Ch.22: Beckoning Light
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

            “I won’t let you do that!” Rayne yells out glaring at Lyn. “I won’t let you do something so stupid!”

Lyn holds Avalon close to herself and smiles at Rayne. “But all of this is my fault, if I hadn’t had bragged about Avalon then Tyra wouldn’t have stolen it.”

Rayne pouts looking out at Lyn as she holds Avalon and looks across the city. More Monere rush into the city attacking anything within sight. Adventurers and Guards fight back against the horde pushing them back as they try to protect themselves and each other.

            “I have to do something, and the sooner the better!” Lyn yells out holding Avalon.

            Well, if you want to, we can do it. Hopefully, you’ll survive, but if you don’t then I’m going out with you. Avalon says happily.

Lyn smiles and looks towards Rayne. “I’m sorry if you’re mad at me for this but…”

Rayne turns around and pulls down her hat. “When you get back, you're buying me dessert.”

            “Huh?”

            “A full course of sweets. You're buying that for me, I don’t care how poor you are that is something you’re going to promise me right here and now!” Rayne yells out.

Lyn looks at her and smiles. “Sure, we’ll have a nice day where we eat deserts all day.”

            “That might be a bit much, our stomachs would explode,” Rayne says jokingly.

Lyn looks up at the sky as she grips Avalon. “How high?”

            For this to work without hurting anyone we’ll need to well clear the cities skyline. From there I’ll need you to pour all your Mana into me to make me use it.

            “Rayne, I’ll see you later,” Lyn says with a large smile on her face.

Filled with determination Lyn leaps into the air as Rayne stands on the rooftop holding out her staff as she tosses out several red crystals. “I can’t do much here but I can at least start getting some attention for you.”

She chants as she draws the Mana out of the crystals and forms a large ball of flames above her head. Everyone around stares at the fireball as the Monere move towards its intense blazing light.

            “Who is that?” Sister Glenn asks looking up at the fireball.

            “It has to be Rayne!” Sam yells out excitedly.

The Mother looks up and sees Lyn leaping into the air farther and farther. “I see, so its happening then?”

            “Mother?” The two ask curiously.

She smiles. “Don’t worry, this will be over soon. But we can’t let ourselves slow down just yet.”

            “Right,” Sam says excitedly.

            “Alright, but after this, I’m sleeping for a week,” Glenn says nervously as she looks at the fireball. “Rayne, whatever you’re doing, don’t get yourself hurt.”

 

Lyn jumps higher and higher into the air clutching Avalon as she stares up into the watching as she jumps past the walls of the city. Her muscles strain as she comes higher and higher as her breathing intensifies from the strain she’s putting on herself.

            “Alright so now what do I do?”

            Focus your Mana into me.

            “How do I do that, I’m not a Mage?” Lyn asks confused.

            Picture, it, streams of energy flowing out of you and into me. You may feel weak doing it, but keep up the flow and don’t lower it and we’ll see ourselves through to this.

            “Right!”

Lyn closes her eyes and focuses on Avalon as she feels the energy flowing out of her and into the sword. The runes on the sword start to glow one after another as their glow slowly brightens. Before long the sword emits and white blinding light that reaches across the sky as bright as the sun.

 

            “Lyn,” Rayne says on the ground as she stares up at it. “Please come back.” She falls slipping off the roof.

Before she crashes to the ground Lord Hanner catches her and lifts her up in his arms onto his horse. “Is she the one who made that fireball?”

            “Yes, she’s a friend of Lyndis Mackel a guardsman.” Captain Ronah says looking around as he peeks into a barrel and sees the unconscious and slightly burned Tyra. “I don’t know what’s going on here, but I’m sure we’ll find out soon.”

Hanner looks up at the sky to see the bright light. “Is that what I imagine?”

            “I believe so.”

            “So, she’s the one that sword has chosen, the sword of the Homid Lumen.” He says with a wide smile on his face.     

“Hopefully,” Ronah says seriously with a smile on his face. “She has her own dream to follow, and it looks like she’s finally deciding to look forward with no hesitation, instead of falling back.”

Across the town, the Monere start flying up high into the sky charging up towards Lyn as she glows brighter and brighter. They surround her as holds Avalon close to herself as the light protects her from their slashes and scratches.

            Are you ready Lyn? Avalon asks curiously.

            “I guess, will this hurt?”

            I don’t know I can’t really feel pain at all so that concept alludes me. Avalon says jokingly. But I think we can survive this.

            “If you say so,” Lyn says nervously.

            So, are you ready?

            “Yes, let’s go!” Lyn says as she holds the hilt of the sword. “I’ll swing this sword and slay any foe that dares stand against me!”

            That’s the way to do it!

Lyn swings the sword and the light bursts glowing brighter and brighter as it burns away the Monere around her. They fade away into the light as Lyn starts to fall exhausted from the strain of the tasks.

            We did it, Lyn. Avalon says as Lyn starts to lose consciousness. I know it now, you’re the best partner I could have ever asked for.

            “Avalon,” Lyn says as her consciousness starts to fade. “I have to figure out how to wield you properly. Every time I swing the blade I end up passing out. Now, what kind of warrior is that?”

            Don’t worry, you’ll get there soon. I believe in you after all. Avalon says as she closes her eyes and the world goes dark.

0