Chapter 12: Journey
49 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“…”

   I find myself back in this empty nothingness seconds after I opened my eyes again. My body still entwined in chains originated from below, black nothingness, restricting every movement possible.

   Why…

Hehehe… we meeteth again t seemeth… Said a raspy and heavier voice than before.

    That voice?!

   I looked towards the direction of the voice and I saw the same figure covered in lavender-colored mist.

“Good morrow, Dian…  art thee joyous to seeth me?” It says with a little chuckle as It slowly levitates towards me.

   What do you want from me..?

“W'rry not, Dian.  I'm h're to giveth thee a hint.”

   A hint..? what do you mean..?

“The p'rson thou art desp'rately looking f'r is the…  in this w'rld…”

   So she is here?! WHERE IS SHE! TELL ME!

“HAHAHAHA! Thy caterwauling of desp'ration amuses me. Unf'rtunately, I knoweth not wh're the lady is, but I can feeleth t.  The lady is h're.”

   Damn it… DAMN IT! NO! YOU’RE LYING!

“T seemeth liketh mine own timeth is up.  Farewell, Dian.  alloweth us meeteth again anoth'r timeth.”

   W- WAIT! DON’T LEAVE! TELL ME WHERE SHE IS!

   It shatters into dozens of pieces and started to vanish slowly alongside Its mist.

   I desperately try to reach my hand to It, but to no avail, my whole body won’t even budge.

   NOOOOOOO!

“WAIT!”

“Huff… puff…”

   I found myself reaching towards the ceiling as I’m out of breath.

“Chirp! Chirp!” Sounds of birds chirping were heard outside.

   It happened again… GOD DAMN IT!

   I got up and sit on the side of the sweat-soaked bed.

   Just like that time… my body feels so scorching hot… sweats all over my body…

   I then opened the wooden window and sun rays shine this very room.

   It’s already morning..? even though it felt like minutes in that dream…

“Damn it… Mika…”

Creek

   A sound of a door opening was heard from behind me as I looked behind and saw a concerned Garren peeking from the door.

“You’re, uh… all good, kid?” Garren said worryingly.

“Garren… I’m perfectly fine… just a bad dream, haha…”

“You sure? Thank goodness then...” Garren said with a relieved expression on his face.

“You slept like a log since yesterday’s evening. Let’s discuss your reward shall we!” Garren said with his usual cheerful attitude.

“Okay…” I said as I wiped the sweats on my face.

   Garren then closes the door.

   It said that Mika IS in this world… that relieves me a bit, but… there’s no point reminiscing on this matter… I’ll just have to find her, whatever it takes.

   I got out of the bed and do a stretch, after that I walked to the door and opened it. I saw Garren sitting on the dining room chair looking rather calm.

“Have a seat, kid,” Garren said as he points to a chair across him.

   I walked to the chair Garren pointed at and sat on it.

“By the way… where’s Garcia?”

“She’s gathering some ingredients and spices in the forest.”

“What?! What if she-“ I said as I got up and slam my hand on the table.

“Calm down, she won’t go further into the forest like yesterday, I think she’s already learned her lesson,” Garren said calmly as he crosses both of his arms.

“I… is that so..?”

   I sat back down as I took my time calming down.

“Let’s get back on track… take these Silver Coins.” Garren said as he slides a pouch across the table at me.

   I opened it and count 10 Silver Coins in it.

“10 Silver Coins..?”

   Are coins the primary currency here..? what’s the value of these silver coins? Is it moderate or high value..?

“As I thought, you don’t know the value of the coins, huh? Hahaha!” Garren said with a laugh.

“Um… yes…”

   This is bad… I’m probably super suspicious if I don’t even know the currency in this world…

“Haha! Don’t worry, kid. Here, I’ll teach you.” Garren said with a smile.

“There are 5 types of coins. Copper, Iron, Silver, Gold, and the most valuable one, Sapphire. Each has values of their own. Copper coins are the least pricey of all, Iron coins are the normal everyday pocket money, Silver coins are pretty valuable, Gold coins are very valuable, and Sapphire coins are the most precious of them all, on the same level as a treasure. 10 copper coins are equals to an iron coin, 10 iron coins are equals to a silver coin, 10 silver coins are equals to a gold coin, but 100 gold coins are equals to a sapphire coin.”

   Interesting… so, coins are the currency in this world? Based on what Garren said, isn’t 10 silver coins too much?! He essentially gave me a gold coin…

“Ga- Garren! I can’t accept these! Isn’t 10 silver coins too much?!”

“Don’t fret. My daughter is incomparable to those silver coins.”

“But… Garren…”

“Hush, hush! Take it. You deserve it.”

   I tied the pouch of coins to the side of my pants covered with my cloak.

“So, where will you go now, Dian? What are you looking for all the way here in Kardia?”

   Where I’ll go… to be honest I haven’t a single clue where to go… but, I could probably travel to Lissen, the town that Garcia mentioned. There’s probably heaps of information over there.

“I’m looking for a person… someone very dear in my life… for that, I’m thinking that I’ll try and go to Lissen to gather some information…”

“Lissen, huh? That town is a good choice I’d say. A peaceful town filled with wonders… boy was I really happy working as a guard over there.”

   If Garren says so…

“Garren… where is Lissen? Which direction?”

“The town is north from this village, it won’t take long of a walk to get there. Just follow the dirt pathway to the north and you’ll find it.”

   North… I don’t know the Geographical map of this world, but it’s fine… I can deal with that later.

“Take this, kid,” Garren said as he handed me a paper scroll.

“This is..?”

“That’s the world map of Gaia, I feel like there will be a long journey ahead of you.”

   I opened the paper scroll that Garren gave me.

   So this is the world map… of Gaia..? the continents are vastly different from Earth… they stick… so, I’m in Kardia, right? The north of it is Montefia.

   I looked closer to Kardia.

Desa means Village. I forgot to save a copy of the close-up Kardia.

     Lissen is pretty far from here judging by this map… but the other towns are more faraway from it, so I don't have that much of a choice… no matter. This is nothing, she is more important right now.

   I looked around and saw a blue point called Ragalia on the map.

   What’s this?

“Garren, what’s Ragalia? Why is it blue?”

“Kid, Ragalia is a kingdom, the blue dot indicates a symbol of wealth, which is sapphire.”

   A kingdom? I wonder what kingdoms are like in this world… is Mika in one of these kingdoms? I guess I’ll have to find out.

“Got it, Garren. I’ll head to Lissen, and I’ll leave now.” I said as I roll up the scroll and got up from the chair

“If that is your decision, then. Have you made preparations for your travel, kid?”

   To be honest, I don’t have much to prepare. All the things  I need are inside my backpack, and I also have money that Garren handed to me…

“Yes, I have, Garren. I only need my bag and I’ll be off in a jiffy.”

“Really now? Hahaha! Oh, yea! Take this too, then.’ Garren said with a burst of laughter as he gave me a medal.

“Garren, please… this is honestly too much…”

   Why is he giving me all of this precious stuff..? I don’t really deserve an ounce of these…

“No, no. I think this is necessary. This here is my medal of honor back in Lissen, so I don’t have much use for it now… you probably don’t have an ID, right? If you show this medal to the guards in Lissen, then they’ll believe whatever reason you have.”

   ID..? you mean Identification..? what is it even for..? there are so many things that I’m not familiar within this world… for now, I’ll just accept it.

“Thank you, Garren…” I said as I bow my head and took the medal that Garren handed to me.

   I then head to the room and store the medal in my backpack beside the bed.

   I don’t want to lose Garren’s medal of honor. My backpack's a safe place to keep my valuables, so I’d figure I keep it here.

   I then wear my backpack and walked to the door into the kitchen.

   I continued my walk outside of the house, and when I opened the door, I see Garren waiting for my departure outside with a concerned look on his face.

“Watch yourself out there, kid… with the news of the Demon Lord’s resurrection yesterday, there’s no doubt that the world will be crawling with monsters, too…” Garren said worryingly while he crosses his arms.

“D- Demon Lord?!”

   What is he saying..? you mean like a Demon Lord that appears as a final boss in the RPG games that I’ve played..? you can’t be serious… oh god, Mika… please be okay…

“Aye… there are reports from the Duztan’s border, that monsters are increasing wildly over in Darkwood, and attacked the border of defense in one go. The guards managed to defend the border from the mass attack… for the price of heavy injuries and high death counts…”

“…”

“The unusual appearance of Goblins around the woods of Millet is a bad omen… maybe it’s related to the Demon Lord’s resurrection…”

   The words Garren spew sends a chill down my spine, making me shiver in fear.

“… I- I understand…”

   Demon Lord… do I really have what it takes for this journey..? a Goblin is hard enough for me… what about other monsters..?

   My thoughts make me shiver even more.

   Mika… please, don’t die by the hand of those monsters… god… I beg of you…

“So, what’s your choice?”

   My choice… I’m set to find Mika, whatever the cost… whatever it takes… I don’t want my fear to take over that…

“I… will still find her, even if my body gets destroyed, I still have to!” I said as my shivers gradually calmed down and I felt slight hope.

“…” Garren was in awe for a second.

“Kid, you have an iron will… if only I was like you, that day… she’ll still be here…” Garren said in amazement and regret.

   Garren sheds a tear, then he wipes it with his hand.

“There is no use lamenting the past… go, kid. Your important someone must be waiting for you.” Garren said with a face full of hope as he put his hand on my shoulder.

“And don’t be shy to come over here again, you will always be welcomed here…” Garren said with a kind smile as he put his hand off my shoulder.

“Thank you, Garren… farewell…” I said with a faint smile as I walk to the north.

   Halfway towards outside of the village, I looked over my shoulder and I saw Garren waves goodbye with a big smile. I then wave my goodbye towards Garren too.

   I should’ve waited until Garcia came back from her ingredient hunt, but I don’t want to bother her… I hope my travel is safe and sound…

...

Growl

   I really should’ve eaten first before I depart… I feel all sticky and awful too… I haven’t had a bath for over 3 days…

   Minutes have passed and I still don’t see a clearing anywhere ahead of me… did I walk in the wrong direction..?

   I glanced to my left and I saw a pond not far from the dirt pathway.

   A forest pond! Finally, I can drink and take a bath!

Rustle

“?!”

   I heard that…

   I concentrated figuring out the location of the noise and I heard it coming from a bush over in my left.

   I silently crouched and hid in a bush, trying to see what noise it was.

“…”

   A rabbit..? no, that’s not an ordinary rabbit… there’s a horn on its head. Do that rabbit counts as a monster, too? Whatever… I’m pretty hungry, I could try and hunt it… it is eating the grasses nonchalantly…

   I definitely can’t hunt it up close, and I don’t have anything ranged related… maybe I could use [Pull] again… the size of that rabbit is smaller compared to the goblin, so I’m sure that the Mana usage is not that much…

   I ready my sword and quietly pointed it towards the rabbit.

   I put my left hand up towards the unsuspecting rabbit.

   『Pull』!

   My left hand is cloaked with a purple aura as the rabbit glows purple all over.

“?! SQUEAK!” The rabbit screamed as it flew to my direction.

Grab

   I grabbed it by the neck with my left hand.

“SQUEAK! SQUEAK!” The rabbit screamed as it desperately trying to escape from my grasp.

“I’m sorry, little friend… I am famished… I’m so, so sorry…”

   I put my sword to the rabbit’s neck as my breathing gets fast and shallow.

   Oh god… I…

   For instance, I slit the rabbit’s throat.

“SQUEAK! Squea...” The rabbit screamed as it gradually gets weaker and dead in my hands, blood started pouring everywhere.

DING

THUD

   I let go of the dead rabbit and it fell to the ground, lifeless.

“HRRG-” I grunt as I hold my mouth.

   I then turned around and strongly keep my mouth shut with my hands, shivering.

   I did it… I did it… oh god… what horrible act that I did… killing an innocent creature like this… blood… everywhere…

   I closed my eyes as the pungent smell of iron gradually gets stronger and stronger.

“HRG-“

   I then ran to a nearby bush and vomited.

“Huff… puff…”

   I’m pathetic…

   I looked at the dead, lifeless rabbit on the ground again.

   Blood… I can’t stand them… seeing them is one thing… but the smell… is horrible…

   I started to shiver and feel sick on my stomach.

   Come on, Dian… you have to be strong… this world is not Earth… I can change myself… I can undo this… “state” of me…

   I covered my nose with my cloak as I reluctantly approached the dead rabbit.

   Come on… don’t breathe it in…. don’t look at it directly…

   I grabbed on its horn while I look away from it and carried it to the nearby forest pond.

   I… can I absorb this rabbit..? sorry, rabbit… may you rest in peace… [Absorb].

DING

[Absorb] – Activate

DING

[Absorb] – Failed

 

   Failed..? have I absorbed this kind of rabbit before..? on second thought, the meat that Garcia used yesterday… could it be these rabbit’s meat..? that explains what creature I got my [Sharp Hearing] skill from…

THUD

   I dropped the rabbit by the side of the pond.

   What should I do with this..? do I really have to skin it fi-

Rustle Rustle

   Sounds of sticks and bushes were heard and are rustling towards me.

   What’s that?!

   I quickly looked towards the direction of the rustle, and I see a young woman, around my age, carrying a blood-red sword on her right hand and wearing a blue and white dominant-colored clothing with long sleeves. She has an apathetic and cool face, gazing at me coldly.

“Oh… just a person…” The young woman said as she sheathes her drawn sword.

   What..? who is that..?

   The young woman slowly approached me.

“You… what were you doing..?” The young woman said with a cold gaze and a blank face.

   She… she’s scary… what should I do..? am I in trouble..? how should I answer her..?

   The young woman keeps on gazing me with her beautiful yet cold gaze, waiting for me to answer.

“I- I- I was just… trying to…” I said stutteringly.

   Stop stuttering! She’s- she’s still looking at me like that… am I going to get killed..?

“… trying to..?” The young woman asked as she turns her gaze towards the dead rabbit that I dropped.

   S- someone… please help…

Groooooowl

“…”        

“…”

   A sound of a mighty growl was heard from the young woman’s stomach as both of us stared at each other in silence.

   Was that… her stomach..? is she perhaps…

“Umm… are you… hungry, too..?”

“…”

   The young woman paused for a second, then nods her head with a faint blush.

“I- is that so! D- do you want to eat together..?”

“…” The young woman silently nodded to my question.

“W- well then… I’m going to gather some dry sticks… may I ask you to skin the rabbit, then..?

“… sure…” the young woman said with her head slightly tucked down.

   W- what was I thinking?! Am I really tasking the skinning to a girl?! Well… to be honest… she looks pretty reliable… I don’t think things are better if I try and skin the rabbit… I don’t want to feel horribly sick again… even thinking about it nauseates me.

   I quickly went on the search of the dry stick and twigs for the campfire.

  

 

   Minutes have passed and I gathered enough sticks for the campfire.

   I think this is enough… is she done with skinning the rabbit..? I got to hurry and go back!

   I rushed towards the forest pond, dropping a few twigs along the way.

   Hmm..?

   I saw the young woman tuck sitting on the ground with half-closed eyes, tilting her head back and forth slowly like she’s on the verge of falling asleep.

   The young woman then noticed me, then she’s back with her poker face.

“Ah! I’m sorry! The twigs were wet! It’s pretty difficult searching for dry ones…”

   I shift my eyes to the rabbit and it has been skinned and cut up clean and nice.

   She even cut up the rabbit into clean and meaty pieces… did she wait too long for me..? I’m so useless…

“… it’s fine…” The young woman said softly with her head slightly tucked down.

“Ermm… oh, yea! I’ll prepare for the campfire.”

   I dropped the dry sticks on the ground part of the side of the pond, away from the grasses.

   Now I just need to make a spark… but I don’t think these wet rocks will create it though… and I think I’ll have a hard time lighting a fire with a twig… I’m still this weak… what should I do…

“『Lesser Fire』” the young woman chant.

   The sticks started to get set aflame.

“?!”

   What the- was that her doing..?

“Uh… thank you…”

“Don’t mention it… it seems like you don’t have a fire element…” The woman said with a soft and faint voice.

   Wait… “Fire element”..?

“Err… right! I can’t use fire spells, haha…”

   I don't have fire element..? What does she mean by that… is that part of this world’s common sense..? is magic more complicated than I thought..?

   I then pick up 2 sticks and stabbed the meat, then I roast it on top of the campfire and wait.

   Now I just need to wait until it gets cooked…

“…”

“…”

   We both waited in silent and I can feel the continuous stare of the young woman as if she’s observing me with her cold look.

   Well, this is awkward… why does she keep on looking at me..? did I do something wrong?! T- the least I can do to lift this atmosphere is to talk…

“Ermm… m- my name is Dian, Dian Subagja… what’s yours..?”

   The young woman paused for a second as if she’s thinking of what to say.

“… my name… Isabella… Isabella Snow…” Isabella said softly while still gazing at me coldly.

   She is totally thinking of something sinister… am I being annoying..? should I just keep quiet..?

   She still looks at me, hoping I can continue talking.

   I mean… she looks like she wants to resume the conversation... is this really okay..?

“Umm… by the way… what were you doing in this forest, Isabella..?

“I… was on a Quest to fetch some herbs…”

   Quest..? is she one of those adventurers?

“You mean… Quest from a Guild..?”

   Isabella was a little surprised after hearing me, she then thinks for a second.

“Yes… from Lissen’s adventurer guild…”

   Lissen’s adventurer guild?! So, that means I’m closer to the town!

“Is that so… thank you for answering me…”

“…” Isabella was a little taken aback as she continues to maintain her blank expression.

   The aroma of burnt meat fills the air.

   That delicious smell… it’s cooked long enough, and the color turns darker… looks crispy too…

“It’s ready…”

   I grabbed the 2 meat on a stick and gave one to Isabella.

“… thank you…” Isabella said with a faint blush.

“Y- you’re welcome…”

   We did a prayer and then we start eating it.

   Crispy… the tender and juicy meat cooked to a perfect degree taste fantastic… I didn’t know cooking in the wild could be this satisfying…

   I then noticed that Isabella is still staring at me as she keeps on eating her share of food.

   Is… there something on my face..? why does she stare at me like that… but from the looks of it, she doesn’t seem like a bad person…

   Sometime later, we finished our food.

   So… what I was thinking… Isabella is an adventurer, right..? maybe I could ask her to go to Lissen together? But… will it bother her..?

“So… where will you go now, Isabella..?”

“… Lissen… I think..? my quest is already completed…”

“Uhh... so, Isabella… I was wondering…” I said as I timidly scratch my head.

“Hmm..?”

“C- could I travel to Lissen with you..? I… don’t know where it is exactly...”

   Isabella was surprised by what I said.

“… you may…”

“Really..? thank you so much.”

   It looks like she doesn’t mind..? but, at least she agreed to guide me to Lissen…

   I slowly reach my hand for a handshake, she responded with her handshake.

“Uh… nice to meet you, Bella…”

“B- Bella..?” She said in a fluster.

“Oh, umm… Isabella is too long to call… so… I want to give you a nickname… is that no good..?”

   What was I thinking… of course she wouldn’t like tha-

“Bella… I like that nickname…” She said with a faint smile and a blush on her face.

   She… likes it..? I didn’t know there lies a gorgeous beauty behind that cold expression of hers…

“Do you… um… want to be friends, too-“

   Crap! I didn’t mean to say that! It slipped out of my mout-

“Friends..? Hehe…”  She said with a giggle and a pretty red face as she tucked her head in embarrassment.

“Umm… so..?”

“I… I’d love to…” Bella said slowly and with a smile on her face.

   She’s… smiling..? why… to me..?

“Umm… right! W- why don’t we go to Lissen already, then..?”

“…” Bella nods quietly with her still red and faintly happy face.

   Bella began walking towards the North as I follow behind her.

     I… don’t understand… why is she willing to bother for someone like me… even be “friends” with me… I don’t deserve this… I really don’t… but, it’s fine. As long as I can find Mika again, I don’t care if Bella despises me sometime later… Lissen, here I come…

2