Chapter 16 – Hiking
131 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

They were walking through a dense forest heading up towards the mountain peak. It was mostly filled with jagged rocks and sapling trees. Some fully grown sturdy trees have weathered the years and harsh environment. The bird population must have been high because Izoke could hear their insistent chirping. After walking for a while, Izoke noticed that Sumiko was slowing down, she looked very tired. Izoke remembered something, 'Oh, right now I am a player with level 30 and I am stronger and durable than all NPCs.' How can I forget that she is also just like normal people? It was already afternoon and the sun was going down. There would be more beasts/monsters roaming at night time, So he decided to stop and set up camp.

“Sumiko, I think we should stop for the day. It will be too dangerous to walk around at night.”

“... Ok, I am getting a bit tired,” Sumiko replied exhausted after taking a deep breath.

It was a rocky place so it was impossible to find a smooth surface. Izoke told her to sit and rest where she was for a few minutes. He walked around looking for any suitable place to spend the night. Sumiko agreed to his request for her to take a break. She sat on a big decayed oak branch on the ground nearby. Izoke kept an eye out for any traces or signs of high-level monsters roaming nearby. He searched for a while and found a suitable spot to sleep. There was a massive oak tree that had fallen over after being struck by lightning. The tree had either had its interior burned out by the lightning or moisture and decay had hollowed it out. The inside felt dry to Izoke so he felt it was a decent and fortifiable location. In front of the trees opening, there seems to be a little flat surface area too. Izoke peered into the felled trees opening. He was analyzing for any danger. The young bug player sensed nothing of note within the tree. Izoke then started collecting branches on his way to meet up with Sumiko.

Walking in the direction he had left Sumiko, he saw her lying on a large withered log. Izoke quietly approached and observed Sumikos state. She was sound asleep, 'Poor girl, she should have told me that she was so tired.' He examined her sleeping face and he noticed that she was quite beautiful. He didn't want to disturb her but the sun was already setting. It would be dangerous if they stayed out in the open any longer. He tried to wake her up by making a friendly parody voice, “Su...Mi…Ko – Su…Mi…Ko”. Izoke added extra effect by putting both of his hands on his cheeks. Hearing his voice Sumiko awoke, “Ah! It is already night! I am sorry that I fell asleep!.”

“Nah, it's ok, and it is quite rare for me to have the opportunity to observe a sleeping beauty. So, How could I miss such an opportunity?” Izoke teased half closing his eyes into a smirk.

“You were looking at me?” she huffed while giving a blushing glare.

“Yep, now let’s head toward the place I found to spend the night.”

“Ok”

Izoke led Sumiko up the hill to the fallen tree. Sumiko followed closely behind him using his footprints as a guide to determine what spots are safe to tread. After a few minutes of a careful and slow climb, they reached their destination. Seeing that Sumiko was quite amazed because she has never seen any trees as big as the felled one. They sat near the tree and its long roots were spread out beneath them. Izoke looked in his bag and took out a lighter. The lighter was an old brass zippo type lighter which Izoke bought in the last town they visited. He placed all the wood in front middle of them and ignited it. Sumiko was sitting on the right and Izoke was on left.

Grrrowwl!!

Sumiko's stomach growled hungrily. Sumiko's face went red with embarrassment.

“Oh, you must be hungry,” Izoke said and took out some food from his inventory. Izoke was keeping their food in his inventory because having it in a pack or bag could attract wild beasts. Izoke took out four large riceballs. Izoke felt rice balls would be best because hiking takes out a lot of energy. The rice balls were in a small box that on earth is called a "Bento box". He had lots of other food in his inventory as well that he had bought but he was rationing it for later.

“Here have some riceballs,” Izoke said as he handed her the Bento box.

“You should also eat!” She replied as she grabbed one rice ball and hurriedly handed it back to him. She was blushing something fierce.

“Thanks,” Izoke retrieved a riceball of his own from the box and took a bite.

Izoke also took out and shared some beef jerky with Sumiko. They also needed some protein after all their physical exertion from hicking.

While eating they talked about many things in Sumiko village, their hobbies, and so on. It was a nice and friendly chat and Izoke was happy to have a trustworthy companion on his journey. They talked for about two hours until they got sleepy. Izoke took out the two blanket he bought in town and gave one to her. The ground was also filled with soft spongy grass, So although they could sleep on the ground there it was not a good idea. A beast could easily sneak up and get a killing strike before anyone wakes up.

So they had two choices any experienced camper knew. Either they both could sleep snugly in the hollow tree together sharing each other's body heat or one person could sleep while the other keeps watch. Izoke insisted that Sumiko sleep first and he would keep watch. Being a player seemed to make Izoke not have to rest as much anyway. Sumiko felt bad about being told to rest first but her race went red when she considered suggesting sleeping together in the tree hollow.

Sumiko obediently went to sleep once her heart calmed down. Izoke covered her with a second blanket after she fell asleep. It was cold in the mountains but players never get hot or cold. So Izoke only pretended to need warm clothes. Izoke sat between the fire and the felled trees opening. He watched for monsters while tending the fire. He was feeding logs into the fire and keeping an eye on Sumiko to make sure she was alright. He had promised an old man he would keep her safe and he intended to keep it.

8