Chapter Eight: Magic Is Discriminatory
84 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lee nodded at Choice and led her to the library.

“What type of book do you want to read,” he ask and put his hand on a rising flat object. It made a sound and he gestured with his head into the well lit building.

Choice stepped into the building itself and stood flabbergasted at what she saw. All around her were books in shelves, she looked up at the glass ceiling and saw through it many books stacked up on shelves. It was literally a paradise of the written word. She’d never seen that many before in her life. Not at the palace, not ar Perpetual. She turned her head to answer Lee’s question

“You’re the librarian. What type of books am I allowed to read?”

“Um well,” Lee muttered and looked down at the device on his wrist, “family of students, here we go. You’re allowed to read anything on this floor. It’s got basic martial manuals, hidden histories, maps, novels. All the things a civilian would need at a library. But we’re better than others..”

“Alright,” Choice said and looked around the floor. So many books. She didn’t know where to begin. Since stepping into Internationale, it had felt like she had been transported to a new world. Diamond walls, wrist devices and huge piles of books.

“You’re allowed to use it until seventeenth hour in the day. Don’t worry if you don’t when that is. All books will return to their shelves at the right time. Also, you can’t take any books out with you. That privilege is only available to citizens of this city.” Choice calculated the time. It was around the tenth hour so she had seven more hours to go.

“Is there anything else you need my help with,” Lee said eagerly.

“Yes,” Choice said with a smile on her face, “Pardon my rudeness but what’s that on your wrist and can it help with selecting the specific book I need or can you help me with that.”

“Oh this.” He looked down at his wrist and up at Choice, “It’s a telepathic connection to the spirit of the library which knows all about the library. Only mages can use it. I can help you with anything you need to know.”

“Spirit of the library is not a joke is it? I thought so. I just realised you didn’t mention anything about magic when you were talking about what books I could read here.”

“Oh, I’m sorry. Books about magic are not allowed in areas where civilians can access.”

“No, nothing. Not even about what kinds of magic there are.”

“No I’m afraid we have zero books about magic.”

“What about storybooks. About magic.”

“Yeah we have those but anything describing legitimate magic has already been removed from this floor.”

“Damn it. I really thought I could get some help from here. I guess it’s just like the other libraries I’ve frequented.”

“Absolutely not,” Lee replied with vigour, “This is the Internationale library. We are quite frankly the best library in this side of the world. Our motto is we do the same thing but better. We for sure have books on magic, they’re just not available to you.”

“Okay, I got it. Still, if I can’t access any books on magic, can I ask you. It’s really a basic question and I’m sure you would information on it seeing as you are a mage.”

“Technically an apprentice mage but what’s your question?”

“I just wanted to know when is the best time to test if you have potential to become a mage. I mean can you try to learn magic at any time. Is there a best time for it?”

“Is that what you’re curious about.”

“Yes, I’m probably going to be getting married in the next few years and I don’t know if I’m ever going to come back here so best to get some knowledge so I can help my future children.” Choice tried really hard to say that sentence with a straight face. She wasn’t going to go tell a stranger the real reason why she needed help with this. Yes Lee was cute and very eager to help but she wouldn’t get anywhere by just trusting anyone who said they wanted to help.

“You’re getting married?” He nodded slowly,” That’s...Congratulations.”

“It’s not a done deal and it may not happen.” It would never happen. “But I just want to be informed for my future children.” Never having that either, I’ll just adopt some poor kid.

“Well I guess there really isn’t any rule against me telling what you need. I’m just not supposed to show you any literature on magic. There is an optimum time to check for magic, it’s age seven and according to the register all the Legume children have been to checked to see if they have magic potential.”

“All of us. Even Seph?”

“Yes Joseph Legume has gone through proofing. He doesn’t have any magic potential.”

“What about Cero. Does he have any potential for magic.”

“Cero Legume has been checked. At age seven, twelve and fifteen. He has above average magic potential.”

Now that was shocking news. Her little brother Cero was going to become a mage. Really. Choice thought about it again and eventually decided against that assumption. Her mother wanted Cero to be King, she wouldn’t have wanted him to study and become a mage as mages did not like living in mortal dwellings where there little mana in the air. Still, every other sibling, except Forrest who was discovered later in life, had been tested for magic potential and she hadn’t. Why the hell not.

“Is there a price for doing this test? I mean I wasn’t tested so maybe that’s the reason.”

“It could be,” said Lee with hesitance, “It is extremely expensive to test a child at seven. I think it costs twenty five thousand gold coins. At age ten it’s twenty thousand and at age fifteen and older it’s ten thousand gold coins.”

Choice opened her eyes and mouth in shock. This was where all the royal money was going? For anyone unaware, a gold coin was the same as a hundred silver coins and a silver coin was worth a hundred bronze coins. The entire revenue generated by Legume last year was seventy five thousand gold coins and it had been a good year because other countries had had problems with their weather and soil. Usually they made fifty thousand gold coins a year. Her mother had been willing to spend over fifty five thousand gold coins on testing for magic when ultimately he would never become a mage? What a fuck-up?

“Okay, alright. What if someone has magic without having a check done.”

“That’s impossible.”

“What? I’m certain it is not. A cousin of mine once used the wind to lift himself and I quite high up. And I am sure that he wasn’t tested for magic because his family definitely disliked magic. They preferred martial artists.”

“Oh, that’s just an ability or an inborn power. Magic is different.”

“Different how. Mages do unnatural things, my cousin also did an unnatural thing; ergo magic.”

Lee started laughing at Choice’s declaration. She looked at him in confusion. She was certain that she had not anything funny. She was not a humorous person.

“Sorry,” he said while still chuckling, “That was rude. I didn’t mean to be rude. It’s just, I remember my tutor telling me that what you just said to me was the common view of magic amongst non mages. I don’t want to lecture you…”

“No go on,” Choice said and found herself somewhere comfortable to sit. No knowledge was useless. Lee followed and sat next to her.

“Magic is the conscious manipulation and refinement of mana to suit the mage’s desires. All mages purposely use mana to do things, whether it’s moving a plant, making flowers bloom or hovering in the air. They are always aware of how much mana is used in every action.” Here is paused and looked at Choice who nodded encouragingly. “Most mages can use all four basic elements: air, water, earth and wind. They can also gather mana and increase their bodies capacity to use mana. The test that people take for magic ability, which is called proofing, doesn’t just check if you have the ability to use mana but also turns on the switch in your body that makes you aware of how much mana you are using.”

“Okay. And my cousin doesn’t have that?”

“No, what he has is an innate connection to one element. He will never be able to use another element and more importantly, he’ll never be able to increase the amount of mana he has. Not being able to increase your mana ability isn’t a big issue if your ability is small, your body will give you warning signs like a headache or nosebleeds if you are over using your ability but if you have a huge connection to an element like you cousin seems to have…” Lee turned and looked at Choice

“What?” She asked in alarm.

“Oh that’s bad. That’s really bad. After your cousin lifted both of you in the air, did he faint or collapse?”

“Yes,” she responded. They had now reached the issue she wanted to discuss and so she sat up straight, “What’s bad about that.”

Lee got up and started pacing. “Most people that collapse from that never get back up. Their body devours itself and they die. But if they survive that, they won’t be able to use their ability again.

“WHAT!” Choice shouted and stood up, “What does that mean?”

“I’m sorry for your cousin but his body will recognise wild mana as a negative influence and will actively resist getting in contact with element. That’s the only way to survive a collapse like that.” He said this apologetically and looked at Choice with sad eyes. This cannot be fucking happening. I didn’t come here to hear you’ll never be able to use magic again.

“Okay, I understand all that. But there must be a way to regain control right. You guys are mages and should know all about this.”

“I’m sorry. I’m just an apprentice mage and I don’t know everything but everyone knows that those kinds of people are never able to do anything magic related. In your cousins case he wouldn’t be able to blow even the lightest of breezes.” That damned assassin cost a lot. I can’t believe I’ve lost something I only had for a few moments but wait, I was able to use my power after I collapsed.

“I’m sorry do you mean that he wouldn't be able to use it at all. But he told me he was able to use his power but only a little of it.”

“I’m sorry Choice, he’s lying to you,” Lee said and put his hand on her shoulder. Choice looked at the hand and sighing, stepped back in a show of sorrow. He put down his hand.

“What if he got a check done. He’s twenty now, a year older than me but it can still work right.” Lee scrunched his face up in thought.

“I’ve never actually thought about that before but I think it wouldn’t work. The test checks mana but if your body refuses mana there’s nothing anyone can do. Also, most people who awaken an ability are those with potential for magic that never tested most likely because they couldn’t afford it. Even after this even happens to them, they still could not afford it.”

“Okay, thanks for telling me about this. Although it’s sad for Pete, I’ve learnt from this. I’ll start saving up so that when I get children I’ll have enough to get them checked.” I’ll start saving up for myself. My body obviously still recognises mana and I can still do magic. Barely and after much concentration but I still can do it. I’ll keep on practicing and when I amass enough money, I’ll go get proofed. I’ll also keep on looking for more info on this. There has to be something somewhere

“I’m glad I was able to help. That’s what us librarians are here for.”

“What about you when did you get tested?”

“Oh I got tested at seven, ten and fifteen. And every year after my fifteenth birthday, I’ve gone and checked my mana levels. Mages have an instinctive knowledge but it’s good to see visual representation of your progress and how much further you need to go to break through. I’ve done it for three years and it’s really helped me.”

“Wow. That’s a lot of proofing going on. Just make sure your parents don’t mind cos it does cost a lot of money.”

“Oh, they’re fine with it. It’s not too much for them anyway.”

“Hmm, well as long as they are happy with it. Actually I just realised, you know my name and my Kingdom but I don’t know anything about who you are. Don’t you feel that’s a bit unfair.”

“Um, I’d rather not you know. Who knows you could curse me once you know my real name. Just saying you people have your odd beliefs and practices. Don’t want to run afoul of them, you know what I’m saying.” He said and laughed nervously. Perhaps Lee was trying to joke but Choice did not find anything he’d just said funny.

“Odd beliefs, is it that we believe that the sun and moon and stars all have spirits and can influence our lives?”

“Yeah that. I mean no offence but you know that they’re just things in the sky right. I mean power to you if you want to believe but you do know that it is the one that is charge of like everything right. But you believe what you want to believe.”

“So you’re from Borei.”

“What how did you know that?”

“Only Boreins on this side of the continent really believe that the One is still listening. Everyone knows he’s finished with this planet and has gone to continue the great work elsewhere. SInce he’s not here anymore why should I ask for his help. I’ll stick with my spirits and you’ll stick with the One. How does that sound.”

“Sounds perfect. Very perfect. Hope that wasn’t awkward or like weird.”

“No it’s fine. It’s really okay.” Borei was one of the few nation in the southwest continent of Xin that did not have any Kings or Queens reigning over them. They claimed they had freedom from petty things like blood over brains. That was a lie. The same ten families had been in charge of Borei from the very beginning. Still maybe Borein beliefs helped them, they were one of the richest nations.

Now that Choice knew that Lee was from Borei, she wanted to finish her conversation with him and leave quickly. She did not want to have a friendship with someone who’s way of life would render her dream invalid. She was just going to ask a few more questions and never see him again.

“Are you sure things aren’t weird. You aren’t mad I didn’t mean to insult your beliefs”

“I’m fine, Lee. You didn’t do that but if you still feel guilty, mind helping me with one more thing?”

“Sure whatever you want.”

“When I left Legume, my mother gave me a letter to hand to my brother. But after going through the void, I’m really worrying that maybe is wrong with it. I mean we don’t really have mages where I’m from so the rune could have been made incorrectly. I just don’t want my brother to open this letter and get doomed. Do you mind checking if the protections are still on the letter and if it could harm the recipient.”

“I can’t really do that. I’m not at that level yet.”

“Oh shame. I really don’t want him to die and not from something I gave him. Are you sure there really is nothing you can do.” Choice put on a really sad face, reminiscent of the one Seph used often to convince people to his way of thinking. Lee looked at her face and visibly hesitated, then scratched his head.

This continued for a while and Choice was about to give up on on trying to convince him with the sad face. Her face wasn’t used to the expression she was putting on so it was beginning to look a bit artificial. She was about to just give in and hand in her mother’s letter when he nodded.

“Okay, I really shouldn’t but I’ll let you into the second floor. I can’t identify protective runes on objects but it should be able to do it.”

“Really, thank you so much. Are you sure though? Won’t you get in trouble? I know I don’t want my first friend here to get in trouble because of me.”

“It’s okay,” he assured her, “I’m going to be very careful. But we can’t do it today. Librarian Perry is the head librarian and she’s on the second floor today. Tomorrow she’s on the fifth so it’ll be safe. Come here tomorrow at noon and I’ll be able to help you out.” LIbrarian Perry, that’s who my mother wanted this sent to. I didn’t understand why a librarian would be that important but after seeing this library…

“Thank you very much Lee. Thanks for all your help.”

“Lee Quan. My name is Lee Quan.” The Quan was one of the premier families in Borei. They made in a month what Legume made the whole of last year.  His ability to spend so much money continuous proofing made sense.

“Thanks you Lee Quan, nice to meet you.”

“Same here. I’ll see you tomorrow.” She waved goodbye at him and when he left, she turned to look at the shelves of books waiting for her. She still had six hours.

I’ll deal with my mother tomorrow but for today, I’m going to enjoy the heck out of the best library I’ve ever seen.

1