Author’s Notes: Post-Mortem
69 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I have no intention of continuing the Land of Change.

 

 

Sorry for the bluntness, but I wanted to get that out of the way and to avoid leading anyone on.

 

So anyway. Let's talk about this thing. The Land of Change was the first project long-term project I ever worked on. I think I learned a lot from it and I definitely had a lot of fun with it at the time. I still love the characters and I might even reuse some of them again in other words.

 

So what went wrong?

 

In two words: Dragon Tales. As The Land of Change continued, I hedged more and more towards serialized stories. I think that was fine. Then I got the idea in my head to try to write a light novel. A full Novella-length story that would have some tie in to Land of Change and provide new characters to play with. It was once again the first project of that scale I ever wrote and it killed my enthusiasm for this setting in a big way. I don't even think it's that bad? But, well, I really wish I had tried telling a different story.

 

But hey. What if I had kept up with Land of Change?

 

Well, I had some ideas.

 

The very first thing I had planned was to introduce a new domain and 2 new characters, the later of whom were both introduced in Dragon Tale. Then things were going to get interesting. Hero Heist to rescue the ghost of a friend? Makai invasion of a human world? Torturing Dante (who was a real shit bag. Or at least was supposed to be. Mostly I just wrote him being a punching bag for everyone else)? I was even toying with the idea of  sealed gods and the shroud turning from fog into a sea.

 

Basically I was just going to do random crap and see what came out. The real point of this setting, for me, was to let me play with the characters for each week. It wasn't intended to be serious, but to be a low-stakes place where I could play around with writing techniques and enjoy watching this fun cast of characters interacting with one another. Which, again, is really where I went wrong with Dragon Tale. But that's neither here nor there.

 

Of all things, if there's one thing I wish I had done, it was to write more DaiKami Dailies. They were quick and easy to write. They let me elaborate on the world a lot and they were great for showing off the characterization of the characters who "wrote" them. Finishing up the pseudo-academic Shroud Articles by Raven would have been great; as would have starting on the unrealized fashion articles by Beatrice.

 

If there's one thing I want to take away from this whole story, it's that I am capable of writing serials, but that I need to make sure I don't get bogged down in them. And that I don't let my enthusiasm for one work be brought down by another.

 

That plus also, it's a lot easier to write if I'm doing it regularly. Funny how that works.

 

Anyway. I feel like I'm rambling a bit. so I'm going to stop here. I'll be glad to answer questions in the comments? But whether you have any of those, I hope you enjoyed this trip into my past.

 

3