Chapter 2.p2 – Decisions
82 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was not long before people began to prepare to leave the city and retire as part of the transfer. Naire and I were waiting for the time to pass, the sun began to descend and people disappeared, leaving a feeling of loneliness in the city. The horizon was painting orange. In our free time we looked at things that were being sold. There was practically everything, from accessories to weapons, although we could not buy anything.

 

<< It's time. He should be about to finish loading his things. >> We took several steps down the streets adjacent to the main street. After advancing for a couple of blocks we found a robust man who finally finished loading the merchandise in the cart. Two horses were ready to move it.

 

<< Hello, sir. >> He said when he saw me. << Are you the one who needed help with the transfer? >> Naire asked. << Yes, I see, you are the adventurers. I thought it was a nobleman and his servant, excuse my rudeness. >> For a moment I imagined Naire dressed as a maid, that image was erased the moment I got a nudge on the side of my torso.

 

<< Although it's weird, I do not see you very well equipped. >> "It's true, we're not, in the least, if he knew he would probably tell us to abandon the mission." << We are magicians, we do not need any equipment. >> Naire clarified. The moment he heard that the man looked at Naire, and she looked away in response.

 

<< I see, I suppose it's fine then. >> Having said that, the man sat down on the front of the cart and told the horses to move forward. It was true that my statistics were mediocre, my legs ached from so much walking, and just thinking about walking continued to destroy my mental resistance.

 

<< Then ... What will we do? >> I asked. Naire thought as she walked beside me. << I guess we'll walk a little, and we'll get on the cart when he does not see us. >> "Poor horses that have to carry us." I thought. "But I would not like to walk all the way between cities." Having said that, we climbed before leaving the city, for our luck a cloth covered the place where the merchandise was deposited which made us invisible to the merchant's eyes. At the same time, we escape from the guards' gaze.

 

***

 

The sky had been completely painted orange, and the movement of the back was shaking us constantly. On a break from so much walking, I let my neck rest on the wooden surface. "What would I be doing now if I were there again?" - "If I had never died." I rambled.

 

For a moment an image came to my head. A spear crossed through Vigyen's chest, my hands wielding the spear. With just that thought my eyes widened and I proceeded to shake my head. A strong pain invaded my chest soon after, and a vision of my sister running through the meadow made my brain burn. "This is not normal, I have to ... ask Naire."

 

<< N-Na ... >> I stopped instantly when I looked at her again. It had not been long, but she was surrounded by an aura of tranquility. Her eyes were closed and in that instant I drowned my own words. The image I saw in front of me was something I did not want to alter. "I am also somewhat tired, even after sleeping all this time." I noticed that my limbs hurt.

 

<< Quiet! Or we'll cut their legs! >> Still, there was no time for more rest. The voice of a man was heard in front of the cart, but it was not our client. << Deliver the goods or go to hell. >> "What was missing!" I thought to myself.

 

"And having to watch this ruin so fast." At the same time I thought about it, I went to Naire and shook her shoulder. She opened her eyes slowly, and I commented in a low voice so that the one in the street in front would not listen to us. << Naire, for our bad luck someone is trying to rob us. >>

 

She took a couple of seconds to analyze my words, but then showed a smile as she arched an eyebrow. << Sometimes you can not trust the gods. >> She walked slowly and jumped from the wagon towards the dirt road. I could see how it advanced crouched towards one of the sides of the cart. A chill ran down my back and my legs stopped.

 

<< Look what we have here >> When listening to the voice of another additional man I could not avoid jumping from the back of the cart and rushing towards Naire. When I arrived I saw Naire fell from a blow to the stomach. Two men stood in front of her, both dressed in ruined clothes. They carried swords, which we did not have.

 

<< This one has a pretty face. Maybe she can help us. Do not even think about killing her. >> While I took several steps towards one of the sides I still had not moved. I saw those eyes lying on the ground, watching me. She was still smiling. "What are you trying to prove ?!" I pressed my fist hard, and before I knew it I took two long steps forward.

 

"Until now, a robbery is a robbery, but I could not abandon someone who helped me unconditionally." The cold that ran through my body, accompanied by the edge of death disappeared completely. "I do not want to die again, but I do not want anyone to suffer for me, even at their own will." I could not admit it.

 

The men turned slowly in my direction, I saw it as if it had been something in slow motion. The man's face struck against my fist as I applied the force of my body in his direction. For a moment I could see how the wind moved around me. I felt satisfied, but before noticing ...

 

<< Son of a- Who the fuck do you think you are?! >> Once again I could see how time slowed down around me. "W-What happened?" I was sure I had hit him with all my strength, but he recovered as if nothing had happened.

 

Once again a sword was heading in my direction, there was no way I could dodge it. The feeling of death was once again at my side. "I'm sorry, I'm useless. Even in your attempt to make me act, I could not do anything. " Red, scarlet particles rose in front of me, but it was not my blood.

 

<< Magic! >> I heard the scream of the other man who was also moving in my direction. Crimson flames appeared in the blink of an eye, the explosion that caused the combustion pushed me back slightly. As the surroundings clouded I could smell the burnt flesh and a scream broke the skies.

 

The man fell to the ground just like his sword, his body was completely unrecognizable and his clothes had disappeared. Instinctively I raised the sword with the intention of protecting myself from his partner, who was still in perfect condition.

 

When I looked at his location I realized that he was in front of me. In an instant I realized that everything I had tried to do so far failed, and once again I faced the danger of death. << Move! >> I heard a cry from Naire who was looking at me.

 

"Death, or death." There were not many choices. The old feeling of death ran through my body and the sword swayed sideways. The edge passed through the man's torso while he lost his balance. The sword almost fell out of my hand, but after grabbing it with both hands I dropped its tip over the man's torso. After a shout, I raised the sword again and it fell once more. The noise had stopped, but my head was spinning.

 

The client got out of the cart, and I could see how Naire lifted his hood quickly. I did not have time to do the same, but my mark was kept hidden by a bandage. I released several mouthfuls of air while I settled on my own knees.

 

My mouth overflowed in vomit that fell on the corpse of the assailant. << Congratulations, you went up a level. >> Naire commented with a mocking smile on her face. "She had said it, she had no mana to use a spell ... and even so ..." << Why? Why are you mocking me? Are you not afraid of death? >> I spoke as I tried to clear my throat.

 

The smile faded from Naire's face as she clarified. << Death is day to day. You have to get used to it or you will not be able to be my companion, much less continue towards the border. >>

 

<< Is your partner well? >> Our client asked. << Yes, he must be a little dizzy, that's all. >> "Man does not seem to mind either, today we kill two people, there was no strategy or mercy, the result of the battle was a brutal conviction for survival." Slowly I straightened, still holding the sword in my right hand.

 

The symbols on my arm danced, and to the beat of their movement I listened as Naire rushed us. << We have to keep going or they will close the gate. There's no time to waste. >> Our client nodded and climbed to the front. Naire took the sword from the corpse and climbed back.

 

"Death is day to day." << What ... what is this world? >> Blood stained my hands and my pants. This time it was not my blood. But did that make any difference?

3