DK – TCW – C3
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lieutenant Ahrest was the head of the homicide department, as well as one of the best officers, and as a result, he was expected to carry out operations successfully. Right now, he was returning from investigating a crime scene along with his men. As he sat in the back seat, he listened idly as his officers discussed their investigation. He stared lazily out the window as various cars and people rushed by in a blur.

    “The perp didn’t leave that much evidence,” muttered the officer behind the wheel. “It’ll probably take a long time to solve this case…”

   “It’s to be expected,” replied the other officer sitting next to him. “But knowing our police force, new evidence will probably be found by the end of this week. It always turns up after a week.” He turned to the lieutenant. “Right, sir?”

   Lieutenant Ahrest was silent he was thinking about the case. No doubt it was the husband that did the deed, (To be expected with her one million mohn life insurance.) but finding incriminating evidence would be a challenge. Without it, the guilty party would walk away scot-free. (And possibly flee the country to enjoy his newly acquired one million mohns.)

   The radio interrupted his train of thought.

   “All officers within the vicinity of Numis Fields, report to 12 Grennings Street, President Richards Avenue immediately!”

   “That’s Mr. O’Nair’s house,” Lieutenant Ahrest thought, remembering all those times he visited on official business. “I wonder what happened.”

   “Officer, please turn up the volume of the radio,” Ahrest said. The officer complied, and the dispatch continued louder than before.

   “There had been a murder in Mr. O’nair’s residence. We don’t know all the details yet, but a detective is at the scene of the crime right now. They have requested backup!”

   The officer at the wheel muttered. “Another murder. As if we didn’t have enough to do.”

   “I wish people would stop murdering each other,” replied the other.

   “Officer, head to the station as fast as you can,” said Lieutenant Ahrest.

   After a little while, they pulled over at the station parking lot. They barely stopped, when the lieutenant yanked the door open, leapt out of the vehicle, and took off at a sprint towards the station.

   Entering the station, several officers stared at him, and ignoring the greetings of several officers, he quickly made his way to the chief’s office.

   “We just lost our only lead!” Chief Karma was saying on the phone. “Fine, I suppose I can go there. Just, wait for me and update me on what happened.”

   Chief Karma ended the call with Detective Rodney. He sighed, now that their only lead had been killed. He supposed that maybe his accomplices wanted to silence him.

   He was thinking, when someone suddenly burst into his office. He was startled, and he calmed down when he saw it was Lieutenant Ahrest.

   “Lieutenant!” Chief Karma said. “You don’t suppose that you could’ve knocked first? I was surprised by that!”

   “I’m sorry, Chief.” Lieutenant Ahrest said, gasping. “But I heard a very important announcement. Mr. O’Nair has been murdered.”

   “I know!” Chief Karma said angrily. “It was unexpected, now we don’t have any leads on that case.” He put on his jacket. “Come, now, Lieutenant. Let’s go.”

   Lieutenant Ahrest was surprised. “Where are we going?”

   “As the head of the Homicide Department you’ll have to take charge of this case, given the recent developments.” Chief Karma told him grimly. “As a high-profile murder, I suppose that I’ll have to be part of the investigation as well. Besides, Detective Rodney asked for me.”

    “Right.” Lieutenant Ahrest said, following the Chief outside. Once they were at the parking lot, Chief Karma went to his car.

   “We’ll take my car.” Chief Karma said, getting into the driver’s seat. Lieutenant Ahrest got in beside him.

   Chief Karma started the car, and they drove towards Numis Fields.

   “How did you know about the murder?” Chief Ahrest asked the lieutenant.

   “I was coming back from an investigation, when we heard it on the dispatch.” Lieutenant Ahrest said. “I thought about going to you first, but it appears you already knew about it.”

   “I was on the phone with Detective Rodney.” Chief Karma said, not taking his eyes off the road. “He was supposed to interrogate him.”

   “In any case, this will be your first case in a long time, then?” Lieutenant Ahrest asked Chief Karma hopefully. Chief Karma was the previous head of the Homicide Department, until his promotion to chief. He was one of the best at solving murders, but since becoming chief, he focused more on local issues, such as stamping out corruption.

   “I suppose so.” Chief Karma said. “To be honest, I’ve already forgotten how to do field work, but I guess I have no choice, since we need this case resolved quickly, before Mr. Krimzzon and Mr. de Ruhr start demanding stuff.”

   They arrived at the gates of Numis Fields. The guard was exasperated as he inspected their police badges.

   “Oh. It’s more of you guys,” the guard said, exasperated. “Alright, go in.”

  “I guess there are already a lot of officers inside,” Lieutenant Ahrest commented as they proceeded past the guard.

   “I suppose,” Chief Karma said, as he scanned the street signs that passed by the window.

   “Ah here we are. Grennings Street.” Chief Karma turned the car and proceeded towards house number 12.

   As they approached the house, Chief Karma noted that there were already several cars parked outside. As a result they had to park further away. It wasn’t that much of a hassle; it just meant more walking time. As they walked towards the scene, they were approached by Detective Rodney.

   “Oh, you’re here,” said Detective Rodney as he shook the chief’s hand. He turned to the lieutenant. “It’s good to see you two.”

   “It’s good to see you too,” responded Lieutenant Ahrest, as he shook Detective Rodney’s hand. “I’ll be heading to the crime scene now.” He walked off towards the house, leaving the other two behind to discuss.

   “I suppose since this is a murder, it’s going to be Lieutenant Ahrest’s responsibility.” Said Detective Rodney, shrugging. “I’ll finally be able to move on, then.”

   “That may be the case.” replied Chief Karma. “However, it would be nice if you could help out in the investigation as well. You’ll be sharing responsibility with Lieutenant Ahrest.”

   “Of course, chief,” said Detective Rodney. “I’ll help as much as I can.”

   “Speaking of help,” said Chief Karma. “It looks like Mr. O’Nair didn’t receive any last night.”

   “I wouldn’t say that.” said Detective Rodney. ”Someone helped him move on to the afterlife. Very harshly.”

   “When do you suppose he was killed?” asked Chief Karma.

   “The guards saw him enter at around eight last night, right before the storm, so he was definitely alive until then.”

   “He must have been killed sometime later then,” said Chief Karma.   “Perhaps the guards saw something.”

   “Unfortunately, chief, nobody entered after the storm started. They didn’t hear anything. Not to mention it was hard to see.”

   “Whoever it was must have used the storm as cover.” Chief Karma thought, and said, “Maybe it was an inside job? One of his neighbors, perhaps? Anyone could have done it in this subdivision.”

   “We’re going to interrogate them all, and try to find a motive.” Detective Rodney said. “However, it isn’t outside the realm of possibility that they didn’t know about it. Late at night, and a storm; I don’t think anyone could have heard it.”

   “Did you ask for forensics already?” Chief Karma asked Detective Rodney, who nodded.

   “Yes, but they have yet to arrive.” he informed the chief.

   “We have to wait for them, then.” Chief Karma said. “We have no idea when he died. If he died yesterday night, then that means that the killer managed to sneak in somehow.”

   “We’re going to get copies of the footage of the videocams as well.” Detective Rodney said. “Hopefullt they’ll be able to tell us something.”

   “Get them as soon as possible.” Chief Karma told him. “What can you tell me about your initial investigation, then?”

   “Sergeant Tohr and I didn’t get to discover much.” Detective Rodney said. “We’ve only checked around the house, and it didn’t seem like it was broken into in any way; and Mr. O’Nair didn’t seem to have any visible injuries.”

   “Forensics will be able to tell us more.” Chief Karma said. “Oh, and that lady you told me about. May I talk to her?”

   “Mrs. Burg? All right, then. She went back home.” Detective Rodney said. “She’s the one that found out that Mr. O’Nair was killed. I didn’t get to ask her questions yet. I was going to when you arrived. We’re standing in front of her house, actually.”

   Chief Karma turned to face the house. “All right, then. Let’s go.” he said, walking towards the house with Detective Rodney.

0