Chapter 22: Test of Skill
43 2 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   Instructor Drindont lead me to a secluded area where I saw 3 fields with training dummies on each of the fields, their distances are also different.

“Adventurer, are you a sword user?” Drindont asked as he looks at my sword beside my leather belt.

“Y- yes… I only have experience with a sword…”

“That is okay, mastering one weapon is more useful than learning more than one.” Drindont said as he rummages through a weapon rack, with only wooden weapons.

   Well… he’s right… I got [Swodsmanship] from my fight using a sword… the question is, can I get other [Techniques] if I fought using different weapons, I wonder…

   Drindont then hands me a wooden sword.

“Here, use this for your test.”

“Y- yes, instructor.”

“For the first test, you will strike that training dummy with the wooden sword. You may practice swinging your sword first as a warm-up, if you’re ready, just tell me.”

   Striking that training dummy, huh..? is this test about strength..? w- what should I do, my [Strength] stat is so low…

“No need to be scared, adventurer, there are two more tests which focus on you other skills. Not all adventurers are necessary to have high physical prowess.”

   There are two more tests..? so if I’m not good in this one, I won’t fail..? well… if the instructor says so, I’ll have to try my hardest with this one!

“Got it, instructor.”

   I then enter the field with confidence and started to approach the wood training dummy. After I’m within its striking range, I started taking my stance and prepare with the wooden sword that the instructor lends me.

   The weight of this wooden sword is not that far from Brandor’s sword… his sword is a little bit heavier than this one.

   I took a deep breath as I focus on my overall stance and balance. Moments later, I swung the sword in the air, just practicing my swings and getting to know what moves I could do with the wooden sword.

   Weird… I feel different when I swing swords now… the first time I fought those Goblins, my swings and strikes are awkward, like I don’t have the slightest idea how to wield a sword, and I still do… but this time, I feel like it’s a bit easier swinging swords, unlike before… I think my body moves on their own whenever I swing… is this the effect of [Swordsmanship]?

   I kept swinging and swinging up and down until I start to sweat and my body is all heated up.

   Okay… I think this is enough… now to tell-

DING!

 

   Wha-! I got a… an [Art]..? [Heavy Slash] Lv. 1?? And what is with this cooldown..? 6 seconds? Ugh… as much as I want to assess this ‘Art’ that I obtained, I have made the instructor wait for too long.

“Instructor Drindont, I’m ready!”

“If so, stand in front of the dummy, adventurer.”

   I then step to the front of the wooden training dummy and prepare my stance.

“You are free to strike the dummy anyway you want, I will give you the start and stop signal, understood?”

   Relax… you can do this… I’ll have to strike with my hardest and fastest strikes, then I think I want to try out the new ability that I’ve just obtained.

   I tighten my stance as I took a deep breath.

“Understood, instructor.”

“3… 2… 1… Go!”

   I started my strikes with quick slash all around the dummy. At that point, I noticed the difference between the first time I’ve ever wield a sword and this time when I have the [Swordsmanship] Technique. My strikes are a little quicker and straight, making it easier for me to recover after doing strikes and slashes. After a while, I stopped quickly striking and put all of my power into a single, heavy downward slash as I prepare the blow with the sword over my head.

   Here goes nothing…

“『Heavy Slash』!”

   I felt a surge of power after I said the move’s name, then I struck the wooden dummy with all of my strength. The single, heavy downwards slash made a pretty deep cut into the wooden dummy’s head part.

“Stop!” Drindont said.

   I stopped as soon as instructor Drindont gave the signal, then I return to my original stance as I felt out of breath and warm, making me sweat.

“Your strength is not that bad, your technique is also pretty good for an adventurer of your rank. Great job, adventurer.” Drindont said as he thoroughly checks the damage on the wooden dummy.

“T- Thank you, instructor.” I said as I lay off my stance and lower my wooden sword.

“Alright, now let us proceed to the next test.”

   I hand over the wooden sword to instructor Drindont and he puts it back in the weapon rack. Instructor Drindont then leads me to the field beside the previous test, now with a bow and staves in the weapon rack. The field itself is longer and wider than the previous one. Just like a shooting range, there’s something like an ‘X’ mark on the ground, and I saw a training dummy, in a reasonably far distance from the X mark.

   The thing is, the dummy in the distance is charcoal-colored, not seem like it is made out of wood. The dummy has some sort of bow shooting target on its head and torso. Behind the dummy is a pretty wide, light-charcoal colored wall, and I see some impact marks like small explosions.

“That is an anti-magic training dummy, made out of Leider metal. This test is to show your ranged-combat capability, whether you use bows or magic.”

   Anti-magic training dummy..? this world just keeps on surprising me each day…

“So, for the second test, you will try and hit the targets that are set up on the dummy’s head or torso. You can use the bow and arrows from this weapon rack or if you can use magic, use a staff.” Drindont said as he points to the nearby bows and staves weapon rack.

“Y- Yes, instructor.”

   This might be a big chance for me to try out the [Wind Ball] from the Great Wolf! I just hope this works…

   I took a wooden staff with an orb at the end of the staff, the instructor seemed rather surprised when I pick the staff. I then stand on the X mark.

   When I see the training dummy, it’s not that far away from what I initially thought. So, how am I going to do this..? do I point the staff towards the shooting target or something..? maybe it works like the [Void] – [Pull] special skill?

   I then point the staff to the training dummy’s torso, the biggest body part of the dummy, and a safe aim if I want to hit a target and not miss.

“I’m ready, instructor.”

“3… 2… 1… Go!”

   How do I do this..? do I just say the name of the spell, like my skills and art..? should I meditate or..?

“『Wind Ball』”

   The staff’s orb started to shine and a wind ball started to form in front of it, getting bigger and bigger each second.

   I- I did it! It worked, real magic! This is so cool! B- but how do I fire it..?

   The wind ball keeps getting bigger as I grow more confused on how to fire it. As I grow more panic, I immediately try to push the staff towards the target. Surprisingly, the wind ball fires at an incredible speed and flies towards the head part instead and the wind ball hits the target, slightly off the bullseye. The size and pressure from the wind ball knocked the training dummy back a bit when it hit the head, the winds inside it then dissipate.

   I- It hit..? it hit! All I did was giving it a push and it fired… magic is amazing…

“What?! Instant casting?! Adventurer Dian, do you attend the Academy of Magic?!” Drindont said with a shocked and devastated look on his face.

“Wh- What?”

   D- Did I just do something unbelievable?!

“To be able to cast a spell that big and instantly like that… only high-level students from Magic Academies can do that… or are you perhaps… a magic prodigy..? Drindont said, still in shock, his entire body is shaking lightly as well.

   R- Really?! I- wh- what should I do?! I didn’t know you have to undergo a process to cast a spell… but… come to think of it… Garcia was chanting something before she cast a fire…

“I- I whispered my chant earlier, instructor! M- maybe you didn’t hear it..?”

“D- Did you..? is it just me or I didn’t see your lips move when you were whispering your chant..? ugh… maybe I’m just overthinking this...” Drindont said as he wipes the sweats from his forehead slowly as he gets his bearings.

   I feel bad… shocking the instructor like this… next time I try and use a spell, I’d have to pretend that I’m chanting it… otherwise, other people would end up devastated like the instructor… so there are Magic Academies in this world…

“That was an excellent aim you have, adventurer… now, follow me.” Drindont said as he tries to calm down.

“T- Thank you, instructor!”

   Instructor Drindont then leads me to a resting place near the fields instead of the next field. He then takes notes on his paper for a while, then when he finished, he turns to me.

“You passed the test, adventurer.”

“Wh- What?! B- but Instructor! I haven’t done the 3rd test!”

   I passed???

“You don’t need to do the 3rd test, you have more than passed the rank raising criteria for F ranks. Your close-ranged abilities are pretty good, well-balanced posture, speed, and most of all, that one strike blow is enough to crack open a vampire wolf’s skull wide open. As for your ranged capabilities, it is excellent, you can pull off that level of spell and hit the target in a precise trajectory, big power, and pressure even if that was a low ranked spell. What’s more, is that you are more skilled than you look, which made this even more amazing.”

“…”

   I- I’m speechless… I thought I won’t be able to pass this test…

“Congratulations, adventurer Dian. You are now a rank E adventurer.” Drindont said with a proud expression on his face.

“I… Thank you very much, instructor Drindont!” I said as I bow towards the instructor.

“Great work, adventurer. Now, let’s go to the reception to change your rank, shall we.”

“Y- Yes!”

   I can’t believe it… I did it! I raised my rank to E! I can do it after all… but, now is not the time to celebrate this… I should keep getting stronger, doing quests, and absorbing the monsters… I am confident that I can make it to Rank B and above!

   Instructor Drindont leads me back to Cessa’s reception desk, as we arrive at the desk, Cessa was a little bit surprises to see me.

“Done already? T- That was quick… did you…” Cessa said worryingly.

“This adventurer has shown remarkable abilities, he passed the test and approved to an E-rank Adventurer. I’m sure this young adventurer will grow even stronger in the future.” Drindont said with a proud smile on his face.

“What?! You passed..? I- I’m deeply sorry for my rude assumption, I thought you failed the test…” Cessa said with a face full of regrets as she apologetically bows her head to me.

“P- Please raise your head, Cessa! I thought I won’t pass the test too…”

   So it is true… she also thought that I won’t pass the test either… I look really weak compared to other adventurers in the guild, and that is true…. I’m weak… but what I want is to change this weak me to a stronger me… I’m sick and tired of running away and protected by others…

“Once again, I’m deeply sorry for my rudeness. Now, may I borrow your ID card?” Cessa said, back with her usual pleasant attitude.

“Yes…”

   I took out my adventurer’s ID card and gave it to Cessa. She puts my ID card on a weird, flat device with a rune symbol on the surface and started concentrating as she reached onto my ID card.

“『Convert』”

   As soon as she said that, a burst of light started shining from the device’s surface for a second.

   The base color changed…

“Congratulations, adventurer Dian! You are now a rank E adventurer! You now have the privilege to pick up to D-rank quests!” Cessa said cheerfully as she hands me my renewed ID card.

“T- Thank you very much!”

“Once again, congratulations, young adventurer. I couldn’t be more amazed by your performances.” Drindont said as he pats my shoulder proudly.

Thank you so much, you two… I… I don’t know what to say…”

   Is this how it feels… being ‘congratulated’ by people..? why does it feel so…

   Drindont ruffled my hair amidst my disbelief.

“Yes, this is not a dream, young adventurer. You did pass the test.” Drindont said with a smile on his face.

“Thank you…” I said as I duck my head and looked at the floor, trying real hard to contain my tears.

   What kind of feeling is this..?

“Now that all things are done, I’ll go back to the training grounds, if you ever need fighting lessons, just come to me again.” Drindont said as he went back to the training grounds.

“…”

   As Drindont went back to the training grounds, I wiped my glistening eyes.

   Now is not the time to feel like this, Dian… you have to take a quest as soon as possible so that you become stronger…

“Anyways, what are you going to do now, Dian?” Cessa asked curiously.

“Well… I’ll probably take a quest…”

“Working immediately after the test, huh? what a diligent adventurer you are *giggle*” Cessa said with a smile on her face.

“I’m just… not feeling very tired…”

“That is a good thing, but don’t overdo it if you feel like you need some rest, okay?”

“Y- Yes… I understand.”

“Just bring the quest over here while the line’s empty… the other desks are pretty empty too because of the raid in Ralaph…” Cessa said, looking sad and downed.

   Why is she so sad about that..?

“Is something wrong, Cessa..?”

“It’s just… my parents live in Neuxo… ever since there was a report of a dangerous monster around there, I just… don’t know…”

  

“I- I’m sure it’ll be okay, so… don’t worry too much… I’m sure the strong adventurers that partake the raid quest will take care of it.”

   Cessa looked at me, a little surprised as she wiped her eyes and smile back.

“Thank you, Dian… I think the adventurers will take care of it too.” Cessa said with a bright smile on her face.

“Okay then… I’ll go and take a quest first, Cessa…” I said as I hurriedly head to the quest board.

   Parents… I wonder how mom is at the home… I hope every-

 

“!!!” I suddenly felt a stinging headache in my head.

   AGH! W- what… what was that..? my head… hurts…

   After the stinging headache, I felt when the loud voice in my head, my entire body started to shake a little and my walking is not straight, uncontrollable as I try to stand my ground and lean my body to the wall, the loud voice continues to ring in my head.

   The stinging headache subsided after a few seconds, and I was able to normally stand as my body stops shaking too.

   It… stopped..? I… don’t feel a headache anymore… what was that..? it was a loud voice of a man… why do I feel like I’ve heard of it before…

   I felt stares coming from the adventurers in the guild, looking at me with a confused look on their faces, some of them looked worried as well, I hurriedly walked and act normally.

   Damn it… I attracted too much attention to myself for that… whose voice was that..?

   AI quickly walked back to normal as if nothing happened after the pulsing and stinging headache subsided, hoping to disperse any attention towards me.

   That voice… I have heard of it before… but from who..? my head hurts every time I try to remember…

   By the time I arrived at the front of the quest board, it is meaningless to pry any further as my head hurts just to try to remember the origin of the screaming voice. There are still many quests arranging from F-S ranked difficulty, there are also new quests and the ones that I saw from yesterday.

   I just got promoted to E-rank, so I could probably take a D-rank quest, but it’ll be risky… I think I should just take an E-ranked quest just to be safe. Given that I can grow stronger from using [Absorb] on monsters, I should take a quest related to exterminating them.

   As I browse through the many quests on the board, there’s a quest that piqued my interest.

   This quest… exterminating slimes… those are monsters that resemble just a body of liquid, right? A live, sticky, and gooey monster from what I’m familiar with… the illustration of the slime backed my visualization of the monster as well. This quest sounds great. Slimes are creatures that don’t bleed red blood which reeks that pungent smell of iron I always hated.

   I took the quest after I finished reading all of the descriptions and brought it to Cessa’s desk.

“What quest are you going to do today?” Cessa asked with a smile on her face.

“I want to do this quest.” I said as I handed over the quest to her.

“Hmm… slimes, huh..? are you familiar with fighting them, Dian?”

   All I know is that slimes are elastic and very resistant to weapon attacks, but they’re weak to magic… that is a knowledge I know from games, I don’t know what they’re like in this world.

“I… have never fought a slime before…”

“Really? Even though slimes are pretty common monsters you can ever encounter.”

   She’s got a point… if it’s a low ranked quest, then it’s for sure that Slimes are common encounters…

“Before I became an adventurer, I always ran from it and stayed out of its way…”

“Interesting… but you don’t need to fear this species of blue slime, you only need to slash their core at the center of their bodies with sharp weapons. You can also use magic against them too. This particular one is pretty weak to magic, unlike its other kinds.”

   That’s a relief… so I can fight them with my weapon and magic, the blue slimes at least.

“Thank you for the information, Cessa.”

“*giggle* Not a problem! If you want to find a lot of them, they reside within the damp part of Hickory Forest. Don’t go at night, because there’s a lot of vampire wolves in the forest during nighttime.”

“I… will try my best to complete this as soon as possible… thanks, Cessa.”

“You’re welcome! Come back safe, adventurer Dian.” Cessa said as she waves her hand at me as I exit the guild.

   All right, I just need to go to the deep part of the forest again, but… judging by the monsters that tried to maul me and Liam yesterday, is this a bad idea..?  even before we reached the deep and damp part of the forest, we were attacked by those vampire wolves during daylight… what makes this day any different?

“Hey! Dude!” Shouts a familiar voice towards me.

   That voice… Liam..?

   I looked towards the familiar voice, only to find Liam, excitedly waving his hand to me as he walked to me with his usual energetic and cheerful face.

0