Chapter 6: Rekindle
98 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Yeaa... this chapter is kind of long. I want to close this arc and move onto the next one, hopefully, filled with things like combat, visiting towns, and exploration.

“… hmmm… Yawn…”

   Did I fell asleep..? what happened last night…

   I felt a ray of sunshine bathed my still closed eyes and I heard the sounds of birds chirping outside.

   It’s already morning huh? I had some pretty good sleep… I didn’t dream of being in that place this time... weird.

   I slowly opened my eyes and I saw Clara’s sleeping face, facing me real close.

“!!!”

   Wh- wh- what?! O- oh yea… I guess we both fell asleep… I remember that we…

   My face turns red as I silently watched Clara’s sweet slumbering face, her messy hair, and messy clothes. Her light breath tickles my red face.

   Having her face this close to me… feels so unreal

   As I watch her sleep, she does a little stretch and then opens both of her eyes, greeting me with her kind smile.

“Good Morning!” She said to me with a heartwarming smile.

   I was startled with her wake, I then get up from the bed and facing the other way from Clara out of embarrassment.

“G- good morning…”

   What am I doing?! I should’ve just got up from the bed instead of blatantly staring at her face…

“*giggle* there’s no need to be ashamed of, Dian,” Clara said with a sweet soothing voice and a giggle.

   I heard Clara got up from the bed and slowly walked close behind me.

“I’ll make breakfast, okay?” Clara said with a gentle voice behind my back.

“O- okay!”

   Clara starts to walk out of my room and head downstairs.

   That was close… I almost showed her my stupid, enraptured face…

   After my embarrassment fades, I start to make my bed.

   The last dream that I had… I remember It gave me a ‘Gift’… how do I check it..? is it [Menu] since the text window I received is familiar to a videogame's-

DING

“!!!”

   What the..? my info is a lot more detailed than when I first checked it…

   I hover to the [Special Skill], and I found the [Void] skill.

   [Void] – [Portal] and [Void] – [Pull]…

   So it wasn’t a dream after all… I truly did get a ‘Gift’ from It.

“hmm?”

   What is this question mark on the side of my skills?

   I touched the (?) symbol and a new window appeared.

   Interesting… this explained why my [Health] and [Defense] points increased, with my passive skills… but where did I get these skills?

   I then remembered when I ate Clara’s dish.

   When I was eating Clara’s dish, there was a loud noise and all of a sudden I get these three skills… it’s the [Absorb] one if I’m not mistaken.

   I close the Skill Info window and hover into [Absorb].

   Taking in Skills? Is it possible that the minced meat that Clara served got Absorbed and I get [Stamina Up] and [Tough Skin]? The [Sticky Glue] too… I remember when I try and taste the flower, it is a bit sticky...

“Diaan! Breakfast’s almost ready! Please wake Ellie up for me!” Clara shouts from downstairs.

   Looks like Clara already finished preparing breakfast… that was fast…

   I closed all of my room's windows.

   Ellie… after yesterday’s accident, I don’t know how she’s feeling now…

   I slowly walked to Ellie’s room and arrived in front of her door.

   I’m scared… scared what I’d get if I open this door… scared of what reaction she’ll give me…

   I slowly gripped my hand and putting it in front of the door.

   But I have to be responsible for my decisions… I don’t want to escape from it anymore…

CREEK

   Before I got the chance to knock on Ellie’s door, Ellie unknowingly opened her door and surprised when she saw me in front of her room.

“B- Brother..?” Ellie said, quickly hiding behind the door peering at me with a scared expression and shivering,

“…” I went silent, taking a deep breath and calmly breathing out, preparing for my answer.

“I… was not prepared to answer your question… and I chose to run away from it…”

“Brother…”

“Ellie… what I’m trying to say is that… you are too young for all of this.”

“…” Ellie started to sulk and sadly facing down.

“But don’t make my words let you down.”

   I patted Ellie’s head.

   Ellie was surprised, then she looks at my face with a single tear dropped on her face.

“I’ll wait for you to grow up, and when the time comes, I’ll give you my answer,” I said with a big smile on my face.

“…” Ellie was taken aback and her face turns red.

   I gently stroked Ellie’s head to soothe her.

“I… understand… Brother…” Ellie said with a faint smile and a relieved expression.

“Let’s head downstairs, okay? Clara is waiting for us.”

“Yes, let’s go!” Ellie said with a cheerful and eager look on her face.

   This is the first time I’ve ever seen her so happy… I guess I sorted this out nicely.

   We both went downstairs to the dining room. I saw Clara still cooking while humming a beautiful tune.

   She’s still cooking? I mean, the soup looks almost ready… and she is cooking the pan with her [Fire] magic..? There are flames under it but no sort of contraption underneath…

“Hey, Clara.”

“Hey, you two! Breakfast will be ready in a second.” Clara said with a happy look on her face then continues to hum.

“Then, I’ll help with arranging the table.”

“I’ll help too!” Ellie said eagerly.

“Okay, thank you, you two!” Clara said with a gentle voice.          

   Ellie and I arranged the dining table, waiting for breakfast.

“…” Clara tasted the meat with the wooden spoon she held on her right arm.

“It’s ready!”

   Clara served the dish in the middle of the dining table.

“Here’s breakfast! Sorry, it took a bit longer.” Clara said with a giggle and a sweet smile.

   Clara starts to split the dish into three.

“It smells wonderful, I guess the wait is worth it.”

“Hehehe, thank you,” Clara said with a faint blush.

   I felt a jealous stare coming from Ellie as both of them filled their bowl.

   Is Ellie mad at me..? she is pouting and won’t look at me…

   We three sat on our chairs, Clara and Ellie start to clasp their own hands.

“ᚻᛝ, ᛊᛋᚠ”

   I clasped my hands and started praying in my mind.

...

“Okay, let’s eat!” Clara said cheerfully.

“I can’t wait to eat your amazing cooking, Clara,” I said, reaching for my wooden spoon.

“Come on, you’re making me blush…” Clara said with a blush and happy expression.

   I felt a more sharp stare coming from Ellie.

“Mmmh!” Ellie pouts and turning her head to the side.

   E- Ellie is pouting even more from before… did she get mad because I complimented Clara..? she looks so adorable when poting like that.

“Oh, Ellie…” I said, patting Ellie’s head gently with a smile on my face.

“Mhh… hehe…” Ellie murmured with a small giggle, turning her pout into a small smile with a happy expression on her face.

“I’m glad you two sorted it out. Come on, the dish is going to get cold.” Clara said with a relieved and pleased expression.

   Clara and Ellie start to eat their dish.

   Let’s see what Clara got for us… hmm… seems like this dish is the same as yesterday, but this one looks more elegant and moth watering. Mashed potatoes with a sauce on top of it, minced meat on the side, peas, and the same flower that nectars gave a sweet fragrance to the dish. I can’t hold back and sink my teeth into this mouth-watering dish, but I want to experiment with my [Absorb] skill…

   I eagerly feast on the dish, turning my face to a happy expression.

   This dish is exquisite! But, I’m waiting for the loud ‘Ding’ sound… I wonder… what if I cast it..? [Absorb]!

DING

[Absorb] - Activate

 

 

 [Absorb] - Failed

   The level of [Absorb] is too low..? but I still get the [EXP] from the dish that I apparently fail to absorb. So, if I want to take a better Skill, I’ll have to level it up? The [Mastery] huh… I guess I’ll have to use this skill frequently.

“Dian, what are you thinking about?” Clara asks me with a worried expression.

“Wha!”

   I realized that Clara and Ellie looked at me with a concerned face.

   Thinking..? oh yea, I told them a lie about this…

“I umm… just curious what meat you use for this! It is soo unbelievably delicious, haha!” I said with a small laugh.

“Oh, I used boar meat that the other Elves hunt and share with us,” Clara said in relief.

“Wait… didn’t you said…”

   Didn’t the Elves shun them?

“Yes, even if we’re shunned by them, there are still a few of them that’s kind enough to share their hunt with us every morning by our door.”

“…”

   Even though the Elves took the vengeance onto Clara and Ellie, some of them still have the heart to provide them with their hunt…

   This reminds me of my Middle School days, where I’m shunned by the people around me at school. I was always a target by the bullies. People that I thought are my ‘friends’ during the 1st year of Middle School shunned me too, they are scared because they don’t want to be threatened by the bullies that always extort my lunch money.

   Of course, I didn’t tell my mother about it, because if I tell her, I’m sure the entire situation would be much worse. She asked me countless of times with a concerned and troubled look on her face, why did I look like I got beat up, and I always answer her with the excuse of “Fell from the stairs” “Accidentally hit the power pole” and other excuses. I always say that everything is “Fine and dandy” with a forced smile on my face, as not to worry and distress my mother.

   I always hid in my secret place when I’m at school, which is in the thick and bushy garden outside of the school grounds. I can’t stand being in class, or the school even. I always visit my secret place during the school’s recess.

   One day, I forgot to bring my extra lunch money, and the lunch money I had is already taken by the bullies that threatened me. It’s useless to ask/borrow money from someone or my ‘friends’. I went to my secret place and just sit there on an empty stomach.

Growl

“What should I do… I’m really hungry…” I said, sitting hopelessly with my back on a tree.

   I started to lose hope, and I once thought of ending this miserable life.

Tap Tap Tap

   I heard the sounds of someone's shoes tapping to my location.

“Dian!” Shouts a familiar voice.

“Mika..?”

   Mika looked at my direction after I said her name, out of breath, teary-eyed, and with a worried expression. She then walked towards me.

“Why didn’t you tell me?!” Mika shouts, eyes starting to tear up more.

   Mika is one of the people that I lied to about my situation. I didn’t want to drag my best friend into my chaotic life. Her class is farther from mine, so she never saw me get extorted or beaten up by the bullies.

“I heard gossips from my friends… why did you lie to me about this?!” Mika said, scolding me with an upset expression.

   Mika steps closer to me and then crouches with a leveled height as me sitting.

“Why… why did you lie to me, Dian…” Mika said with tears flowing down her face, looking at me with a disappointed expression.

“I…” I stopped and paused for a second, having a hard time answering her with her pained look at me.

“I don’t want to bother you… I don’t want to drag you into my problems… I… I can handle all of this myself…” I said with a forced, empty smile I always put.

   I already prepared for Mika to slap me to my senses.

“You…” Mika said while ducking her head.

   Mika then raised her head and looks at me in the eyes, and what I saw was my always cheerful, jokester, and always positive childhood friend, putting a sorrowful expression and tears covering her sad face.

“IDIOT!” Mika shouts then suddenly hugged me tightly, her face soaks my chest.

“Mika..?” I said in a shock, surprised that Mika unpredictably hugged me.

“Did you forget what I said 2 years ago?!” Mika shouts on my chest, tears flowing more and more.

   2 years ago..?

 

 

“…”

   That time when I got stuck on a tree branch… She cried, tightly hugging me, afraid to let go of me… She’s scared of losing me… what was I thinking… I really am an idiot for thinking to end my life… what about Mika then..? I can’t imagine her face if I really did it…

“… Mika…”

   I put both of my hands on her shoulders, then lightly pushed her so that I could look at her eye-to-eye.

“I’m sorry…I should’ve told you way sooner…”

   Mika is still tearing up and silently looked at me.

“I just want to protect you, Mika… I too… don’t want to lose you…”

“…” Mika silently soaked in my words and started to calm down a little.

“Dian…”

“But, I couldn’t even defend myself… I don’t know what to do…” I said while tears started to form in my empty eyes.

“You dummy…” Mika said slowly with a red face, she started to hug me again.

Growl

“!!!” I was taken aback, forgot that I haven’t had lunch yet.

“Oh… Pfft- hahaha!” Mika laughed, no longer putting a sad expression.

“Sh- shut up!” I said, I then pushed Mika from me, I crossed my arms and turned my embarrassed face away from her.

“Hahaha! Sorry, sorry. I forgot you haven’t eaten yet!” Mika said as she wipes the tears on her face, putting her usually cheerful face.

   This damn stomach ruining all of that… but I’m glad… Mika is no longer in a sorrowful state…

“I… I could share my lunch box with you if you want to…” Mika said slowly with a red face.

“Seriously?!” I said eagerly.

“Y- yes! Don’t get so excited, you dummy!”

   At that time, Mika shared her lunch box with me, something that I didn’t expect that a person would do to a person such as me that is shunned by the other students.

“I also could make an extra lunch box for you, you know…” Mika said with a timid look on her beet-red face.

“Really?! Thanks, Mika!” I said cheerfully.

“…” Mika went silent and put a small smile on her face.

   From that day on, Mika always carried one extra lunch box for me. At that time she also started to take a lesson on martial arts.

“Dian?”

“What?!” I said in surprise.

“Are you daydreaming?” Clara asks with a puzzled look.

“It’s…”

   Mika… I have to find her… I know she’s in this world… But I’ll have to tell Clara and Ellie.

“Clara, Ellie... I have something to say.”

“Wh… what is it, Dian..?”

“Brother…”

   Clara and Ellie’s expression turned from puzzling to a concerned and scared look.

“I have to find someone… who’s very important to me…”

“…” Clara and Ellie silently listened with a sad expression on their faces.

“I know that the person I’m searching for is in this world… so with that, I’ll have to find that person. I don’t care if that someone is out in space, I’ll keep on pursuing no matter what happens…”

   Clara and Ellie were shooked, surprised with what I said.

“If you’re willing to go that far… then... I understand, Dian…” Clara said with a downcast look on her face.

“!!!” Ellie was distraught about what I said.

   Ellie stands from her seat and quickly ran to me.

“You’re lying!” Ellie shouts with sadness filling her face, she then suddenly hugged me.

“Lies! Lies! Lies! You’re lying… please don’t leave us, Brother… don’t abandon us… sniff…” Ellie said, slowly turning her tantrum into a fit of sadness, she started to leak tears on my shoulder.

 “Ellie…”

   Ellie doesn’t want to let go of me… me… a guy that’s always shunned by the people around me? But, after I see Clara’s flowing tears, and heard Ellie crying hysterically… I understand… they don’t want to lose another person, a person that they care about, disappearing from their lonely lives…

   I hugged Ellie back.

“…” Ellie was in silence, still sobbing on my shoulder.

“Ellie… I too don’t want to leave you two…” I said, tears starting to form in my eyes.

“Sniff… sniff…” Ellie continues to sob.

“I just want to find that person…”

   I started gently ruffling Ellie’s hair.

“Dian…” Clara said, looking dejected.

“Ellie… I just want you to understand… that it’s not my intent to leave you two.” I said as I gently put my right hand on Ellie’s right cheek.

“Sniff… Okay, Brother…”

“But don’t worry, I’ll visit you again someday,” I said with a wide smile on my face, gently wiping the tears off her face.

   After a while, she started to let go of me willingly, and we all spend our time together for this one last day.

   Morning comes and I’m preparing my bag with things that I’ll need for my adventure.

“Dian.” Clara’s voice was heard behind me.

   I turned my head towards her voice and I saw her standing behind me, holding a couple of stuff.

“Hey, Clara.”

“So… you’re really leaving then…” Clara said with a lonely expression on her face.

“Yes…”

   It really pained my heart… but I’ll get nowhere if I don’t act…

“Before you leave… take this.”

   Clara handed me a sword, cloak, leather belt, and a book titled [Basics of Magic].

   This sword… it doesn’t look like an ordinary one…

   A shiny, silver-colored sword… it looks like it has been recently polished. The hilt of the sword is even made out of silver, unlike the swords that I’ve ever seen. I also feel a weird sensation when I touch the flat, like… there’s some essence of magic flowing from the hilt to the tip of the sword…

“You lost your memory, right? I remembered that you don’t know magic. I hope this book will help you remember them.” Clara said with her gentle smile.

“Thank you, Clara, but… this sword…”

“That… is Father’s memento… that sword is our Father’s pride and joy…”

“What? I can’t receive this…”

“It’s okay… I’m sure that Father wants you to have it… I can feel it…” Clara said with a little sad look and a smile on her face.

“Clara…”

   Is it truly fine for me to take Brandor’s prized possession..?

“Don’t you worry… are you ready with the preparations?” Clara puts her usual gentle and sweet smile with a happy expression.

“Yes… I’ll depart shortly.”

“Be… before you leave… may I ask for a k…” Clara whispered with a beet-red face, making me not hear her last sentence.

“Uhh… what was that, Clara?”

“Um! I- it’s- Nevermind!” Clara said in a panic, with an embarrassed look on her steaming face.

   Clara quickly turned towards the door and ran out of my room in a hurry.

“Um… okay..?”

   I didn’t quite hear the last word she said earlier… I guess it’s nothing, then..?

   I wore the cloak and the leather belt, I then put Brandor’s sword in the leather scabbard that comes with the belt.

   I look rather prepped, the only thing I need is- wait! Aren’t I on a ridiculously tall tree on a tree branch?! What should I do?! Should I ask for Clara’s help..? but I’m too embarrassed to…

“Oh well…”

   Oh yea, Clara gave me this book. I’ll read this book first before thinking of a way to get down, maybe the content in this book will give me magic for levitation… or something like that...

   I opened the book curiously, and what I saw was a language that I’ve never seen and Impossible to decipher.

“What is this..?”

   What kind of language is this? I can’t read it at all…

   I was disappointed and closed the book.

   Wait, what if I use the [Absorb] skill? Will I get something out of this book? Let’s try it… [Absorb]!

[Absorb] Activate

DING

   Hold up, [Absorb] worked?! Did I get 5 [Magic] points? Not only did I get a lot of [Magic] points, but Level 1 [Water] and [Wind] Element for my [Magic Aff.]?! This is nuts… [Menu]!

   I quickly hover to my changing stats.

     What?! My [Mana] increases by 250 points?! [Magic] rules! This doesn’t solve my problems with getting down from here, but it’s amazing nonetheless!

   But wait a minute… I haven’t checked the [Void] Skills…

   I hovered to the [Special Skills] and tapped both of my [Void] Skills.

   Nice! I can use the [Portal] Skill to (probably) find Mika! But the thing is… I don’t know where I’ll end up… No, I will not doubt myself anymore… I’ll find you.

“Brother…” said a familiar voice behind me.

“Hmm?”

    I turned my head and I saw Ellie, standing by the door frame, looking at me with a sad expression.

   Ellie walked closer to me.

“You’ll leave now… right..?” Ellie asks while ducking her head in low spirits.

“Yes, Ellie… I have to find my best friend no matter where they are.” I said with a smile.

   Ellie buried her face on my chest, then she looks into my eyes.

“You promised, right… you’ll come back here…” Ellie said, starting to tear up and sulked.

   I put my hand on Ellie’s head, gently brushing her hair.

“A promise is a promise… I haven’t given my answer to you, right?”

“… okay…” Ellie said timidly as she continues to bury her face to my chest, trying to hide her embarrassment.

   I packed all the things I need, then I continued to head downstairs. I find Clara and Ellie on the front door, waiting for my departure.

“Clara, Ellie. It’s my time I head out.” I said, putting an assuring face full of hope.

“Be careful, Dian… it’s really dangerous outside…” Clara said with a face full of worries.

“I know… but I’m ready to face them.”

   Let’s try, I hope this works… I’ll have to focus on the size…

   I raise my hand and focusing to cast the skill.

[Portal]

   A portal started to form in front of me, and I felt a slight pull from the portal's entrance.

“!!!” Clara and Ellie were shocked in awe.

   It worked! Looks like the portal could fit a person. Don’t worry, Mika. I will find you…

“Dian! W- what a spell… I guess you already remembered from that book…” Clara said in amazement.

“Something like that… I have to go now, you two…” I said to Clara and Ellie with a smile, trying to hold back tears.

   I slowly walked towards the portal in front of me but stopped to say a final goodbye.

“Clara, Ellie, goodbye! Thank you very much for everything…”

   I continued to walk into the portal.

“Dian!” Clara shouts at me and started running to me.

“Clara?!”

   I only need a single step to get into the portal. But before I step inside of it, Clara stopped me and suddenly hugged me as she kisses me passionately with tears streaming down her face.

   I was taken aback and let her do it until she’s satisfied.

“Promise me that you’ll come back!” Clara said with a pained expression and a red face filled with tears.

   I shed tears as I hug her back.

“I promise! I promise I’ll be back!” I said with a wide smile and streaming tears.

   We then let go of each other, I started to head back towards the portal.

“Diaaan!”

“Brother!”

   As my body gets swallowed by the portal, Clara and Ellie desperately tried to grasp my hand, but I’m already in the portal, and I can only hear their desperate cry for me.

   I’m coming for you, Mika!

   In a kingdom, somewhere in the world, there’s a gathering below the Castle’s balcony. Sounds of cheers filled the air, the entire crowd is filled with excitement and anticipation.

HURRAH

HURRAH

   A figure starts to appear on the terrace, along with one more figure behind him. The cheers started to dissipate, waiting for the figure’s speech.

“MY BELOVED SUBJECTS, THE LONG, AWAITED TIME FINALLY CAME! AT LAST, THE DEMON RACE AND THE MALEVOLENCE IN THIS WORLD SHALL BE TERMINATED BY THE SUMMONED HERO FROM THE OTHER WORLD 3 DAYS AGO!”

   The king-like figure pointed at the figure behind him.

“NOW! STEP FORTH O’ COURAGEOUS HERO, AND SHOW THE PEOPLE OF OUR THRIVING LIONEL EMPIRE A NEW HOPE THAT YOU'LL SHINE TO GAIA!”

  The hero behind the king steps forth into the balcony.

“HAIL OUR NEW SAVIOR OF THE WORLD!”

“MIKA!”

   The crowd starts to cheer out wildly and chanted their new Hero’s name.

“MIKA!”

“MIKA!”

“MIKA!”

3