Chapter 1
11 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The preacher continued his practiced speech, words dull and subdued, yet appraising of the deeds of her parental figures, and Enya took the moment to glance at the faces surrounding her, noting the sea of black formal-wear, hooded-veils and bow-tie tuxedos, words from afront blurring into a meaningless hum. A pile of freshly upturned mud and grass lay gathered beside two black coffins, and she gazed at it, eyes devoid of any emotion. Something twisted in her gut, and Enya groaned, ignoring the side-cast glances of her family as she hunched over. She had always hated funerals, and the fact that it was her parents residing in those confining coffins made the matter that much more unappealing. All she wanted to do was return to her home and remain in bed for weeks to come.

The weather seemed to agree with her mood, the sky a grey hue that had her shivering in anticipation, though no rain had yet presented itself, and Enya swirled on her heel as the pain in her gut worsened, heading towards the nearby overhang of an ancient church. She could sense the eyes trailing her and grimaced, wanting desperately to remark upon those pitying glances. While the news had arrived abruptly, it was not without foreknowledge of the outcome; Her goodbyes had already been presented, and she had no true intention of watching the empty shells of her parents be lowered beneath the dirt. There was nothing left for her here, she reasoned. 

Words from the preacher still reached her ears, and Enya sighed in resignation, ducking beneath the overhead archway of the temple. Thankfully, the drone was muffled within the walls, and she found herself automatically finding purchase on a nearby pew, one hand wrapping around her grinding stomach. Her head collapsed upon the seat before her, a migraine beginning to formulate itself upon her brow. Staring blindly at the ground, alone for the moment, her thoughts broke through the impersonal shield she had cast around herself. Shivers began to rack her form, and she pressed her free hand against her mouth to silence her whimpers. 

Enya didn’t know why her parents had chosen this particular church as their place of worship. It was relatively uninspiring, a simple cross etched into the woodwork of the archway the only symbol of its relevance, but they had made it a mission to commence once a week in this hall. And now, true to their dedication, they would be buried beside the structure they had once adored. She mourned for their loss, their physical bodies now exempt from her life, but relished in the memories she still maintained, and aided by the agony, she abandoned her promise not to break down, letting the tears fall freely now that she was away from prying eyes. 

A hand landed upon her shoulder abruptly, causing her to flinch slightly in shock. Enya had been certain she was alone, but as she glanced up, she was met with the sight of Romano Sr., an old friend of her parents and a retired pastor . He sat beside her, not a word spoken, eyes focused ahead on the broken figure of the cross, and eventually, she too joined him in stance, wiping her eyes of the evidence of her tears. Enya glanced down as his frail hand wrapped around hers, thumb rubbing consoling circles across her palm. 

“They were great people, your parents.” Her shoulders slouched- Enya was not prepared to listen to another pitying speech, but respect kept her seated. Instead, she merely nodded, refusing to meet the elder’s searching eyes. He continued to stare, occasionally opening his mouth as though prepared to continue in his preaching, yet then shutting it in resignation. Eventually, the senior sighed, dropping a hand upon her shoulder before rising. “I know you don’t want to hear this, Enya, but your parents are in a better place now.” She scowled at his retreating back as he strode towards a more frontward pew, kneeling to pray on his own terms, leaving her to her thoughts. Rising to her feet, she turned her back on the man and made her way towards the door, shoving open the oak. 

Rain began pelting down as soon as she exited the church, a heavy roar that erased all other noise. The preacher and convening party were nowhere to be seen, and Enya assumed they had returned to the funeral home to continue the process indoors. Ducking her head, she bolted for the gateway, desperate to reach her car and escape the wetness before getting completely soaked. Unfortunately, the graveyard was covered in dirt, the grass having died in the colder months, and it made the land slick. Assessing each step, she leapt one final bound towards the concrete pathway. 

Her foot slipped from beneath her in the landing, and before Enya could regain her bearings, she began falling backwards. Her arms flailed, desperately searching for something to grasp onto, but nothing came to her aid. A deadening crack split the air as her head connected with the concrete path, and blackness swiftly overtook her vision. 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Enya woke to the soft patter of raindrops against her forehead. She scrunched her eyes, rolling her head to avoid the chilly liquid, but the drops continued in succession. The ground beneath her was solid, unlike the plush mattress she had purchased for her bed, and as she rolled onto her side, her face sank into an unknown mush. Blearily, she strained her eyes open, wincing at the light that shone despite the rain. A pounding in her head brought to focus the most recent of her memories, and she strained to recall the events that had transpired. She remembered the monotone drone of the preacher, the calloused interior of the church, and then- it was as though her memories had gone blank. 

Carefully, she rose onto her elbows, gazing blindly down at the indent of her face in the soggy mud of the floor. Enya’s cheek felt wet, and she wiped at it, removing a smear of debris. Her bangs dusted across her eyes as she struggled to her knees, grimacing at the squelching beneath her, but she merely brushed them aside and ground her teeth in resignation. Vertigo struck her as she attempted to rise off the floor, and Enya dropped back down, body shaking. She felt weak, muscles fatigued as though she had run but miles without rest. A groan escaped her as she collapsed, elbows giving out. 

“What the hell-” She shut her eyes, breathing harsh. A loud snap alerted to her left, and she flipped onto her side. For the first time she noted the treeline that surrounded her, packed with dense foliage and colourful greenery. Her eyes widened, roaming the landscape in a combination of fascination and dread. Her home had been based in the urban centre of a heavily populated town, a concrete jungle of towering skyscrapers and apartments- even the nearby natural parks had not been as thickly overgrown as the obvious forest around her. A shiver racked Enya’s spine, and she once again struggled to her elbows, now fully conscious, ignoring the desperate shaking of her arms in order to press up. 

Another snap to her left reminded her of her initial concern, appearing closer in proximity this time, and she flinched. Whatever it was producing those sounds was obviously large and heavy in mass, and she dreaded that it might come across her weakened form and attack. She doubted that any human population resided nearby, as the treeline gave off the impression of having never been dirtied by civilized influence, and her mind conjured up only the most savage and vicious of creatures. Adrenaline flew through her veins, fear spurring her heart into a faster beat, and Enya drug herself onto her knees, slipping in the freshly slickened mud, but catching herself before she crashed down. Rain pelted her back, washing aside her bodily indents as she crawled to the cover of a nearby bush.

A loud growl rocked her core right as she entered the leafy shield, and she shook at the animalistic sound. From where she lay, soaked and muddy, she could just barely make out the booted feet that propelled themselves towards the area she had just been laying. Enya almost cried in relief; Shoes meant people, and people meant safety. However, before she could react, another set soon joined the first pair of shoes, snarls accompanying the arrival. The growling did not cease, and Enya grew nervous- people didn’t produce such animalistic noises. Was it possible these individuals had been escaping from some beast, and had led it straight towards her? Her heart stopped. 

The two people- for that was what she assumed them to be- appeared to be conversing amongst themselves, though their language was overshadowed by the growling. Enya could not recognize any discernible words, and from her view of the feet, it appeared as though the two were unconcerned with the noise, each perfectly relaxed and grounded. She shuffled uncomfortably, stilling when a twig snapped beneath her knees. Her breath caught as the snarling dropped, and the boots twisted to face her direction. Hesitantly, they approached, growing closer as her apprehension rose. Enya backed up, pressing herself as far as she could go, lest the individuals weren’t as friendly as they appeared. The wind whooshing through her lungs seemed obnoxiously loud, and she attempted to quiet it unsuccessfully. 

The sniffing of a snout, similar to the sound a dog would make, met her ears, and Enya froze. If they hadn’t known she was here before, the animal with them surely would. Hesitantly, her voice shaking, she whimpered. The approaching footsteps paused, and she heard a resounding growl answer her cry. The cover of the bush was suddenly ripped aside, exposing her and her shaking form for all the world to see. She started with a gasp as a pair of clashing fangs stopped inches from her face. The furry face of a canine met her eyes, ears strained forward and vision pointed with deadly precision. Enya screamed, cowering backwards to avoid the sharp teeth. Her eyes raked over the towering forms before her, orbs widening in shock as she registered their appearances. 

Two canids stood ahead, though not as normal predators would. Instead, they rose up, two hind legs supporting their towering forms and elongated heads. Their front paws were lengthened, almost symmetrical to the hands of a human with an opposable thumb to match, yet blanketed in thick, brash fur. Clothes decorated their forms, camouflaging patterns spanning the fabric, and each canine sported a heavily automated gun, also designed to blend in with the forested environment. Enya felt her head grow light with shock, and her muscles clenched uncomfortably tight. Surely she was hallucinating; there was no other explanation. This wasn’t possible. Her body collapsed beneath her, the adrenaline leaving her body in one hit, head dropping into the deteriorating floor, and eyes rolling into the back of her head. Bleakly, she heard the growling once again resume its progression, before her consciousness blackened.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

“Doctor Royce, you’re needed up front in sector B2.” The nurse seemed almost nervous, hands fidgeting before her as she spoke. Her eyes averted as the doctor glanced up from his paperwork, rising from his desk with a sigh. 

“What’s the tell?”

“Some hunters brought in an unknown species. They’re refusing to hand over the animal without some form of payment- said it must be pretty valuable if no-one can identify it.”

“An unknown species, you say?” The nurse nodded, ears lowering in respect as Royce approached. Her snout twitched. 

“We have some theories, but… We hoped you would have further insight first.” The doctor rubbed his chin, contemplative. As the head of an exotic animal clinic, it wasn’t unusual for rare species to show up, however, one so uncommon that it was registered as an unknown was a delicate situation that had to be threaded carefully. There was no telling what the animal rights activists would do if they caught wind of such news. Lifting his lab coat from its hook, he tugged it on as he padded down the hallway, the nurse trailing at his heels. She grabbed at his arm as they paused before a set of double doors, quickly removing it before the action grew disrespectful. “You should prepare yourself, Doctor. It’s- it’s not a pretty sight.”

“Thank you, Nurse-”

“Ellie.”

“Nurse Ellie. I’ll keep that in mind.” He nodded, before twisting and shoving open the doors with practiced movements, unable to recall the number of times he had repeated such an action. The sight that met him immediately had the fur on the base of his neck rising. 

Tension filled the room, the nurses flitting nervously around, desperately attempting to placate the two individuals who stood poised in the center of the room, but it seemed that no progress had been made as of yet. Sighing, he stiffened as the hunters, their guns still hanging precariously by their sides- despite the federal-regulated sign on the door, spun to face his advancing form. They gazed up apprehensively, noting the obvious height distance that spawned between them. Royce curled his lips in a grim smirk; their fear would be a useful advantage in coming to an agreement. 

“Can I help you gentlemen?” His voice was ever gentle, years of working around easily-frightened species having granted him the skill- still, a dangerous undercurrent breached his tone; he was not in the mood to deal with difficult owners today. The taller of the two men shrunk back, clearly sensing the deeper meaning within the doctor’s words, but his counterpart, naturally more defensive due to his size, stomped forward, unperturbed. Royce let the stirrings of amusement grow within his chest as the hunter began to speak. 

“Yeah, you can. As we’ve said, that-” He pointed towards a wire carrier on the floor, a muddied blanket blocking its contents from view. “-is ours. We foun’ it in the east-side of Tarrow’s Park. You want it, you pay. Got it?” He finished his speech with a glare. 

“My nurse says its an unknown species-”

“-I ain’t ever seen nothin’ like it. Must be worth a pretty buck.”

“Yes, well; perhaps it would be best if we could take it to the back to examine it, then we can settle on some form of payment. Okay?”

“Nuh-uh. I know how you medical folk work, stealing is what you do bes’, ain’t it? We want that money first, then you get it.”

“Sir, this is a respectable establishment, I assure you, we do not steal. We just need to ensure that the species is safe and secure, that is our first most priority. I’m sure you can understand.” The man crossed his arms, teeth rising in a snarl.

“You’re outta your mind if you think I’mma fall for that.”

Exasperated, his patience running low, and knowing that the situation was growing more dire the longer they stood around arguing, Royce tossed a glance to his nurses who stood silently in the background, observing their exchange with caution. He tossed them a stiff nod, and instantly they backed out of the room, each disappearing to their own quarters to resume working. The blatant scent of fresh rust was emanating directly from the cage, and the doctor was desperate to set the creature upon an examining table before it worsened in condition. Raising his hands before him, he allowed a low growl to breach his own throat. The other hunter, who had remained voiceless, stepped forward then, laying a hand on his comrade’s shoulder and drawing him back, nervously eyeing Royce. 

“I think we should listen to the doctor, Huck-”

“Ge’off of me. That’s my catch; I ain’t letting it go without comp, ya hear?”

“You will get your compensation-” Royce leant forward, towering over the hunters. “-After it has been examined.” They both stumbled back, eyes widening, but Huck- as he had been identified- gulped before tightening his hold around his weapon.

“Who do you think you are, talking to me like that?” His patience had been extended far enough, and with a snarl, the doctor snapped back.

“I’m the owner of this establishment, and you, “Sir”, are passing on my property. As I have explained, three times now, you will get your compensation, after I have examined the animal, and after I have deemed an appropriate price.” His ears rose, teeth bared as he pointedly motioned towards the automatics. “And unless you want to get the authorities involved, I suggest you get those guns out of here.”

Huck gawked, his jaw repeatedly opening as he sought an appropriate retort, but, unable to formulate a response, snapped it shut and slouched away, stomping towards the door with muttered curses. Before quitting the office, he twisted around, promising to return the next day. His fellow followed quietly after him, casting an apologetic glance towards the doctor before exiting himself. Royce sighed, irritated. He despised confrontation, but in his field, it was a necessary evil. Straightening the collar of his coat, he paged for two of his male nurses to advance to the waiting room. 

Forcing himself to relax, lest he say something regrettable, the doctor waited, hands linking behind his back, toes tapping against the hardwood flooring. Rather quickly, the doors from which he had entered previously were flung open, the nurses striding through. Royce had to applaud their confidence; it seemed, even with his momentary loss of composure, they still withheld trust in his leadership. 

Bluntly, he gestured towards the cage, noting with some concern that not a noise had been peeped from its confines, and then held the doors open as the creature was carted into an empty room. While his colleagues prepared the animal for examination, Royce rubbed a hand through his hair, stifling a growl in the base of his throat. It would do no good to dwell on those hunters. Grabbing a fresh pair of latex gloves, he exhaled deeply, calming his mind and body, before, with growing tinges of excitement, approaching the table.

0