Chapter Twenty-Two
1.6k 3 55
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Obligatory Disclaimer : I do not own anything (except maybe OC characters) all characters, places, worlds, universes…etc mentioned here belong to their respective owners and/or companies. 

This is purely a work of fiction. Not meant to offend or incite, but to entertain and (maybe) inspire


BANG GOES THE BULLET


Mega-Mansion Doom.

Sokovia. 

“Viktore, you must, please my child, you have to help your people” The old lady pleaded, both of her hands wrapped around mine as we walked. 

“I can help them. But I don’t think I need to be a ruler for that.” I answered. 

“My boy, it is your birthright. Your grandparents were rightful rulers. The invaders stole all that was originally ours and they turned our country into hell. It has never been the same since. All men and women who have come in power in this land have done nothing but steal from and exploit us.

“It is your duty; to yourself, to your blood, to your nation. Viktore, help them. Take it as the wishes of an old woman at death’s door.” She begged. 

I did feel as though she were nagging me. I don’t necessarily appreciate it when people feel the need to tell me what to do. I am very capable of making my own choices. I didn’t have any responsibility to this nation; they weren’t my kids or relatives. They deserved nothing from me. It’s harsh but it is still the truth. 

But, when I consider the boons granted by having an entire country in my hand. A whole nation at my direct command, I certainly had to reconsider. The current American government was favorable to me, after all our relationship was symbiotic and advantageous, but there will come a time when a different government takes over, when a different—or even the current– political party sees me as a parasite or a problem rather than a partner. Humans change, and so do opinions. 

But what if I had my own country, my own nation—a government that would answer to me and only me? Perhaps this was a necessary step I have to take on my path . My goal was to become immortal and powerful. I only wanted to ensure the planet’s safety and survival because I wasn’t keen on inheriting a wasteland in the future. And power wasn’t only referring to physical might, but a political one as well. 

To possess immortality was one thing, to be able to enjoy it, was another.

What use was my immortality if I never got to truly enjoy it?

“Fine..” Say it Hammer, say it. “…m-mother” I said awkwardly. If my heart did not mute my emotions, I'd have died of embarrassment when the old lady suddenly stopped walking to hug me with frail arms that couldn’t wrap around my powerful frame. 

 “My son, it touches my heart to hear you call me that once more.”

I guess I could be a considerate person after all, if only my brothers could see me now.

I patted her on the back, prompting her to reluctantly release me and continue our walk.“Speak less of Death, you have a very long life to live, I promise you.” I’d never be able to comfort Valeria if the old lady died. I truly am going to try my very best for the family I had here. Just as Joe had done for us back in my first life.

The old lady only smiled in return, as though I were a child trying to stop the inevitable. If only she knew that I had resurrected her once already.

“Thank you for honoring this one’s wishes.”

“I’m actually doing it for myself, I’d like to own a country” I said jokingly, but there was truth in my jest.

“That is what you tell yourself, child, but you are a good man at heart.”

“I wish I could say the same.”

“I see it in you, you do not have to say it.”

If only she knew the things you’ve done Hammer. If only.

I led her to her bedroom, the most furnished room in the mansion. What stood out the most was the white king sized bed that occupied the room’s north side, it was composed of the softest smart metamaterials that would not only monitor her condition but also move to accommodate her form to provide absolute comfort.

The chandelier let out a soft orange light that added a cozy glow to the room. If you switched to the ultraviolet spectrum, you’d be blinded by the intensity of weak vita-ray particles that were being emitted from that very chandelier. Any baseline human that slept in any one of the rooms in this house that had the weak vita-ray particle emitters, would wake up feeling energized than they’d ever felt in their lives.

I guided her to the bed, helping take her crocs off as she sat on its edge. The weird thing was that I kept thinking of Deadpool as I slid them off.

“Bless your soul,  my child.” She said, planting a kiss on my forehead. The blinds drew shut as I rose to my feet. 

“Sleep well” I whispered, walking towards the exit.

“My Viktore, my Viktore” I heard her mutter quietly as I closed the door behind me.

Sokovia was a war torn country on the brink of total disaster. The citizens were living on their knees. They were broken. What do the broken want? The one thing they yearned for consciously or not was a savior. I wasn’t one, I was the next best thing—their only choice.

I had the money, the connections weren’t a problem. All I needed was the identity of every Hydra agent in Sokovia; which won’t be a problem, since I happened to know of a certain digital consciousness that possessed that and more. If I was going to take control of this land, Hydra had to go.

What more would I need to take over this land? People, actually that was more of a want than need. I’d like to have Eve with me during the undertaking, till then Sokovia could wait. 

Valeria was in one of the recreation rooms, and judging by the muffled sound effects of gunshots, explosions and grunts, I wagered she was an action movie. 

I was going to avoid her as I left, but that wouldn’t be me trying my best to be part of my new family would it? 

Here comes the awkwardness. I pushed open the sound proof doors, and then it happened—the scene on the mega screen changed to one where the hero was passionately making out with the heroine, and oh wow, they were going at it alright, clothes went flying faster than birds on a windy day.

 

I paused, mid step. Even in the relative darkness of the cinema-esque room, I could see Valeria clutching the cushioned armrest of her seat hard enough for her knuckles to protrude. I caught the whiff of sweat that slid down her temples. To my ears, her heart sounded like a jack-hammer about to explode.

She was mortified, utterly abashed. Like a child whose parents walked in on them watching porn. 

I should have shut up and walked out, but I couldn’t help myself.

“Haha!” I laughed, that was the straw that broke the camel’s back.

“Aihhh!” She screamed in that cute, high pitched way, and hid her face behind her palms. So this is why brothers liked teasing their sisters, it’s fun.

She curled up when she knew I was approaching her. I chuckled, “Hey, Val. Don’t stop watching on account of me.” I instinctively reached out to rub her head, this time I didn’t stop myself. “I’ll be leaving for a while okay? If you need anything–anything at all, call Jack, or even me. Take care of yourself and the old lady.”

With her face still buried behind her hands, she nodded. 

“There’s an E-Scape headset beneath the seats. If you do connect to the VR network, there are no restrictions on the content you can access.”

She nodded again. 

“I mean no restrictions at all Val. Don’t be shy to look at the racy stuff, just close the doors before you--”

“Viktor just go!”

“Ok, ok, geez. I love you too Val.” I rubbed her head once more and began making my way out.

“Come back soon brother.” She said, through parted fingers.

“Alright.” I smiled. 

*.*.*.*.*


Justin Hammer’s Mobile Base–Lab #021.

Olympus Mons,

Mars.

“…so yeah, that’s how my day went. Eve” I spoke to the egg while I worked on my latest project—the Nandroids. Micro sized autonomous androids, that would serve as a lethal version of the scavenger units. I sealed the connections to the glowing crystalline structure within the Nandroid’s torso that was it’s unique power core.

“Computer begin Nandroid ver 1.54 test #14” I said, closing the chest cavity and setting the tools down. 

[Commencing activation..]

[Activation successful]

The ant-sized humanoid, shakily stood on its two feet. Its eyes lit up with an eerie red glow as it stared straight ahead, it’s features were based on the sleek, seamless design of my earlier doom bot. I decided to proceed on a smaller scale due to the current scarcity of resources, resources hogged up by the egg. 

“Walk for me, little guy” The tiny robot took a wobbly step forward and then another. From sight alone, I could tell that the learning algorithm needed more adjustment and fine tuning. 

“Testing 60% power beam output, lethal parameters” I placed a lead block before the little robot.

[Commencing test…] the Nandriod stretched out its hands, the repulsors at the end of its palms focused on the target and began glowing a crimson hue.

[Nandroid power core destabilizing. Total system failure imminent]

“Shield power-core”

[Attempting… attempt unsuccessful]

[..Shielding failed.]

I watched as the mini-me’s head burst into flames and the robot’s smoldering remains plopped lifelessly onto my work desk.

“There goes another two-hundred million dollars Eve.”

I tossed the robot into the disassembler array on the underside of my workstation which would take it apart, salvage the parts it could and recycle the rest—it didn’t make losing the amount of work I put in any less painful. I drew up a solution to the perceived problem “Computer, prep materials for Android ver 1.55 assembly, based on improved schematic. Allocate an extra 50% to algorithm processing speed--”

[Resource refinement in progress]

The time is upon thee. Hear me, all ye masters of the mystic arts. Hear my words. Hear the voice of the Aged Ghenghis and take heed.

I stopped, and turned. Surveying my lab, trying to find the source of the disembodied gravelly voice that whispered into my mind. I unleashed my draconic aura and let permeate through the entirety of my vicinity, kicking up a storm of raw power that rattled and shook my lab, and yet I spotted nothing. The results on all scanners were the same—there was nothing foreign in my presence. 

This was unexplainable, this was magic or something related to it. It brought to notice just how limited my magical prowess and knowledge was. I needed to learn more, I needed to know as much of it as I could and use it to complement my scientific acumen—to contribute to my arsenal.

As virtue of my sacrifice, I obtained the right to use the runes. But I only knew of a certain few, and even amongst them, the applications of somewhere beyond the current me. It is like having a hammer, without a nail, nor a board in sight. The tool is powerful, but the tool alone does not suffice. 

I needed experience. I needed knowledge. And I needed to see just who it was that dared to invade my privacy. So, I listened. And once again I could hear the voice that echoed through the astral flow.

I summon ye to a gathering of sorcerers. There to settle a question of power. Come to the Temple of Three. On the dawn of morrow’s sun. Come and face thine destiny.

Power, he says. Power. I drew my mask, and stared at it. On its sleek surface, I saw the reflection of my smile. I am the master of my fate, my destiny is nowhere but in my hands. I choose.

“Computer, bring up my armor designs”

[Understood.]

[Alert! Incoming call from Earth…Location triangulated to the Kamar Taj…Caller identity unregistered]

“Put it through”

[Call connected]

Mr Hammer” that was a voice I couldn’t forget. After all, it belonged to the first person who tried to kill me. 

“Ancient One…how'd you even get my number?”

*******


Hello everyone. It has been a while hasn’t it? I am sorry for that. I fell sick(malaria). But as you can see, I am alive and well now. Big thanks to all my well wishers. I don’t have much to say today, cuz I’m actually quite tired. I hope to be back to 110% soon enough. 

Just want to send my well wishes and prayers to all those going striving through these times. And to all our people in the hospitals. We will survive and we will get through this. So everyone just hang in there. Tomorrow will always be brighter. 

I hope this chapter was able to make your day a bit brighter. Leave a review or a comment behind to tell me what you think. Tap that like/fave button to show some love. And remember to stay safe, wash your hands and wear a mask.

A glorious shout-out to mine supporters and patrons. You who aid me immensely in this endeavor of mine!

Andreas Samuelsson (Slade Killson)

Clinton (Titan Breaker)

David J (Celestial Devastator)

King_Reaper ( Kaiser Raiser )

PbookR (Infinity's Librarian)

Amir G (Galactic gangsta)

Ido Gormizo (Gravity's Tyrant)

Siddarth Ravi (Grand Wick)

God (Heavenly Overlord)

Boltarus (Thunder Monarch)

Frodo the fourth (Eternal Emperor)

Aron Kovcin (Game Breaker)

Susanoo23 (Divine Demon)

Alex Luevanos (Sun Conqueror)

Well, I'll leave you all to enjoy your day/night with me on your mind.

Till next time, Rain (the best ever) away!

You can come find me, 

ON TWITTER: https://twitter.com/RainReider

On PAT RE ON: https://www.patreon.com/ReidR41n

On YOUTUBE https://is.gd/RaiNatio

55