Chapter 3 – Dream Deaths
297 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

***************

Aletha opened her eyes. The ceiling was lit by the crimson sunray that rushed into the room through the window. She looked at the ceiling blankly for a minute until finally deciding to get up.

Aletha scanned her room dazedly.  Upon her desk were the giant psychology and biology books she was reading these past few days. At the corner of the desk was a family photograph of the three family members. Aletha, Ace and her deceased mother, Jeana.

She landed on the chair heavily with her weight, grabbed the picture and looked into it. Her mother was as beautiful as ever. Perhaps, the only benefit of dying at a young age was that others wouldn’t know how you would look when you were old.

Aletha remembered well. The delicious food she used to make, her soft voice, and her gentle touch. During the ten years Aletha lived with her, she never beat her or slapped her on the face like that god blasted father she was now left with. 

She carefully placed the picture on the table and rolled back unto the bed. At the corner of her eyes, she saw the gigantic tv and the computer processor next to it.  

Aletha had tons of games on that. She always wondered why boys were so into this sort of stuff. And indeed, some games were pretty fun. But the more you play a game, the more it becomes obvious that they were made by people. Boring and predictable people. Checking out a game is one thing but playing it over and over again just seems like a huge waste of time. Aletha never understood that. But right now, she didn’t feel like playing at all. Not after what her father did to her. She just wasn’t in the mood. But she was in the mood to see what the world was up to. 

She got the remote and pressed a button and the tv came into life. There were some useless talk shows and some entertainment shows. Aletha scrolled through them with a bored expression until she stopped at the news report.

“Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen. The number of people who have mysteriously died in their bed has increased this week by twenty in California. But compared to the rise in number of these mysterious deaths in other countries and regions, California's mysterious dream death victim rate is nothing to be wailing about, said the Head of Health of Council today.

The number of casualties varied in age, gender and nationality and there are no signs of biological changes within the victim's body. An autopsy report proves that there were no chemical or biological changes in the victim’s body. Surgeon M.Murray stated that the bodies died to due to the heart suddenly stopping in pumping blood”.

Aletha turned off the tv and got up. There was nothing she could do about such a peculiar phenomenon. But she had to admit. This did sound interesting and mysterious. More interesting than whatever the school and universities forced down her throat. She got off from her queen bed and opened the door.  

Quickly heading downstairs she encountered Sarah the maid, who was cleaning the living room. The maid turned around and smiled as soon as she saw Aletha. But Aletha did not like her smile. She never did. It was so painted, so pretentious. Just a movement of the muscle. It meant nothing more than that.  

“I’m heading outside. Where is dad?” asked Aletha as she wrapped her coat around herself.

“Oh, he said he had a meeting with someone” said Sarah musingly.

Pah, a meeting? At this hour? More like trying to eat ass from that bitch he is recently seeing thought Aletha.

“I’m out”

Saying that she pushed the door and headed outside. The spring breeze rustled and the swaying trees greeted her as she walked down the slope. She took a deep breath of the fragrance.

As much as she despised his father, she had to admit, she was lucky to have someone like him by her side. Other children did not have the luxury of living in a two-story house with a beautifully decorated garden. But still…this garden didn’t mean much.

She remembered when her family first moved here when she was just eight. It was a faint memory but she could remember herself rejoicing and twirling around the garden happily with her parents. Now this garden just seemed dry of the same energy. It was the same garden, heck, it was now filled with sunflowers, lilies and looked like the garden of Eden more than ever. But to her, it still lacked life.  

I guess, seeing flowers and trees every day makes it kinda boring.

She walked along the street with her hands in her pockets. There was only one aim she had. Her friend Jessica’s place.

I hope she’s alright.

Indeed, Aletha had every reason to worry. Jessica’s such an innocent soul. Yet just for the sake of some cash, she would often get hooked up with men above her age.                                     

She quickly pranced around the streets of the city and soon arrived at a worn-down apartment. Entering the elevator, she was soon lifted up into the 5th floor. Jessica’s door was just up ahead. She knocked on the door but no one answered.  

“Is she not home” she mumbled to herself.

Aletha turned around to head back to the elevator but a cry was heard from behind the door.

That voice. Don’t tell me

Aletha quickly placed her ear on the door and closed her eyes, trying her best to decipher what is going on. It was quiet for a moment, but she could hear cries and sobbing.

It is Jessica’s voice.

7