System in the Afterlife
330 3 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Let me tell you, suddenly waking up to find a system hovering over you with your level and stats stated, is not as glamorous as novels portray nowadays.

First, there's a shock, then, of course disbelief, and scattered wanderings of whether you are dead (please not, please not!), in an awesome super realistic dream (oh, yeah!), or gone insane from reading too much shitty novels (always a possibility...).

Once a distant voice tells you that yes, you are indeed very much dead, you wonder how it happened and that same (very helpful) voice answers you with some gruesome and unbelievable details that you cannot remember for the life of you.

Then, as is typical in shitty novels mentioned above, you toss the thought of your death out the closest imaginary window, and proceed with the leveling. Because how everything happened doesn't matter. It doesn't matter whether this is a hoax, whether you are playing a game that will later benefit someone else (maybe there is a gourmet that wants to eat you when you become stronger because you will have lots of energy, or some shit like that). Well, the point is, nothing matters aside from your stats.

After getting all the "information", you gather your shit and realize that you are in a completely different world and, of course, you are only level 1. Because of course it's not possible for you to be higher leveled, even though you lived for, like, 20 years and physical education - and school in general - are mandatory. Don't they raise strength, constitution, agility, dexterity or, at least, intelligence? That's when you realize the truth that you always suspected - school is useless and time should have been better spent reading novels and mangas (and, of course, playing games) because now they seem (obviously) more useful.

Then you look around for monsters to kill, like slimes or goblins. But the sad truth is that there's nothing around you, and even if there was, you would probably run away from them rather than kill them. The logic is like this:

  1. slimes are yucky;
  2. goblins are scary, okay?
  3. I haven't killed anything in my life aside from some small bugs (and only because they were annoying and/or in MY room).

With dreams of quickly becoming a broken character dashed, you wonder what to do next. Because you are dead, in a different world, that may or may not be hell (the voice wasn't specific) and you are pretty sure that you still have to eat and sleep, however unfair that may be (you are dead after all).

That's what leads you to start exploring the surroundings (trees, trees, a bush, more trees...). You wonder if your current state can be called as 'being lost' seeing as you have never been in this world to begin with. Then you start walking. You walk for hours but the only scenery changes you see are in the number of bushes (there's more as you walk further).

Then, when the readers of your wonderful story start questioning whether they should nap while you waste your time counting bushes, you hear distant voices and come across a village. You look at yourself (wearing jeans, shirt, sweater and sneakers) and wonder if you will look like an alien to them. Because from your vast reading experience, the action always takes place in medieval-like ages.

Then you see that most people are dressed in modern (if a little old fashioned) clothes. You call the system but it doesn't come. People are looking at you strangely. That's when you realize that you have been shouting 'system' this and 'system' that and look positively insane to people around you. The thought that people won't hear your interactions with the system promptly erases itself from your mind (novels aren't always correct, okay?). Maybe system doesn't show up in the presence of other people?

A kind middle-aged lady walks your way and asks whether you are lost. You nod, because, honestly, you are dead tired, super hungry and really confused. Any philosophical wanderings about being lost that were on your mind earlier can stuff themselves, because you don't care. Anyone who as much as smiles your way is treated as half angel in your eyes. And the lady in front of you is a full on goddess of mercy and everything that's good. Rainbows and unicorns?

When you go to her house she hands you a phone (they have phones!!!) and tells you to call. You don't know who she wants me to call so you look confused.

She sights as if looking at a hopeless, mentally ill, but still very adorable child. She asks whether you have parents. You nod. She asks whether you remember their phone numbers. You shake your head.

Lady, can you stop sighting? I am in another world, okay? I doubt whether I could reach my parents even if I knew their phone numbers. Phone industry is not that developed, alright?

And anyway, you remember that in your phone your mom is under the name of 'Mom' and your dad is under the name of 'Dad'. If you had your phone you could have tried calling them but the voice forgot to include your phone into your afterlife. So the conclusion is: it's not your fault. Every other average adult would also not know their parents' numbers. It can be considered a blessing if one knows their own number nowadays.

You look into her pitying eyes and decide to give her some hope to prove that you are not mentally handicapped because the look you are getting is just too intense. So you tell her your address. You doubt that it exists in this strangely familiar but another world, but all the same. What would it hurt?

Turns out you had somehow woken up on the outskirts of your city (where you lived when you were alive) in a forest and walked to the closest village (in a completely different direction from the city, never hearing any cars passing by - however impossible that is).

And, oh, by the way!

You are not dead.

But you suspect that you could be mentally ill or insane (so the lady's pitying gaze wasn't completely out of place).

You don't know whether you dreamed up voices, or maybe hallucinated them. You don't remember what you did before waking up in that forest. You don't know how you got there. All you know is that you are still in the very same world you always lived in (or so the lady assures you) and that you are very much alive.

Then you return home and try to act like nothing happened when everyone questions you.

Hmm? Did something happen? I don't know, I took a walk and got a bit lost. So I shouted a few random words here and there, and thought I was dead and all... so what? Everyone has their moments! Maybe I went through a mid-life crisis!

(you are 20... *ignore*)

In the dead of the night, when you are alone in your room you try calling system (just to make sure).

Guess what happens?

6