Chapter 15- Dream Analysis
47 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The man giggled like a child, danced around within the aromas of the wind.

“So, you do know about psychology, mister? Have you heard of Sigmund Freud?” asked Aletha.

The monk suddenly stopped. He looked at the dark blue sky and stood there like a statue. Until he turned around to Aletha and said “No”.

“Really? How did you know about suppression and expression? Aren’t you a bit affiliated with psychoanalysis?” questioned Aletha.

“My master taught me everything I know.” said Hikaru with a smile.

“Hmm, I see. Makes sense since you’re a monk” said Aletha.

“Aletha, won’t you explain to me about how this repression, expression thing works? It’s cruel to just leave me alone in the dark” grumbled Jessica.

Aletha looked at her and started a long speech, detailing everything she knew:

“Sigmund Freud was the grandfather of psychoanalysis. He was the first to discover the unconsciousness and its desires. How our day to day life is driven by unconscious desires and feelings. And not just that. Freud also found out about many psychological neurosis and ways it could be cured. One of his findings was that suppression, a person’s act of trying to suppress their desires, feelings, and tendencies will cause the problems to be thrown into the unconscious. And once it is thrown into the unconscious then our repressed emotions and desires will start operating and controlling our actions without our notice. 

Freud also believed in dream analysis. In his research, he concluded that dreams are the projections of your unfulfilled desires, wishes, and needs.  

If you fast, cut down on the food you consume, then late in the night, you will have dreams about foods. If you suppress your sexual desires and go for a no nut November, in the night you will dream sexual dreams.

In a way, you could say that dreams are a way for your mind to accomplish its goals and desires that it could not accomplish during the day. If you saw a beautiful hunky dunk man. But you repressed your desires cause you thought it would be rude to act upon your feelings and talk to the man seductively.  Then in the night, you’ll end up dreaming about the man.

Of course, not all dreams are so literal. If you dream that you are flying in the sky. It could mean that you are actually really greedy. You couldn’t simply walk on the earth contentedly, you’ve now ascended to the airs, flying above everyone and everything.

There won’t be any words in your dreams that say you are greedy. Your mind wouldn’t like it. And besides, words are a much more complicated and civilized. Images are closer to your unconsciousness. It is more natural and intrinsic. And the imagery of flying certainly satisfies the urges and desires within you that wants to succeed” 

After finishing her long speech Aletha looked into the sky and took a deep breath.

“Ooohhh, okay” said Jessica with a high pitched voice.

Hikaru had listened to the conversation. He turned around to Aletha, smiled and went back into the hut. Hikaru opened the wardrobe that was located at the corner of the room and pulled out a mattress. After placing it on the floor he put the blanket on it.

Aletha entered into the hut and looked at the sleeping Kailu with somber eyes and asked:

“Is he going to be okay?”

“Yes. So long as he does not get seduced by the desires that consume his mind and body again” said Hikaru.

“I don’t get it. I don’t get how observation just helped him to be relieved of his burning desires. It even helped him fall asleep. What are the psychological and reasons for it?” asked Aletha while eyeing Hikaru with a bit of scorn.

Hikaru looked at her and chuckled.

“That’s what observation does. It reveals the silliness of the world to you. And there is no need to know how it exactly works. If it works it works”

“That’s nonsense. There has to be some scientific explanation for this. Or maybe what you did is just exclusive to this world, I guess” whined Aletha.

“Quiet. You’ll wake him up” said Jessica.

“No, it is not a law that is only abided in this realm. Even in our usual world observing your desiring mind and feelings is the way to transcend it and ascend above it. When you observe something, you are above the very things that were troubling and plaguing you. Observe your anger and it transforms into pure energy. Observe your fear and it turns into calmness” said Hikaru in a soothing voice.           

Aletha was silent for a few moments. But then she frowned towards the monk as she spoke:

“I have never heard such things. What you say seems extremely important yet unbelievable. Sigmund Freud’s guide to achieving happiness was through enacting out and pursuing pleasures. But, of course, not all pleasures can be fulfilled. It is too harmful to society and the people that are surrounding the individual. Humans are such a sad race, really. Our future-oriented desiring minds are impossible to satisfy” said Aletha as she looked at Kailu with pity.

“R-really? There has to be other ways to be happy than just go after pleasure!” said Jessica with a loud voice, completely forgetting about Kailu’s slumber.

Aletha grinned, looked at her friend and asked:

“Oh yeah? What would be your suggestion then?”.

“Mmm, I really do like dancing and singing” said Jessica happily.

"If there is anything that brings more joy than that" started Jessica but soon her cheeks became red. Jessica slid towards the surprised Aletha and whispered softly to her ears seductively:

“Then it’s something a little…lewd”

“Well, you would have certainly become good friends with Freud if he was alive here. And stop panting into my ears you naughty girl!” said Aletha as she pushed Jessica away.   

Hikaru chuckled to himself as he dressed the bed with a colorful blanket. After finishing he spoke:

“Those who seek pleasures of the senses are in a great cage. Aye, how can the five senses, the five lies be the source of happiness?”

Aletha looked at the monk’s brimming smile with confusion.

1