Chapter 7
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Is that noise I hear?"

As if a serpent appeared inside a camp, Gambit suddenly shuddered. He didn't expect her to come back this soon. He could still feel the headache brought by that dreaded pillow. The impact chilled him to his spine and up till now, he can't forget it. Therefore the when heard those words, he prayed to his god for safety from this demonic woman.

As if suddenly getting an inspiration, he turned to the figure in the window, hopping for some kind of help.

"Alright, this seat shall leave you to it. l..uh.. having something to care of of."

Without giving him any chance to retort, the being suddenly disappeared.

"Nooo. Please wait. Don't leave me here with her.  Wait a minute, why am I scared of some old hag? I'll just teach that menop-"

As if on queue, a pillow was sent flying towards my head and earned me another migraine. Tch, why are these pillows so damn heavy. Like a ton of bricks! 

Besides, what was that all about? Some weird glowy thingy just appeared and started to call my name weird, it's not weird you know. You're the weird name Gambit, your entire 8 generations are weird name Gambit.  I think I might be going crazy. Why has everything been weird ever since the accident?

...

Gambit, finally extricating himself from the currently unsolvable conundrums, decides to proceed back to his bed. With his hands in his head, he contemplates about his future. A future filled with either the usual lifestyle of endless unappreciated work and everlacking funds in his account, except a feeling in his chest suddenly appears. It's more of a feeling in his brain but he feels it in his heart. 

He knows somehow that if he decides to keep his life as normal as it is, he will still be the normal white collar worker till the end of his life. He might not even live that long on this blemished earth, but he knows that his life will be peaceful, certain in its predictability to an extent. 

Yet for some reason, either brought on by the strange events around him, or maybe a product of chaos theory, he feels like life is capable of going the wrong way. It would become worse than it is and he would wish for the currently mapped out life he built for himself. These two choices leave him a dilemma filled with conflicting emotions. He knows he can always make a choice or leave everything to the works of fate. Seeing no end to his thoughts, he decides to give up for the moment and return to reality. 

The smell of chemicals, the bland green color of the bedsheets under him, the dim sunlight peeking through the window, overcast by the brighter light approaching from under the door. This provides him a feeling so surreal that he has no choice but to escape the room. There was only one thought in his mind before he reached out to the help button," how boring". 

Deciding to to finally stride towards the natural light and its sundering nature. He continuously assured the nurse that he will be careful not to leave the hospital premises. For the first time in 6 weeks, he finally steps outside his medical chamber. Reaching the stairs, he immediately gave up and went for the elevator. He knew he couldn't have those dreaded steps in his currently lethargic state. 

As he headed out of his the elevator, he didn't notice a doctor who was leaning over a counter while signing documents suddenly slow down, an impish grin cropping up on his face. The doctor continued signing without any more changes, raising no one's alertness in the immediate vicinity.

Near the sliding door was a guard dressed in a casual black security uniform, with the top chest button opened, blatantly ignoring the dress code. Strange as it was, nobody seemed to pay him a second glance after either exiting or entering the building. He maintained a calm atmosphere to match his visage. Not letting you notice anything strange about him. Right after Gambit stepped out of the hospital, he turned to look at the doctor by the counter, a good thirty meters away like he was close, then likewise produces a smile of serious face. 

As if both parties needing no introduction, they disappeared at the same time. Regardless whether it was the security working the cameras or the people standing beside the two beings, no one reacted like anything was out of place. Not even a change of emotion.

Reaching outside, Gambit was greeted by a glaring sun, as if urging him to hurry back inside. Like a challenge to his dignity, he glared back at this arrogant enemy that dares oppose his peace. Not to be defeated by this mortal that dares fight back, it also glared at him more intensely. Without any of the two backing out, they were forced into a stalemate that remained for a few seconds, till reality suddenly kicked in and he realized what he was doing. 

It seems his brain got to philosophical for his own good and he completely forgot about the laws of science. Seeing as the ant philosophy doesn't apply to his current self, he once again gave up on his chuunibyou wish/fulfillment. This urged him to further forget and ignore the weirdness of the past few days and relish in the reality before him. He was too embarrassed to remain where he was and moved the nearest chair to sit and recollect himself. 

As he was taking in the sound of birds and insects around him, he completely relished in the peaceful feeling that assaulted him and he felt like a retired senior with lots of experience behind him. He didn't know why he felt like that, knowing well he's a youngster who just started his career.  He still gave up on these complicated thoughts and forcefully hypnotized himself into a meditative feeling. Even going as far as to calm his desires to check his phone. He finally felt the tranquility he wished for long.

....

An old man, going by his looks, was currently looking to ahead of him, displaying a look interest at the situation ahead of him. Towards the front was a bright sphere, extremely beautiful with its blue color and so bright it threatened to pressure all the light surrounding it. The sphere wasn't supposed to create noise but the spectacle on its surface seemed to create a kind of rhythm and resonated with a nostalgic sound in one's head. That's what got the old man interested, after all, there was nothing but the void all around him. 

Unexpectedly, a frown appeared on his face, driving him out of his tranquility. With practiced movements, he waved his hand a light blue screen hovered in front of him. He turned to look down for a moment and the brick he was standing on seemed to have drifted a few meters away. Not paying anymore thought to it, he returned his eyesight back to the screen. What he saw made him frown even further. It was young man, dressed in a white hospital gown walking out of a building with slow steps and suddenly started to glare at the sun. He realized the youngster must have been pumped full of drugs and just ignored him. 

As if realization dawned on him, he looked at the kid currently sitting on a bench trying to constipate or something. Without switching off the screen hovering in space, he waved his other arm. Shards of light lined up in his space vicinity. Grabbing the glowing shard closest to him,he walked forward completely disrespecting the third motion law.

As he proceeded ahead, the shards suddenly vibrated, and started rearranging themselves moving like soldiers in an orderly way while going towards the shard he's holding. He continued walking till he stopped two feet from end of the spread shards and waved his hands again. This simple movement somehow made the remaining glowing shards in the purlieu disappear.

All he was left with a long beam of light, about 6ft in length but he seemed to exert no strength in carrying it. With one slap on the glowing beam, it suddenly dimmed and what replaced it was a magnificently constructed weapon, with all kinds of  contraptions around it, yet this added onto its beauty. According to normal sense, it would appear to be M200 intervention. But everything about this weapon was like heaven and earth compared to it. 

After he finishing admiring his weapon for the umpteenth time he suddenly changed his demeanor and lay down on his belly. It was a bizarre situation until glowing blue board suddenly materialized under him with equal beauty to his weapon. Without wasting anymore time, he placed the tool on the board and placed the screen on top of it. Then he waited.

A few minutes had passed but there was still no movement from him, but if one looked closely, they would notice a series of blue lines randomly passing about on his screen, no one but himself knew what they meant. This silence continued for a few more minutes till without any hesitation, he pulled a small trigger lodged in a corner of his weapon. 

With practiced movements, he quickly, waved his arm the light blue screen disappeared into nowhere, but he didn't wave again for some reason, all he did was hold onto his weapon and quickly sink into the board, an occurrence that one might mistake for an illusion, if not for the previous extraordinary events. Right after disappearing into the board, it also disappeared, leaving behind not a tranquil silence that one might have expected but a  humongous shockwave that originated from where he was lying down that travelled in all directions and pushed the glowing sphere a distance back, almost letting it scatter around and burning a few asteroid in the nearby zone. 

Following that was a blue beam that seemed to disregard all space around it and move soundless and unstoppable towards a single point, not halting down due to the debris in-front of it or the natural phenomena that occurres in the current galaxy. It seemed to forge its own path and moved in its own path in a dimension outside the current one like it feared it would destroy the natural laws in the current universe. 

It may seem that the situation occurred over a span of minutes but not even half a second had passed. When the half second lifespan of the bullet had passed, it was already at its destination, starting to even burn a few hairs.

That's right. It was already touching the dried up hairs of Gambit, waiting to pierce into his skull as if it's meant to be. One could only imagine what happens next.

0