Chapter 14 Betrayal and Eve’s Determination
220 6 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the outskirts of Arsibal Canyon, where the camp was situated, Evangeline Maelstrom, A 1st class knight of the Empire and the current overseer of the Heroes, was in a task of monitoring the heroes via a visual magic installed to monitor the training grounds. This magic system was only accessible in the vicinity of the area. It was created at the same time as the canyon's magic array.

"It's the day the hero will return, we need to pack things up so we can return before dusk"

The allotted expedition time was almost up and the heroes would be coming back for more training in the castle. 

For Eve,  The heroes might have enormous potentials but it doesn't mean that they are strong enough to take on a demon yet. They still needed to grew more in power and experience before they can face a demon. 

While observing the heroes this past few days   Eve saw the rapid growth of each of the heroes. The most talented was, as expected, Reina and Harvi while the others still needed to increase their control over their magic.

Eve also caught a glimpse of the growing potential of Andre.  His decision making,  Coordination and intelligence became very crucial to his teams performance but his power was truly lacking. 

"Maybe in a few years time, he can become a commander in the army" Eve presumed.

Overcame by fatigue, Eve sat on a chair made of light brown wood. The backrest is formed by two vertical pieces of wood with a soft cushion upholstered on it. The same cusion was upholstered in the seat which made it very comfy to sit on.

BOOOOOOOOOOM! 

Eve was indulging herself to the comfort of the chair, When a ear-splitting explosion boomed in her ears,  chasing away the diziness she was feeling.  She immediately rushed outside of her tent only seeing an army of confused soldiers.

"What happened?" Eve asked one of the soldiers near her tent. 

"Lady Evangeline, We are under attack by demons! They suddenly rained from sky attacking our soldiers!" the soldier immidiately bowed while giving the most accurate report he could give.

'How can a demon be right here? Is it just a coincidence?' 

"Quickly guide me to where the demons are!" She ordered, putting her scabbard on her waist. 

Many of the Empire's soldiers were lying on the ground injured some are already lifeless.

"Quickly,  Inform the mages to return! Immediate evacuation of the heroes are the utmost priority! I shall deal with the demons here" Eve ordered.

She drew her beloved silver sword as she charged to one of the demon. With a silver streak of light,  one of the demon burned in ashes.

"tch! This lesser demons!" She cut another demon that came charging at her. 

"They keep coming!!" She felt annoyed as she continued to swing her sword. Every swing would take another life but the demons kept charging at her like they are throwing themselves to her. 

"How can there be too many demons!? Are they invading the empire already?" Just the thought, made her dripped in cold sweat. 

"No that's not possible!  if they want to invade the empire,  they need a large army.  A large army will not go unnotice by the empire so this might be just a small group! A diversion?  No. If that's not it,  what are their purpose!??"  Eve kept on deducing the demon's reason of attacking when she heard a loud cry. 

"SOMEONE HAS OPENED THE CANYON'S GATE!" 

"damn it! so that was there true motive!"

'The Heroes was their true motive! They wanted to erradicate the Empire's Hope! They are in danger! '

She quickly run back to the gate. 

'Am I missing something?  The gate should not be opened with out the opening code!  Why did it opened now! Only me and Captain Edgeburg can access the code!' 

Realizing the scheme, With bloodshooted eyes Eve roared on anger. 

" CAPTAIN EDGEBURG HAS BETRAYED THE EMPIRE!! HE SOLD US TO THE DEMONS!!!  APPREHEND HIM ON SIGHT!! IF HE RETALLIATE KILL HIM IMMEDIATELY!! FIRST PRIORITY  ARE THE HEROES! EVACUATE THEM!!  THEY ARE THE KINGDOMS ONLY HOPE!! " The captain was not only betrayed her,  he betrayed the whole Empire,  his breathen, his countrymen, everyone who wants to live in peace! Eve was full of hate as she ravage all the demons in the vicinity.

"KAKAKAKAKA THAT'S RIGHT BE CONQUERED BY HATRED. FINALLY THE GATE IS OPEN, I SHALL TAKE THE STAGE NOW!" Somebody cackled in low, sinister, dreadful glee. It was hovering in the air flapping it's wide demonic wings. His aura was more diabolic than the lesser demon indicating that he was way more dangerous.

"H-High Demon!! " Eve was paralyzed to the spot, the menacing aura holding her in a tightening grip.

"OHHHH!  SO SOMEONE KNOWS MY VARIANT!  A VERY INTELLIGENT HUMAN!" The demon stared at her with it's deep black eyes. A cold wave embalmed her as the hairs rose on the back of her neck and her mouth ran dry.

"Y-you shall not pass here!" Eve tried to voice out even with a trembling voice. Her hands was trembing as she pointed her sword at the demon.

"SUCH A COURAGEOUS HUMAN,  I'M STARTING TO LIKE YOU!  BUT DONT WORRY YOU'RE NOT WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR KAKAAKA!" 

"Lord Al'zaeb, I already finished the task you gave me!" A middle age man bowed  in front of the demon.  

"H-How dare you! "  Eve leered at the man with hateful eyes.  it was Captain Frederick Edgeburg, the man who betrayed them!

"ISN'T IT MY PAWN? THANKS FOR THE HARD WORK"  

"Yes Lord!  Please give back my wife and child according to what we agreed!"

"AH YOU MEAN THOSE TWO HUMANS? THEY WERE REALLY NOISY, THEY BECAME A NUISANCE SO I KILLED THEM AND PRESENT THERE HEADS TO MY LORD KAKAKAKAKA!" The demon maniacally laugh stating what he did. Hopelessness, rage, sorrow enveloped Captain Edgeburg, his face became distorted not knowing whether to laugh or cry. 

He even sold his empire to the demon to save his family but it was all for naught. 

"Y-You lied to me! you lied to me! YOU LIED TO MEE!!!" Captain Edgeburg whispered as it turn louder and louder until it reach the limit of his vocal cords. 

"KAKAKAKAKA TRUSTING A DEMON WAS SO FOOLISH OF YOU!  WE DEMONS ALWAYS LIE! WE SCHEME, WE ARE BETRAYAL ITSELF.  I SHALL GIVE YOU THESE AS A REMEMBRANCE" once again the demon laughed,  throwing a pair of bracelet in front of Captain Edgeburg.

"L-Lorna, J-Jacob AHHHHHHHHHH!" Tears of agony fell into his eyes with no stopping.  Seeing the bracelet that he gave to his wife and son, he broke down. 

He wanted to die, he wanted to be with them.....

"I WILL KILL YOOOOOUUUI!! 

 

But seeing the demon danced in joy in his agony, He clenched his teeth until it bled, He draw his sword with hatred and charged savagely at the demon. 

"A LOW-LEVEL HUMAN LIKE YOU IS NOT WORTH MY TIME!" THe demon waved its arms creating a powerful shockwave. Captain Edgeburg, who was hit directly,  was thrown away to the rubbles.

"Gaahaak!  L-Lorna...J-Jacob" he mumbled as he lost consciousness.

"WELL I NEED TO GO NOW!  GOODBYE HUMAN!" the demon bowed its head before it flew towards the gate.

Eve, who also thrown away by the shockwave, stood up ragged and bruised. She pointed her sword to the lesser demons. The lesser demons  immidiately surrounded her craving for human flesh,.

"I MAY BE BEATEN BAD AND BLUE BUT FOR THE EMPIRE,  TO MY HOMETOWN,  TO MY FAMILY, TO THE PEOPLE I SERVE, I WONT LET YOU MAKE YOUR WAY TO THIS PLACE.  I, EVANGELINE MAELSTROM, WILL PROTECT THE EMPIRE'S ONLY HOPE EVEN AT THE COST OF MY LIFE!! " She declared, Translucent light covered her body. Energy gathered in an astonishing pace, making the surrounding wrapped in a briliant golden and grandiloquent Flash of light. 

It was Eve's Strongest skill. 

"PURGING NOVA!! "

Sensing the eminent danger, the demons tried run with their tails behind there backs but it was too late, They burned as soon as the light touches them leaving nothing even their ashes. 

------------------->>>>>>>

Meanwhile...

The demon named Al'zaeb had already entered the canyon. He first scanned the area to find an appropriate prey.

"THE HIGHEST LEVEL IS 11, TWO OF THEM. WHAT A VERY LOW LEVEL TO BE A HERO"

He used the Racial Skill of demons,  The Records of Power.  It allowed high demons and higher class demons to see the Power level of its opponent if its beneath his power level. 

"KAKAKAKA WELL, LETS GO TO THAT ONE FIRST" he transformed to a black line as he vanished in a lightning speed.

5