Ch.19: Monere Horde
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Outside of the gates, a pair of guards watches on nervously as a large swarm of Insect-like Monere fly towards the city with their large buzzing wings flapping rapidly. Their buzzing echoes across the area and their masses eclipse the sun as everyone around stare up nervously. Bells echo across the city as the civilian’s rush to the inside of buildings and shelters seeking protection from the oncoming swarm.

Captain Ronah sits in his office as a guardsman rushes inside nervously saluting him. “Sir, what do we do?”

            “Send out an emergency quest, have any Adventurers in town. Emergency Quest, Monere Invasion.”

            “Sir!” The guard says before rushing outside.

The Captain sits down at his desk and breathes in. “I don’t know what caused this, but I’m going to defend this city no matter what!”

He reaches underneath his chair and pulls out a sword as he makes towards the door. “It’s going to be one hell of a day.”

 

Outside the gates, several guardsmen and alongside others with weapons and armor gather as they watch the swarm overhead. As they come into range volleys of arrows fly from the ground into the air striking at a few of the Monere that crash onto the ground. Almost immediately as they land small numbers of assailants rush up and stab the monsters with their blades to finish them off. As they cry out in pain and agony from the assault another Monere fly down from above to attack the gathered group.

            “All Mages forward now!” A commanding voice yells out from among the crowd.

Several people hold out their staffs and chant with many magical attacks flying out from the ground and into the air. Each blast strikes at a Monere bringing it to the ground as it suffers the same fate as the others.

            “Good, keep up the assault, those who’re feeling weak from Mana Depletion fall back and rest inside.” A man in light armor holding out a spear says as she rides on the back of his horse.

            “Sir!” Captain Ronah rushes ahead towards the scene saluting the man. “You need not be out here sir, it’d be best if you went inside and watched over the others away from the danger.”

The man looks down removing his helmet as he shakes his long blond hair. “Captain, I cannot allow my city to fall into danger. I have trained my entire life up until this point, allow me to join in on this battle.”

            “Young Master, if anything should happen to you….”

            “Then I leave it to you and my advisers to run this city in my place, I will fight on the front lines like everyone else to defend our homes.” He says seriously as his horse neighs behind him. “Oh, me and Spots as well.”

Captain Ronah smiles. “Of course, Lord Hanner.”

Larger Monere crash down in front of the gate roaring out loudly as the smaller of their kind start to surround them taking on a more frontal assault. They charge ahead using their claws to slash at the gathered defenders who block with their shields.

As the larger ones distract them the smaller one’s charge ahead towards the gates rushing past all the guards and flying over the wall. Just as they reach their zapped and fall backward to meet with the swords of waiting guards and Adventurers.

            “The defense shield is active and all the gates have been closed and secured.” Captain Ronah says seriously.

            “Good, let us focus on the main front and slay these beasts so we can end this madness.” Lord Hanner says seriously. “Let’s go Spots!”

Lord Hanner leaps onto the back of his horse as he flies into the crowd holding out his spear and stabbing each of the beasts in their hides. As one of the larger Monere approaches him he runs it through on his spear and unsheathes a sword decapitating the beast as it’s corpse falls to the ground.

            “Alright, let’s get this mess wrapped up, then we can run the practice track one more time.” He says rubbing the sword of his horse as it neighs loudly.

Captain Ronah walks out among the crowd and fights into the chaos. “Lord Hanner has improved a lot since I last saw his form. It does me proud to see how his skill has improved over time.”

Suddenly a smaller Monere flies towards him at a rapid pace. As it draws closer, he pulls his blade and slices the beat in half without even turning around.

            “Trying to attack my blind spot? Well, that’d be a good plan if I had any blind spots.” He says walking ahead. “My Pour completely erases any potential blind spots and gives me complete one hundred and eighty-degree vision, I call it Blind Erasure!”

 

At each of the gates around the city Monere focus on the groups gathered to defend the entrance as more and more Monere fly out from the forest to join in on the chaos. Mages stand on the other side of the wall casting their magics to keep up an invisible shield to protect the city. Amid this magic flying around on the roof of the Witches Shop, a small group of Witches stands casting their own spells to maintain the shield and give the other Mages strength to maintain.

            “Damn it.” Sister Glenn says as she stretches out her arm. “I’m almost out of Mana, this sucks so hard!”

            “Maybe if you’d practiced instead of flirting, then you’d be better than this,” Sam says annoyed.

            “Now girls.” The Mother says breaking up the two’s fighting. “We have no time for fighting, save your strength for your magic and use your Mana wisely. We’ll have to hold the line and keep this city safe for everyone!”

            “Yes!” They yell in unison.

As she looks around Glenn lowers her hand in exhaustion but forces herself to stand and keep casting. “Damn it, Rayne, where are you?”

 

In the middle of town, Lyn and Rayne rush along rapidly trying to make it towards the City Gates as the sounds of battle echo across the town as Lyn runs in the air. Lyn leaps higher and higher into the air with Rayne stops to catch her breath with Lyn coming to the ground to meet her.

            “Are you okay?” Lyn asks concerned.

            “Fine, it’s just my stamina is pretty crap,” Rayne says nervously. “I have to meet with the other Witches to maintain the field.”

            “Right.” Lyn picks up Rayne and leaps into the air. “Alright, I’ll take you to the other Witches in a heartbeat.”

            “Yeah well, I’d rather walk, I honestly hate it when you carry me,” Rayne says with frustration.

As Lyn leaps into the air, she sees a bright flash of light that blinds her once again as she stares into space. Rayne looks at her and taps Lyn with her staff snapping her out of her trance as she points towards the sky.

            “I think you’re going to want to put me down now!” Rayne says seriously. “Because this just got a lot worse.”

Above them, the shield around the city becomes visible for a split second before it starts rapidly evaporating into nothingness. And with no shield to keep them out of the city the Monere immediately swarm inside of the walls attacking anything within their reach as Lyn and Rayne watch on in horror.

0