Chapter 10: Whoho, i am officially an apprentice
98 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Seventy meters in front of the Tower is an elevated platform. On it is a crystal podium and two people, who seem to be magic apprentices. That should be the aptitude tester.

The line consists of about eighty kids with their parents. All of them are around my age. It looks like twelve is the best age to start learning magic, or so I think. Maybe people just send their kids now because the tower doesnŰt want to deal with younger kidsÜ?

„Next. Your name? Age?“ the taller men asked.

„Lolt Hump, 11 years of age.“ the young boy replies. His parents are waiting outside the podium, full of expectations.

„Put your hand on the podium and touch it as long as you can.“ the other man replied.

Following the order, the boy put his hands on the podium. After three minutes of inactivity, the boy begins to panic. After four minutes, the podium begins to heat up.

„Alright, very weak fire affinity, go left. Next!“ says the man uninterested. He sends the boy to the left, where other disappointed kids gather.

The Boy named Lolt looks very downcast and walks away from the podium. His parents are ready to encourage him after his failure. Talking to him how this isn`t the end, etc.

The line was moving very slowly. Have I mentioned that I hate waiting in lines? Not that I think of. This is the first time waiting in line on this new world. Back on earth, some institutions had similar ques in front of them. Simply to state superiority? I can’t believe that they can’t make it through the internet while we have spaceships.

Apparently, not many of the kids possess any talent. With 70 per cent of the kids, the crystal podium does nothing after ten minutes. 17 per cent are like the last kid and have only a very weak reaction after a few minutes. Those are hushed away from the platform too. Most of the rest has a somewhat stronger reaction. Those are moved to another group. They seem to be the lucky, or unlucky, chosen ones. It is still to be seen.

When it is my turn, Leon dropped one gold coin into the hands of one of the men. Afterwards, I am left to go to the podium. A small bubble of excitement build up inside me with that also came some anxiousness. I already know that I have a good future as a soul mage. The path might not be as strong as in combination with another, but it can still deal out some major damage. They simply don’t have a lot of attacking methods early on. I really don’t want to be a knight. Not my style.

As soon as I put my hands on the Podium, it immediately lights up in a bright, blinding violet. My hands feel like they are in the middle of a tsunami made of fire. This pain is also accompanied by a sense of power. Strong, but ultimately fleeting. The power comes fast, but after some times it gets drained away. One of the most horrible sensations that I encountered in my life. It felt like becoming an apex athlete and then age and become weak in a matter of minutes. It didn’t feel like pain, but it hurt even more.

A hand takes me out of my agony, It pushes my hand down from the crystal. Both people, the short one and the taller one are so stunned, that they only came to themselves two minutes after the test ended. I am still asking myself who’s hands saved me from my agony.

„What’s your name again? “ one asks, not like a zombie as he did before. More like a friendly guy. Yeah, he was definitely an ass kisser. Alright, let’s play along.

„Osric Thale, sir.“ i say.

„Alright, go to the group.“  he says, sounding a bit let down, but also prideful at being called sir. No idea why he changed so fast or why he appreciated that sir so much. He gets talked to like that the whole day.

The group he talked about has around 40 other kids, it is located at the right side of the podium, fairly close to the entrance of the Tower.  One of them seemed like he wanted to talk to me.

„Hi, my name is Aryn. How are you?“ he asked innocently. Happy to see someone familiar among the group.

Seeing the familiarity in his eyes, I play along„Hey. Good, how are you?“ I asked back.

„Good! Hey, I haven’t thought that you would become a mage too. We are all going to be brothers and sisters in magic. Aren’t you excited?“ He asks, way too enthusiastically in my opinion. I am pretty sure that this life is not going to be all sweets and candies. Slowly I also remember him. He was one of my classmates. The only reason I didn’t forget him was his loudness about his failure of the class. Not that I care. If the world of the mages is like I imagine it, then he won’t survive that long

„Alright,“ I answered somewhat enthusiastically. Having friends never hurts. At least until I don’t need them anymore. I don’t care about his friends, but more about being seen as a nice person from the others in the group. They obviously saw my test and they are going to be the ones talking about it the most. Not coming over like a prick on the first day might lessen the backlash of jealousy a bit.

Before we could continue our chat - thank god I already grew tired of his overenthusiasm - the shorter guy comes over to our group, with the last kid that was tested a second ago. Back at the podium, many more children wait to be tested. We are just one of the groups of today. Most likely not even the first one.

„Alright, kids. Congratulations for becoming mage apprentices, or having the path for that unlocked. Follow me. My name is Ledrock. If you have any questions, it’s Mister Ledrock,“ said Ledrock. He turned around and walks into the tower. He is bored. That is apparent on his note and dialogue. He must have made this welcome a lot of times. Looking closer, I can spot a minute amount of pity in his eyes.

Finally, I have entered the Tower. The outside looks majestic and the inside does not disappoint either. This place is a type of lobby combined with anything else someone might need a clerk for. To the right are boards, presumedly for missions. Next to them are a dozen or so counters. All of them made similar to the bank counters in the 60’s. Left were dozens of hallways and a huge stairway. In the short time I had before our guide continued I spotted too, three dozen people going around.

„Follow me, first I am going to show you your dormitories,“ Ledrock said. While following him, he also explains the basic layout of the tower.

„Listen up. The first underground floor has the warehouse and the prison. The first floor, this one, has your quarters. And the arcane hall, where you will get your missions.“ He walks quite fast, some of the slower kids have problems keeping up with him. Walking around a corner, he continues. If the sign above the counters didn’t already write Arcane Hall, then now I am sure how this area is called.

„In the middle of the tower is the staircase. That is there at the left” He points to the staircase I saw a second ago. “Don’t forget, you only have access to the first underground floor and the second floor. Don’t wander where you don’t have permission to be or the consequences will be grave.“ He warned.

One of the students quips in. „Are we going to get thrown out?“ he asks. Oh, how innocent. One thing I learned early on earth is that nothing was free. The punishment and the opportunity come hand in hand. With an opportunity this big, what would the punishment be?

„I was talking more along the lines of death and horrifying mutations, but whatever floats your boat.“ He comments, a bit sarcastically. He almost enjoys the surprised and then the horrified expressions of the kids.

Now that is an honest one. Most of the kids are getting pretty scared, but some kept their cool.

„Can we quit?“ he asks.

„No,“ he said. Then we arrive in the apprentice quarters.

„Pick one of the empty rooms. The empty ones have an identification badge hanging on the door. The ones without already have inhabitants. Put the badge somewhere and do not lose it. Without it you will be attacked by the array, wherever you go.“ Saying that he leans against the wall and waited, occasionally yawning in the process.

There seem to be around 200 rooms in this section of the dorms, and this is only one of many. It’s either that a lot of people choose this career or a lot of them die. I would say the latter. Else why would there be a need for that many dorms? This test gets done every three months. In the two hours I waited, I saw over 70 people getting in. This also explains the pity in the eyes of the guide for a moment.

The room I pick is at the end of the corridor. The ones next to it are already chosen.

I pick up the badge and put it around my neck. Next, I take a look around my room. A small one.

There is a bookshelf, a desk with a chair, a closet for my clothes and a bed. Pretty minimalistic, but enough for me. I don’t need luxuries right now.

After the room inspection, I leave my room.

„Continuing. On this floor there is also the dining area,“ he said while walking. We follow behind.

„The second floor has the library, the magical garden and the laboratories for you. Everything further up is not important for you. Note that if you see someone coming and going to the third floor, he is an official mage. Don’t disturb them or bear the consequences. And at last. Missions. For missions, you get contribution and library points. Without them, you will get nowhere. The first is for materials and the latter is for the library. Good luck. There is a small booklet on your desk, it has everything you need to know,” he said before leaving.

 

5