Ch.3: Crime Pays Pt.1
41 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It had been a long time since Jin Chenxi had been able to sleep soundly. Being able to truly rest and relax was a luxury that he hadn't been privileged to in his time begging.

So, waking up, and feeling as more refreshed at least mentally, the constant dull pain of his non-existent arm still there, did bring a peaceful smile to his face.

Though Jin Chenxi thought, his eyes narrowing a degree. Now isn't the time grow complacent.

Pushing himself into his lopsided lotus position, he began to investigate to see how much progress he made after yesterday's wild re-entry to the path of cultivation.

There is no true set way to divide the different realms, the only thing consistent throughout the wide and turbulent universe is the realms themselves. Different cultures divided them, how they see fit.

In the Bloom Empire and the world that it resides on the first three realms of cultivation are divided into six distinct steps. The later realms are, however, only divided into three.

Looking at his Dantian it was clear to Jin Chenxi how many steps he had walked yesterday. Third step. The sight changed his peaceful smile into a satisfied grin.

It wasn't a surprise, not truly, although his Meridians had been damaged, he'd already been through the internal realm before.

Meaning that his Meridians are wider than they would, normally be for someone in breaking into the internal realm, for the first time.

At the early stages the speed you rank up is determined by your rate of absorption of Qi, determined by the size of your meridians, more so than your insight.

Though looking closer at the Qi in both his middle and lower Dantians he notices that it looks a bit too wild, more akin to a whirlpool than the gentle lake that he was aiming for.

No doubt, a consequence of the speed at which he absorbed Qi.

He could easily fix the turbulent Qi, of course, but the sight did give him a short pause.

He wanted to walk a different path, didn't he? every problem is an opportunity in disguise is it not?

Jin Chenxi, however, opened his eyes, there was no need to press the issue for now.

There were more pressing issues that needed resolving.

The main one, of course, being money.  Continuing his life as a beggar wasn't something, he was willing to do. It would only slow his growth.

Although he had grown stronger, there were very few legitimate opportunities for a crippled, internal realm, teenager available in the world.

No one would hire him; as a guard, there was no forest housing; beasts, or rare plants in the surroundings that he could try his luck in.
This was a city that made its money from trade and production of high-quality goods like silk cloth, or talismans Afterall not from hunting. When was the last time you saw a one-armed tailor?

No. the only option available to him was the less legitimate ones.

Red hill had a few major factions that dominated its internal politics; the Bright Leaf sect known for producing high-quality weapons, the three merchant families hold an oligopoly over trade in the city, the Imperial office the representative of the Emperor, and the White lily Crime Syndicate.

The two dominant powers were, of course, the imperial office and in a distant second was the White lily syndicate.

The syndicate operated in multiple of the surrounding cities and made its money in trading illegal substances, hosting illegal competitions, and robbing traveling merchants who don't pay their protection fee.

The latter two were the way that Jin Chenxi was going to make his money.

His plan was quite simple; a show he can fight in the underground fights and once he'd proved himself join the raids on merchant caravans.

It may not be the noblest or most heroic way to improve your station, but it was the quickest and had the added benefit acting as training.
Life and death battles are the best way to get Qi pumping.

If he was a normal citizen, it would probably have been hard to find a recruiter for the illegal fighting ring.

Fortunately, he wasn't an ordinary citizen he was a beggar child. The Syndicates' biggest potential labor pool.

He knew just the man to go to.

Jin Chenxi stood up a sly smile painting his face.

"Time to get to work," he announced as he moved out into the early morning sun.

0