Care.
214 3 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I don't even know how I reached work that day, all that I can remember is that I collected all the glass shreds and I went with my daily routine in a half died state with my thoughts concentrating on that moment when Brittney held my neck.

The memories of my shift that day were foggy, I can't even remember most of what happened in the morning.

It wasn't till the evening came that I started acting a bit normal and I put my mask on, trying my best to act as if nothing was wrong.

But even with that the few shreds of glass in my pocket and the faces of Brittney and Judy kept on appearing on my mind, Judy with her embarrassed and troubled expression when I asked her if she was late because of buying me the gift, and Brittney with that mad expression when she destroyed the glass puppy.

While I was lost in my thoughts I heard Alex's voice greeting Judy, it wasn't till then that I noticed that Judy was standing there.

I returned to my senses first so I was able to see her looking at the keys in my hand, and the somehow hurt expression she had.

I knew what she must be feeling, she probably was wondering why I didn't use her gift even though I didn't have a keychain or anything like that.

Seeing that expression I tried to run away from it, so as I most of the time do when I'm frustrated and not sure about something, I just smiled beautifully and said:

"Hey Judy, how are you?" It was the only thing I could think of and my mouth blurted it out before I even had the time to understand it fully.

Judy greeted Alex before turning her head towards me and smiling:

"I'm great, and you?" It was the most normal of replies to what I asked, yet just that 'and you?' Almost broke my mask,

For some reason seeing her smile and hearing her question, and remembering what happened to her gift, it seemed as if something inside of me moved, and I swallowed the generic reply I wanted to give her.

I turned to Alex while doing my best to stop myself from crying right then and there.

"Hey Alex, can you please take my place for a bit? I have something to say to Judy."

"No problem." As expected Alex didn't mind and accepted happily.

I made Judy follow me and while walking I moved my hand to my pocket where the shreds were, I let Judy enter first before closing the door behind us.

I just stood there frozen with the shreds in my hand, I wanted to speak up and tell her about what happened but I couldn't, whenever I tried, Judy's face would come to my mind, along with how troubled she seemed and must have felt before finally choosing that gift, thinking about all of that my hand tightened around the glass pieces and tears threatened to fall.

I tried to hold it, I tried my best to calm down and think and act calmly, but I couldn't and before I knew it a sob escaped my lips.

"Sa- Sam, what's wrong are you alright?" Judy said as soon as she heard my voice, there was worry, confusion and apprehension in her voice.

I wanted to talk yet I couldn't, so I did the only thing I could do, I lifted the hand holding the glass pieces shakingly and I opened it slowly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Change of P.O.V: Judy:

Seeing the blood on Sam's hand I became confused for a second, but then before I even understood it myself I ran towards her and held her by the shoulders.

My reaction surprised Sam for sure, and it even surprised me after I returned to my senses but I didn't stop.

"Ju- Judy...?" Sam's voice between sobs had a hint of confusion, but I didn't care as I lead her to a chair while saying faintly:

"Just calm down for now, we will talk after I'm done."

I let Sam sitting in the chair while I moved to get the first aid kit before returning to her.

I knelt in front of her and held her hand gently then slowly and carefully I removed the glass pieces one by one, some of them were deeply in her hand yet she didn't even flinch while I removed them.

Lifting my head to look at her face I saw that she was just looking at me blankly, seeing her big black eyes looking at me without blinking, I felt my face become hot as I blushed and lowered my head hurriedly, returning to what I was doing.

After dealing with her wound and covering it with a bandage I was finally done, yet I somehow didn't want to release her hand, her hand was small and cute and holding it made my heart beat faster, but I knew that I had to let her go so I did with an unwilling heart, before saying to her:

"Now you can tell me what happened."

Our eyes met and she had a guilty expression mixed with sadness and pain.

My question seemed to have reminded her of what had happened to my gift as tears appeared on her eyes once again, seeing that I moved my hand instinctively and held her's while saying:

"It's alright, it had already happened, and also seeing your worried face right now tells me how much you cared about it, which is the most important thing for me, so just don't worry."

I did really mean that, when I gave her the keychain I did put all my feeling in it and wished for it to stay with her as long as possible, yet even though it broke so soon, seeing Sam's expression and how much she seemed to care about it I was even happier and my heart was beating even faster.

10