Peaceful
64 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next few days were like a dream, me and Sam lived in the same home, cooked and ate together, went and came back from work together, we spent most of our time with each other.

We didn't mention any of Sam's problems at all, we just lived each day and enjoyed it.

Sam's return to work wasn't something I was able to accept at first, but she insisted and wouldn't accept no for an answer.

And to be honest, after sitting down and thinking about it rationally for a bit, I had to admit that that was the best thing to do.

Leaving Sam on her own at home daily wasn't quite a good option, after all, I think it was just my overprotactiveness acting up.

Sam on her side became better, she started smiling more, her interactions with the others became better and she returned to her usual self in the shop.

Things went like that for around a week or so till one day when our shift ended Sam went to talk with the manager while I waited for her at the door.

"What did you talk to the manager about?" I asked on our way home.

"I was giving the manager an early notice, I told her that I will take a few days off the next week." She answered.

"Oh..." Is all that I said.

"It's alright, I'm better this time... Also I thought of something That might help me..." She said with a determined expression on her face.

"What is it?" She got my attention.

"We will talk about it more when we're home..." She smiled.

After that, the conversation went in a different direction and I let it be.

We returned home, took baths, prepared dinner before she finally brought it up again after we were done with our meal.

"Judy remember what I said before..?" She asked and I nodded.

By that point, I had already noticed that it must be something stressful that she wanted to do from the way she acted all that evening.

"I was thinking about what if I get panicked like last time when the time comes... I mean don't get me wrong, I'm not pushing myself right now, I do feel that I can try it again and that this time it will go better... But so I was last time.. Last time too I was ready... I mean I thought I was ready, and in the end 'that' happened.."

I nodded slowly, I got it really, no matter how much you think you're ready for something, when the time comes for it to happen, how you're going to act still won't be set in stone.

"So... I want to deal with it beforehand... The main reason why I acted like that was that I was afraid of my parents' reaction and how they might just not accept me at all... So in order not to react like that I just... I just need to ask them beforehand.." She finally said.

I stared at her lost for words, I didn't expect that at all. Her taking the initiative and doing that on her own wasn't something that crossed my mind.

"Sam, can you.." I started hesitantly.

"I will try, and I'm sure that it will be easier over the phone than seeing them in person, like this if they want me back I will mostly be excited over returning rather than being afraid of their reaction or the like. And if they don't want me... At least I won't be wasting my and their time by going to them just to be met by rejection..."

"Sam..." 

"It's alright, I've thought it through, I ready for whatever outcome.." Her voice and eyes were determined.

Looking at her like that, I took a deep breath before nodding:

"Ok, I will support you and be here with you. You have their number?" 

"... No.." She said while shaking her head weakly, I must have been showing quite a face because she soon added:

"But you talked with Dan, right? And said that he left you his number, you can try asking him if he knows their number."

It wasn't till then that I remember that, Dan did give me his number, but I just forgot about it with everything that was going on.

"Oh, I forgot about that." I laughed embarrassingly, before adding:

"Want me to call now...?"

The room fell into a deafening silence, but it didn't last long, Sam soon took a deep breath and nodded her head.

"Who's number should I ask for.." I knew that Sam's father didn't accept her coming out so I felt that she would choose her mom, but I still asked.

Sam closed her eyes took a deep breath before saying: 

"D.. Dad.."

I could barely believe it, it was clear from what Dan said that her mom was the one who showed sympathy and understanding and pitty, at least openly, while her father only did so in a not so clear manner, so hearing her say her dad was a surprise.

"But your.." I started.

"My mom might say anything to get me back if she's missing me truly... She might even say that dad wants me while he don't.. I... I prefer to hear the truth... Calling him is better.." She said in a faint voice.

"Sigh... Okay.."

"Also.. Ask of him not to tell them that I might be calling..." She added, to which I nodded slowly.

I stood up and went to get my phone, after returning to my place I searched for Dan's number and after taking one last look at Sam, I called him.

Waiting for the call to connect was a horrible experience even for me, not to mention Sam who I'm sure even stopped breathing and held her breath at some point.

"Hello? Who's with me?" Suddenly the call was connected and I heard Dan's voice, he didn't have my number as I didn't give it to him so not recognizing that it was me was understandable.

"H.. Hi Dan it's me.. Judy," I said while keeping my eyes on Sam, who had her head down all the time.

"Judy?.. Oh, Judy! What is it? Did something happen to Sam? Is she alright?" He was confused at first but it appeared that he remembered the name fairly quick before asking me worriedly.

I saw Sam's shoulders shake a bit at that. His voice was quite loud so I'm sure she must have heard him.

"No no.. Nothing like that, she's... She's doing great actually, you don't have to worry about her." I explained hurriedly.

"Thank God! That gave me a scare, I thought that b*tch did something to her, anyway, why are you calling me then?" It was clear that Dan wasn't just a bit relieved.

"Well.. I need Sam's father's number..."

5