Chapter 22: Pygmy
52 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“The castle is the enduring legacy of the Ushers, a family of Archaeologist specializing in the occult and obscure cultures.” The Governor explains at the dinner table, he is seated left to Deimos at the head of the table and Apollonia is on the right as befit their ranks. Deimos looks at the giant family mural forever etched at the walls. The Ushers are a gloomy sort even with their explorer outfits yet most curious is one of the children. At the farthest side of the painting, a child with curious features.

 No, it is not a child.

“Governor, who is that at the leftmost?” Deimos asks Governor Hypnos while staring at the mural.

“Ah, you have a perceptive eye, my Duke. It is one of the Pygmy tribesmen, the original inhabitants of this island.” The Governor eyes dims.

“Where are they now?” Deimos asks curiously, he was always fascinated with the strange.

“They haven’t made contact with the town for years. They have retreated deep into Mount Celephais that even our most experienced hunter cannot locate them.”

“Why is that?” Deimos turns to see the tight face of Hypnos as he ruminates.

The Governor went silent, swirling the wine in his goblet.

“An unfortunate incident. This was before you liberated the island from pirate lords.” Governor Hypnos finally spoke as the dinner table went silent, “The Ushers were a pillar in this town. They were the first to mount a resistance against the pirates. They have achieved some successes but, in the end, they were betrayed. The people in these town with a deep loathing against the Pygmy tribe blamed them for the treachery though I see no records that indicates that accusation. Hundreds of pygmies were brutally murdered, lynched, and exterminated by those racial extremists which eventually join the pirate menace.”

“I did not know that.” Deimos stares at the mural, wondering if the pygmy in the mural survived.

“I didn’t either but it is my duty to govern this island and to know its history. I tried to made contact with them but to no avail. But enough of that sad story, my duke.” The Governor smiles wearily, he must have expended quite the effort to reconcile with them but ultimately failed.

“Tell me about the Agoge.” Deimos says quickly moving the discussion, aware of the gloom the sad tale has brought to the welcome dinner.

“We have been most successful in making the quota of Trainee Knights.” Hypnos says with an upbeat tone, “Our percentage is one of the highest in the kingdom even if our numbers are meager in comparison.”

“Then his death would disrupt that?” Deimos asks, worried that it might affect the performance of Ruhenheim Agoge.

“No, my lord. I think that the Agoge would remain as it as Captain Errol built a model for exactly this type of eventuality. He groomed talented Knights to replace him and developed a robust methodology in recruiting and training.” The governor waved his hands at the worry.

“That is great.” Deimos exhales. It seems the Captain Errol is a talented person in his own right. “Can you tell me more about the Captain and who will be the most likely to replace him?”

“Captain Errol Ledoux, forty-nine summers old. He was assigned as the Lycurgus of the Ruhenheim Agoge when it was established three years ago after your majesty liberated the island from the pirate menace at sixteen summers old.” The governor looks for Deimos for confirmation.

“Yes, I was sixteen at that time. Ruhenheim Island was one of my earliest mission.” Deimos nods. Anastasia and Apollonio looks at him in awe, they did not know the full extent of his mission as information is tightly controlled. Hermesia clicks her tongue, jealous at the prospect of subjugation.

“The same age as most of our Trainee Knights, my lordship must be a talented Knight.” The Governor bows his head in reverence.

“I am not a Knight.” Deimos chuckles. The governor looks at him as if he is joking but realizes that it is not the case.

“I apologize for my rudeness.” The Governor bows which Deimos waves off, “Please continue.”

“Captain Errol was a veteran of the Ultar Uprising, he led his company against the traitorous Kuoza Ultar at the decisive Battle of Jama.” Hypnos coughs and regains his composure to continue his explanation.

Decisive would be an overstatement. Deimos thinks. That was revisionist history as both sides suffered horrendous losses. Kuoza was a brilliant warrior-king with highly capable generals serving him, their forces almost surrounded the loyalist and would’ve been annihilated if not for the bravery of Ashegrim who cut through the iron defenses to strike down Kuoza in an epic duel which cemented the Angel Blade as the greatest blade master in Numidician history.

“I believe your majesty was there.” The governor comments.

“Yes, though I didn’t join the battle, merely observed.” Deimos answers. It was technically true to say that he didn’t join the battle. When Deimos saw the unfolding encirclement and the attack formation of Ashegrim’s forces, he deduced what she intended to do. Deimos rallied the last remaining reserves, even those who are injured, to flank the enemy and appear at their rear with blaring horns and waving flags. His surprise appearance at the rear caused a moment of panic in the enemies ranks which gave Ashegrim crucial time to break their defenses.

“That was most brave of you, my Duke. But I digress.” The Governor stops and continues “Captain Errol’s method were most effective as he opened the Agoge for everyone. Thousands of hopeful recruits applied to the program and his brutal selection sifted only the most capable. That is how we were able to produce such quality Trainee Knights.”

“How many have graduated from the Agoge?”

“Six hundred in three years with almost 95% rate of become a Knight and other 5% would become high-ranking soldiers.” Governor Hypnos swells with pride as he enumerated the figures.

“An admirable feat.” Deimos says to the Governor who is happy with the praise. “Then Captain Errol must be a popular man.”

“Of course. He is most respected in the Agoge and he is a friend to all-” The governor says but suddenly stops as if something is stuck in his throat, “Well, not all of them.”

 

0