Prologue (Oneshot)
289 5 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I'm sorry, but I'm breaking up with you. This relationship cannot work."

Those were the words that I heard from the love of my life. Everything was fine for me, living as a normal high schooler. Having fun with my friends, and spending romantic times with my girlfriend whenever there was spare time. Although there were some school works here and there, it was alright as it just gave me a sort of sense of usefulness to the world. 

Yeah. I was a normal teenager.

But... it happened.

"I'm sorry, Mr. and Mrs. Yang. Your son, Xiaojian, has ********. Although he still can live long, he must remain here in the hospital for him to be provided with the basic necessities to live. It won't be long before he went into a vegetative state."

"I-I see... Then, we'll give him in your care."

They basically gave me up. Not even visiting ever since I was brought here in this dull room. That's what matters to them anyways, people who can contribute to family. I was useless to them compared to my older brother, who was working as a proper member of society. 

On the first few days, my friends visited me. Even insulted me, with fun joking words like "Hey! Get up your lazy ass and let's play baseball! Hahahaha!" But I just had a fake smile, because I knew sooner or later, they will be sick of visiting me too, just like my parents.

I just had one hope in my life. My love. My girlfriend. Even after a few months, she still visited me every weekend, telling me various stuff about her life and just the world in general. Yeah. She was the only thing distracting me from the metallic ringing from the air-conditioners and the beeping of that monitor that measures various health related things in my body. 

But, even I was blinded by my own fantasies. Why didn't I notice that her smiles were like mine? Fake, disgusting, hopeless. It seems her weekly visits put a toll on her, as she was already working part-time plus studying for the top college in this country. Of course. All objects will be trash, for they shall be discarded once their usefulness were gone. 

Because everything I can do is move my eyes, I was basically useless.

 

My mind can't think of anymore things to keep up my sanity. Nothing changes anymore. I see the same white ceiling, hear the same ringing, feel the same bed, smell the same medicine. Unable to move, unable to do anything, unable to chase my dreams and passion. All because of the dice of destiny, losing the genetic lottery. If this is what I'm going to spend doing for the rest of my life, I wish I could just die. But I can't even kill myself, because I am unable to move at all.

If I can just utter one single sentence, this is what I would say:

"Fuck everyone, fuck God."

Everyone takes their freedom for granted, just being able to move is such a blessing. Yeah. If everyone can even feel just a little of what pain and sorrow I have for being alone for all this time, I would gladly give up my current life.

"Are you sure?"

I am so fucked up in the brain that I am hearing a voice, which I can recognize as the own materialization of my idea of "The Voice of God." Good job, brain. Trying to think of fun things for my boredom. I answer with a yes on my mind.

"Good answer."

I see a shadow of a man in my eyes. What? What is happening? I-it feels so hard to breathe. I-is this it? I feel a strong grip in my neck. Hahahaha!

Thank you, God.

Let me rest.


"Hey! Wake up! Geez! I'm sorry, Changchang,  okay?!"

I see a young boy blocking the sunlight. He grabs my shoulders and kept on shaking me. This led me to shout at him:

"What the hell are you doing?"

W-what? I can talk? Wait! A girl's voice? I can move?! I ran towards the nearest mirror, which is a little puddle just beside this little playground. I tripped though, as it was so long ago that I was able to run.

"Changchang, what is wrong with you today? Did you turn into an idiot?"

"Please shut the fuck up for a moment."

"Harsh."

Let me get this straight, I am a vegetative man who was stuck in a hospital, aren't I? If what I am seeing right now is a reflection of myself, does that mean that I reincarnated as a little girl? Reincarnation is actually real? Wow... I might be a little to harsh on God. Sorry. Now, I just need to blend in with the life of this girl that I just replaced.

"Then, who are you?"

"What? I'm still Jin! You hit your head to hard, didn't you. Let's go home. Mom needs to have you checked up."

The city we were in seems to be very similar to what I used to be in, in fact, it might actually be the same. A modern bustling city, with just enough apartment complexes for a family to live on. My "brother" and I entered one of those apartment not too different from my old home. 

"We're home. Mom, Changchang hit her head."

Quick, rumbles of steps approaches us, and I see a pretty woman standing in front of me. She was gorgeous, not to different from the looks of my former girlfriend. She was carrying a wet handkerchief. She kissed the bump on my head (which I didn't even notice at all) and gave me the cloth, with ice inside.

"Be careful next time, okay? That might make you into a much larger idiot than what you are right now!"

"Okay!" That was a bit cringy for me, trying to act like a cute little daughter.


It was a normal two weeks, trying to adjust to my new life. The first thing I had to train myself is that I had to pee sitting down, as sometimes I pee into my own legs because I keep forgetting I don't have a PP anymore. The next thing that I had to change was acting like a little girl, for my currently cynical attitude won't just cut it into this current society. Well, I can't help but brag about the amazing grades I have at preschool (I know it's stupid, but hey! I am top at something [You know, maybe bragging about being better than literal children is the most pathetic thing, Changchang {Woah, I just called myself Changchang. Cringe.}]) I have become so strange that multiple layers of my mind are fighting with each other.

There was an actual concern that I felt though for my now-caring Mom, who was so unlike my previous garbage parents. She was bedridden for days now, coughing like hell. That figure laying down on the corner of a bed, helpless, reminds me of my former self. Is this how my friends and my girlfriend saw me? This actually kind of sucks, but meeting her for two weeks isn't enough to garner tears from me if she dies.

The local medical specialist who comes to help Mom, who was obvious to me as a quack doctor, somehow also managed to catch the disease and stopped visiting a week later. And what do you know, she actually did die.

There was a funeral held after a couple of days, my father was apparently an overseas worker and so, he wasn't able to visit home until today. White envelops were given to us as it was custom to help the family during these grieving times. My brother was sobbing like hell, while my father was just hugging the casket. Well, death happens.

The next thing I notice was after a few more months, it seems that every adult I meet outside were coughing like hell. The local vendors, the my teachers, and even random passerbys all looked the same as my Mom during the first week before she got bedridden. Before I knew it, schools were closed, business were stopped, and the transportation was halted. My dad had an amazing foresight to bring us to another country just before that happened. Everything I saw was from the news. 

"Wow... a epidemic at ***** city. Spreading around the country... It seems that I had the virus too, but I'm asymptomatic. You and your brother too."

"What is asymptomatic, Dad?"

"Don't worry about it, Changchang!"

Then, just a few more weeks, and the entire globe has the disease. Full on lock-downs were enforced on various countries, streets were filled with protesters and violence, with signs like "We want freedom!" It was turning into a pandemic. Our city was called by media outlets as the origin of the new mysterious virus, which they fear-mongered as something caused by some stupid person eating a bat or something.

But, only I knew the truth.

I remembered my final days in that bed. And that final wish I had. I have no idea how exactly it happened, but it did. And now, I'm watching the very things I wanted right in front of my eyes.

Normal people suffering like I did.

Thank you, God. 

My wish is granted.

9