. “What kind of name is that?”

Lyn holds out Avalon. “It’s the name of this sword, I came up with it. Isn’t it cool?”

            I don’t like being referred to as just a sword.

            “Anyway, what do you plan on doing with that? It’s against regulation so I doubt the captain will let you use it on patrol.” One guard says seriously.

            “Don’t worry about that, I’m sure he’ll change his mind when he learns that this is a legendary sword.” She says proudly as everyone around her looks closely at it. “Yup, this here is one of the legendary Zwaards, at least that’s what Rayne told me.”

            “A Zwaard?” One guard asks curiously. “One in the world is a Zwaard?”

Tyra steps forward and stares at the blade. “I know, they’re a series of blades forged by a legendary blacksmith used in the war against the Gods.”

            “Huh? There’s no way that’s possible, something like that should be in the capital not in some hidden cave.”

            “Well, it is,” Lyn says sulking as the crowd looks at her in disbelief.

Tyra stares at the blade. “Because Lyn is a Homid, that means the sword is Lumen the Blade of the Homids.”

            “Yeah, that’s what Rayne said.”

Tyra stares at the sword and clenches her fist. “Such a rare item, it’s wasted in Lyn’s dumb hands.” She whispers to herself.

            “Did you say something Tyra?” One guard asks curiously.

            “No nothing.”

He looks confused believing he’d heard something but drops it and stares at Lyn’s sword. “Hey, I have an idea. Why don’t we test out Lyn’s sword?”

            “Huh?” They all ask confused.

            “Yes, I like that idea,” Tyra says with a large grin. “Let’s have someone go up against Lyn and see if her sword is real or not.”

            “I’m down for that,” Lyn says with a large grin on her face as she stretches. “I’ve been wanting to cut loose with Avalon since I got him.”

The guards all chat amongst themselves before a large muscular man steps forward with a large smile on his face. He walks up to Lyn and pats her shoulder as he points to the training yard.

            “So, you wanna go?” She asks happily.

He nods and walks ahead moving to the weapons rack as he picks up a large hammer with a helmet and reaches the field readying himself for battle. Everyone watches on nervously as Lyn steps forward making her way to the training field.

            “She’s taking on Gabe, this is bad. No one takes on Gabe.”

            “Yeah, we better get the commander, if she gets hurt again then he’s going to blow his top.”

Tyra steps forward to the pair talking. “Don’t worry, nothing’s wrong. I’ll go get the captain and then he’ll put a stop to this.”

            “Really?”

            “Thanks, Tyra.”

            “It’s no problem.” She says happily as she walks off. “But if I happen to be a little late, then no one should be made at me.” She whispers to herself happily.

As Lyn arrives Gabe swings, his hammer smashing it into the ground as the land underneath buckles underneath her feet. Suddenly a large spike extends from the ground as Lyn leaps into the air dodging the attack and quickly landing on the ground looking at Gabe.

            “So, you make spikes, let’s see if I can’t beat that?”

Gabe smashes his hammer into the ground again and again as more and more spikes emerge from the ground. Lyn leaps into the air jumping from one seeming platform to another as she moves closer to Gabe leaping down towards him.

            “Eat this!” She yells out swinging her sword down on Gabe’s head.

The sword bangs against the helmet bouncing off and leaving Lyn confused as she jumps back confused. Gabe looks on confused as well as he looks ahead and cracks his neck waiting for the match to continue.

            “Hey Avalon, what was that?” Lyn whispers to the sword.

            Sorry, but I have no idea. I just don’t think you should be using me like this, maybe that’s why I can’t cut anything right now.

            “Well change your attitude because we’re going on for another strike!” She yells out rushing ahead.

Gabe smashes his hammer into the ground creating a large wall of spikes reaching out for her. Instinctually Lyn slashes through the spikes with Avalon before leaping into the air rushing ahead as he stares down at Gabe. She leaps down towards him with the butt of the blade knocking it into his helmet.

            “What was that?” One guard asks curiously.

            “She’s trying to smash his head against the side of the helmet, and with that, she’ll shake up his brain.”

            “Huh?”

            “If she does she’ll give him a concussion and knock him out.”

Standing up on the roof Tyra watches with a slight smile on her face. “There’s no way that you’ll win against him Lyn, I guess it’s just about time for you to lose and give up.”

Lyn leaps away as Gabe falls back and lands on the ground with a grin on her face believing she’s won. When suddenly large spikes shoot out of the ground around her trapping her as she leaps up into the air to escape the trap.

            “But how? he doesn’t grab his hammer… unless," She says realizing something.

As Lyn escape, Gabe’s hammer flies smacking into her and knocking her down to the ground. She forces herself up and Gabe smashes down into the ground in front of her as she struggles to stand with her previous injuries as she grips the sword and swings. She smashes into Gabe’s side only for it to have no effect as he looks down at her.

            “I give up.” She says seriously.

Gabe reaches out his hand and lifts her up onto her feet as he looks down on her. “Okay?”

            “I guess,” Lyn says looking at Avalon in her hands.

            “What is going on here!?” The captain yells out walking into the training yard. “Why is everyone just standing around not doing their jobs!?”

Lyn steps forward and holds out her hand. “I’m sorry captain, it’s my fault.”

            “Lyndis.” He says seriously. “You are standing on thin ice I hope you know that.”

            “I know.” She says.

He stares at her and walks up putting his hand on her shoulder. “Come speak with me in my office.”

0