Chapter 199
537 5 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

- Shari -

 

The morning goes as I presumed.

 

"Wha-" (Nia)

"Yes, yesterday was real. No, you're not going to get eaten. Also, avoid putting strain on your arm. While we're at it, drink this." (Shari)

 

At which, I put a flask with the stamina potion before her.

 

"That might provide your body the kick to get working again, but it's no alternative for a real meal. On that matter, if you talk to the man in the room opposite us, he might share one with you as long as you're going to tell him the stuff he wants to know. Believe me, you need some food." (Shari)

 

Since she's now up, I guess I can be on my way.

 

"Wait! Where are you going?" (Nia)

"To my job." (Shari)

 

She looks at me as if I just said something crazy.

 

"Get yourself comfortable. You're recovering. I'm on my way." (Shari)

 

Once I get to the shop room on the ground level, I stand surprised.
It's the boy and Michael who are currently at it to hinge a door into the entrance.
I need to say, this quite adds to the house.
At least, I can drop my guard a little bit in here with the added privacy.

 

"Uh, nice that you're helping, Michael. Despite... last night." (Shari)

"Do you think the boy could handle this by himself? But just saying, the quality is lousy. That thing has countless dents, it's actually a miracle it's still in one piece." (Michael)

"Hey, why do you think it was in the dump?" (Okin)

"Well, it won't keep anyone out who wants to get in, but it serves the purpose of blocking vision. Also, in this area it's probably better if it doesn't look fancy, or certain people will ask themselves what's behind it." (Michael)

 

I suppose so.
I can probably count down the time till we get raided just for being in the area.
Yet it's not like we have any valuables to grab.

Well, there might be my current potion experiment.
While I could put all the valuable stuff in our secure compartment below the floor, there's a bunch of more mundane stuff that would've been too clattering.
Foremost the remaining potion pots.
Or however I intend to call all these vessels filled with that mix of ingredients and my body.
Those would also be problematic to carry down into the cellar and I couldn't make use of the evaporation effect of the slime in such a humid space, which is exactly what I was going for.
Though, I suppose it's extremely unlikely that anyone will break in to steal other people's slime.
It's not even like there's much use for them, and the labels are crude at best.
Rather I'm only checking how much I can increase the concentration in case I ever want to try myself on creating a real mid-grade potion.
This ability has value in itself.

If ever things would really blow up for me and I’d have to leave the country, there might be a chance that I could still start anew somewhere else.
That doesn't mean I wouldn't be irritated if someone stole my prepared slime batches.
If nothing else, the pots were quite costly.
Though, for today we should be good.

 

"Can I leave you alone? I have to go to Tamarah." (Shari)

"But what about me?!" (Liqu)

 

Liqu seriously just popped out of the wooden floor.
That one must be hollow below the planks.
The creaking floor already indicated so.

 

"You heard them. I need you to guard this place in case someone comes." (Shari)

"Oh, but I spent so little time with you." (Liqu)

"Liqu, we're spending every fucking day together. There wasn't one single day-night cycle we remained separated. I held your goddamned core for you while you were laid up! You seriously have to work on not being as pushy. It shouldn't be asking too much to just occasionally being temporarily separated. You can trust me, I'm coming back." (Shari)

 

Liqu looks slightly dejected, yet isn't arguing.
It's kinda astonishing how much more reasonable she became.
Leaps and bounds for a slime, I would say.

After this, I arrive at Tamarah's place.

 

"Ah, there is my apprentice. I hope you've continued with your studies." (Tamarah)

"Uh, yesterday was quite eventful, so I only managed to read a tiny bit further. But on the bright side, I came up with some concoctions I could produce with what meager possessions I had at hand." (Shari)

"In my opinion, one should first acquire an understanding for the basics before going about experiments. However, at least you continued to engage with the subject. You wouldn't know how many give up just after they start only because the content is too dry. But remember slow and steady wins the race." (Tamarah)

 

I guess she means she doesn't expect me to start a revolution in alchemy tomorrow.
Nonetheless, when I show my ingredients I get a barely passing mark for the quality.
Which basically means they're potion material.
She's not really letting it show, after her speech, but I think she's mildly impressed.

After that, it's the usual alchemy stuff.
Filling up potions, let my slime check the temperature, getting accustomed to the different ingredients.
The repetition helps to ingrain processes into my core and I think I might really have a knack for this.

Yet a while before the usual end of my shift, Tamarah addresses me.

 

"Do you know what distinguishes low-, mid-, and high-quality potions?" (Tamarah)

 

Why that sudden question?

 

"Uh, how well you brew them?" (Shari)

"That's only part of the truth and as such can be considered completely wrong. You're right in so far that the difference between mid and low-quality potions originates from the skill of the potioneer as well as the quality and complexity of the ingredients. In that regard, being good at the job is a factor. As alchemy is a delicate craft, novices like you have to start somewhere, and many adventurers are cheapskates. There's naturally an abundance of low-quality going around, compared to what a seasoned craftsman can achieve. However, high-class potions are characterized by something else." (Tamarah)

"That would be?" (Shari)

"Simple. Magic. There's a limit to the extent of the results one can achieve with exotic ingredients alone. The strongest effects can only be achieved by letting a mage enchant everything you plan to use. The same goes with monster materials for weapons and armor. It's possible to have a mage with a compatible element to the ingredient to come over and boost everything before the mixing by channeling their magic into the components to increase the mana ratio. This way you can achieve twice to thrice the usual effect. In some cases, it could even be considered a waste not to do so if the ingredient is pricey. Naturally, you can still mess up and the grade drops down to mid-rank or worse because you're bad. So being good at the job is recommended." (Tamarah)

"Well, you said my energetic slime can help in that regard, though I'm not a mage." (Shari)

"I'm aware. They're not even interchangeable. However, I had some promising results by letting ingredients soak for a while. However, it would be much more effective to make use of both factors if you're in an enviable spot of having both of them. Anyway, what I initially wanted to say was that today one of my associated mages is coming over. So get back into your disguise if you don't want to cause trouble for me." (Tamarah)

 

"Ding"

 

The shop bell!
Damnit, she could've told me sooner!

 

"Tamarah, the door’s open, so I suppose you're here!" (supposed mage)

 

Shit, I need to quickly fix my looks before that man reaches the backroom.

 

"Yeah, yeah, Bokkan, you old geezer. It won't kill you to wait a minute!" (Tamarah)

"If I'm old, then wouldn't wasting the rest of my lifetime do exactly this?" (Bokkan)

"Not like you'd do much with it anyway!" (Tamarah)

"Whatever." (Bokkan)

 

Not sure if they're usually like this, but their exchange bought me the necessary time to get everything into order. I put on the mask as a finishing touch, which would've had impeded my vision if I'd done it earlier.

 

"Can I come in?" (Bokkan)

"Yeah, yeah. Not like you'd be of much use in the shop area." (Tamarah)

 

Good that I already made it.

A moment later, an elderly man enters who fits the cliche of a mage a bit too much.
Grey, unruly beard, something like a robe, and donning one of those gaudy brimhats.
A bit too much if you ask me.
Yet while I'm having my thoughts about him, he inspects me as well.

 

"Oh, who is this next to you?" (Bokkan)

 

Sometimes I'm slightly conscious about introducing myself to others while wearing a metal mask.

 

"Uh, Shari." (Shari)

"My apprentice. She's quite gifted by nature, so I'm currently teaching her the basics. That includes your contribution if you're fine with this." (Tamarah)

"Sure. But to think that 'the great Tamarah' would ever take an apprentice that might steal her show. May a cleric say again that god only shows his miracles in how our world works. There's one directly in front of me!" (Bokkan)

 

Not sure how I'm supposed to respond to this.
I'm not even very firm in theology.

 

"Bokkan's an earth mage, with a slight inclination to nature and life. This is extremely advantageous, as it covers a great deal of the general area an alchemist operates in, especially regarding boosting most herbs' effects. The special stuff might need an attribute aligned to the nature of the monster or plant the ingredient originates from, but he can help with improving biological effects." (Tamarah)

"What she's trying to say is that I'm basically a national treasure. Or at least one for alchemists." (Bokkan)

"And what I was really trying to say is that you're an old geezer that makes all his living by coming one day a week to pour some magic into stuff and the rest of his time is lazing around!" (Tamarah)

"Well, if not for this we wouldn't have such a deep, wholesome friendship." (Bokkan)

 

I'm still not sure if I'm seeing through their relationship.

 

"So, what do you have for me to do today?" (Bokkan)

"Several units of clearsprout, coratis grass, not to forget the veora vines, crea roots, and some more." (Tamarah)

"Shouldn't you have a healer come for the clearsprout?" (Bokkan)

"Does that make a difference?" (Shari)

"Sure it does. While I can boost the plant a bit, a real healer could directly amplify the healing effect. Not saying it would be completely for naught, but for a healing potion, an adventurer would definitely prefer the purely healing-imbued one. I can't believe that Tamarah would make this kind of mistake." (Bokkan)

"Because I don't. You should be aware that clearsprout has more than one effect. As most ingredients do. Be it accelerating bodily processes, minor disinfection, or even getting the body functions into order. For some concoctions, you want to focus on these. Something you should well ingrain into yourself, Shari." (Tamarah)

 

Did she have to say this in such an ambiguous way?

 

"I think we'll just go through them. But spare some energy. I have something special in store." (Tamarah)

"Well, consider me intrigued." (Bokkan)

 

The man starts to go about his business.
I need to say, it's slightly anticlimatic.
All he does is sit down at a prepared table reaching out with his arms to whatever Tamarah puts in front of him.
There isn't even any kind of glowing.
Well, apart from that stone Tamarah uses each time Bokkan is done.
I think that one must be similar to what the guild uses to check for mages, yet probably a weaker version.

They proceed in this manner until Bokkan stops, looking somewhat exhausted.

 

"You're seriously already dry? Didn't I tell you to be more frugal?" (Tamarah)

"You're as demanding as ever. I just need to meditate and replenish a bit. Then we can do whatever you had in mind. Why don't you already get started?" (Bokkan)

"Whatever." (Tamarah)

 

Tamarah walks over to one of the drawers and pulls some kind of glass out of a compartment.

 

"I admit, that looks interesting. What is this?" (Bokkan)

"That's a Horasa fruit. It's supposed to increase one's strength and endurance by far. Already by itself, the effect is clearly recognizable, however, I put this particular plant under special treatment." (Tamarah)

"Can you elborate?" (Bokkan)

 

Wait, this glass!
There's some residue of my slime!
She used parts of me for this!

 

"No, don't wanna. Just try pushing your magic in there." (Tamarah)

"As you wish." (Bokkan)

 

Like before the mage concentrates and his gaze grows distant.
Yet as quick as it began he settles back.

 

"Weird. I can't really push anything in there. As if the space is already occupied." (Bokkan)

"Hm. Disappointing. I thought I could further boost the effect of the slime soaking." (Tamarah)

"Slime soaking? You're really trying that? Didn't the academy dump this project, as it was too costly and the necessary preparations didn't justify the effects?" (Bokkan)

"Just good that I'm not the academy or we would still hit stones against each other and call it research!" (Tamarah)

"But the preparation of energetic slime must've cost a fortune. Not to speak of the transportation! You know that it deteriorates if not handled with special containers and extra special care." (Bokkan)

 

At this, Tamarah gives me a glance.

 

"I have my, sources." (Tamarah)

 

In other words, me.

 

"As you say. Well, I can't help you on this. Maybe try something simpler?" (Bokkan)

"That's on me to decide." (Tamarah)

"Sure, but as I'm no longer needed, I'd like to get my money." (Bokkan)

"Fine. Even if I'm thoroughly unimpressed." (Tamarah)

 

I can barely believe it when Tamarah pays him a whopping two gold coins for his service.

 

"Thanks. A pleasure, as always, doing business with ya." (Bokkan)

"Whatever you say. Now get out, I need to set up today's goods." (Tamarah)

 

And so this weird old man leaves.

 

"So, you're paying this Bokkan guy so he pumps magic into your ingredients?" (Shari)

"In simple terms, yes. This is even one of the easier jobs. Enchanting an artifact requires far more fine control to imbue the carefully laid out lines. Here he only had to saturate the ground components beforehand. I'm basically doing all the work here." (Tamarah)

 

Sure, a very Tamarah-like thing to say.
But I don't see a reason to correct her.

 

"What was this about the root?" (Shari)

"I was testing if I could saturate my ingredients with your slime on my own and it worked to a degree, yet it's apparently not possible to ask a mage for further treatment afterward. A bit of a disappointment, as specific mana with aptitude achieves better effects. Also, the effect isn't too different from just using the slime for the solution. I doubt I can increase my concentration that way in a meaningful way. Guess this experiment was a failure." (Tamarah)

 

I should think more deeply about how I feel about her conducting experiments with my body.

 

"And? How was your first dabble into mana infusion?" (Tamarah)

"It was... something else." (Shari)

 

That's for sure.

 

19