Chapter Eighteen
1.8k 5 56
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Obligatory Disclaimer : I do not own anything (except maybe OC characters) all characters, places, worlds, universes…etc mentioned here belong to their respective owners and/or companies. 

This is purely a work of fiction. Not meant to offend or incite, but to entertain and (maybe) inspire.


INTERLUDE


“Mama!” Valeria cried and wailed, clutching the arm of an unconscious Cynthia Von Doom. “Mama, please don’t go!” She cried harder, feeling her mother’s breath weaken, each beat of Cynthia’s slowing heart sounded like the tolls of a funeral bell to Valeria. 

Each gong, as horrifyingly loud and dreadfully infrequent as it was, signaled the inevitable death of her only living relative.

“Please,” She whispered, “please don’t leave me alone” Valeria would’ve tried consoling her mother by talking about ‘Viktore’ but that would’ve been cruel to both of them. There was no hope left, not even the false one she had clung onto so far.

It was all just a fantasy conjured to get them through hard times. But what use was it now, when her mother was already dead? Now when not even colors had their vibrance anymore? Hope was for fools, and she had been foolish all along.

Foolish in hoping, like her mother had that there was a better day coming. Foolish, in believing tall tales of having a lost brother, who was also the world’s wealthiest man. Foolish, in accepting that she could ever be happy. Slowly, as the life left her mother, so did joy leave the heart of Valeria Von Doom. 

Knock Knock

Valirie had not the strength within her to even rise from her knees. And it seemed that the person at the door had not the courtesy to wait for her to open the door. 

Even with the cold winds blowing into the house through the now open door, Valeria could feel the warmth that spread into the old house. The kind of serene warmth that brought up one of her most valued memories; of seating close to a campfire under star filled clear skies accompanied by the crisp crackle of twigs and the lovely hymns of her mother carried by the soft night breeze. The stranger brought with them an energy that changed the atmosphere of the room, regardless of the fact that her mother had just passed away. 

Curious to know who it was that could command such change and also weighed heavy enough for the flooring to creak with each step of theirs, Valeria turned to catch a glimpse of a very handsome man, who she felt she had seen somewhere. His name was on the tip of her tongue but try as she might, she could not remember it.

“Could you move to the left a little?” The man said softly. Valeria found herself obeying his suggestion unconsciously; she was still trying to draw the memory of where she had seen the man before.

“Thank you, sister” the man said with a smile, his eyes hidden beneath dark glasses that reflected her own tear stained face. Like the shatter of glass, the wall that stopped her from remembering broke into a thousand pieces. 

‘That smile! That voice! It can’t be!’ Valeria felt her heart jumping to the back of her throat. She wiped her eyes, telling herself that she was just hallucinating or having a lucid dream, and when she was done she opened them to find the man still there. 

This cannot be real’ She thought, slapping herself hard on the cheek, hard enough to leave a palm print. And yet, the man was still there.

She was too shocked to speak. ‘Did he call me sister?’ Valeria shook her head. ‘I must have died. Am I in heaven?’ She questioned herself. 

There was a flash of orange light as the man waved his hand. What she saw next would forever change her life. Her mother rose from her literal death bed as though she were never dead in the first place. 

Sitting upright, Cynthia von Doom shed tears of joy as she cupped the face of her long lost son in her hands. “Viktore,” She whispered with love, “oh, my lovely boy” she said, rubbing her forehead against his as she showered him with motherly kisses.

“Come, Valerie, come hug your brother” Cynthia said to Valeria, who; try as she might could not believe this to be real. The events were just too fantastical—too good to be true.

“Hey, I’m real,” Viktor said, his voice reassuring and playful. Valeria reached forth and then pulled back. Afraid that if she touched him, he would disappear, afraid that the illusion would be dispelled and her sanity would finally shatter. 

Viktor snorted and instead reached for her hand. She jolted from his electric touch. “Y-you are… real” she stated slowly.

“More than anyone else” He added. 

With tears streaming down her eyes, Valeria embraced her brother. Basking in his warmth, taking deep breaths of his scent, she cried loud, wailing in pure joy. Wrapping her arms even tighter around him, when she quieted down, Justin Hammer noticed that she had passed out in his embrace. The euphoria was too much for her heart to bear. And it seemed to be the case with Cynthia as well, who clutched onto his hand even as she too slept.

“I’m here now; it’s all going to be okay.” Hammer said, stroking the sleeping girl’s back and holding onto the aged woman’s hand.

[This is wholesome boss.]

“Family is all we truly got, Eve.” He replied, reminiscing of the one he had and valued in his past life. The smile faded from his face, his heart as cold as his emotions. Hammer noticed that it was difficult to feel a sense of love or familiarity — something made abundantly clear by the fact that he had possessed the ability to display such emotions in the past.

 I’m going to take care of them Joe, like you did for me and Mike. He thought, trying to emulate a feeling of love, but miserably failing. Even if I have to lie about it. He sighed, rubbing his brows. 

Actions have consequences Hammer, you wanted power, you’ve gotta live with the costs. “Heh” He chuckled, reminding himself of the choice he made. “Go hard or die, Doom” And I’m not dying.


Good day brothers and sisters of Raination, I the translator will cease to translate if you do not show me some respect you lamalamabahalairaj blutenberry undergaiza asdgka-- sorry, my translator stole the keyboard for a minute there.

I'm still on a break, but I had to tie up some loose ends, so I'll be putting out interludes, this might be the last or first of many, lets see where it goes. Hope you enjoyed it. Enough to leave a comment and hit that like/fave button.

PS The man's applying for university yo, wish me luck.

A Big, wonderful, magnificent and bombastic shout-out to my awesome patrons!

Andreas Samuelsson (Slade Killson)

Clinton (Titan Breaker)

David J (Celestial Devastator)

King_Reaper ( Kaiser Raiser )

PbookR (Infinity's Librarian)

Amir G (Galactic gangsta)

Simply Invincible (Onepunch Lord)

Ido Gormizo (Gravity's Tyrant)

Siddarth Ravi (Grand Wick)

Till next time, rain away!

You can come find me, 

ON TWITTER: https://twitter.com/RainReider

On PAT RE ON: https://www.patreon.com/ReidR41n

On YOUTUBE https://is.gd/RaiNatio

56