Chapter Five: The First Trial
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"T-The.. corpse of someone I hold dear?" Cereo stuttered.

"That's right.. mhm." The staff wielder crushed a fingernail with her teeth. "Many of the beings that lurk throughout the mountains rely on mental torture to eliminate their victims. In order to confirm your mind is ready for it, we'll need to see that your emotions can handle, and that you're willing to sacrifice.. anything."

"That means Zen-.."

Blank struggled to stand, and when he finally did, he spoke angrily. "You expect us to kill just to bypass this ridiculous gate of yours? As stupid as that garbage already is, we have a dilemma." his eyes narrowed into a sinister look. "There's not a single person on this planet that I love."

With a nod, Cereo agreed. "As much as I hate to say it, neither do I. I've only been apart of this land for a brief period of time, developing such a close bond with someone just.. has not occurred."

The woman at the gate grinned. Displaying an off putting look to say the least. "Wrong.... I can sense that there is someone currently in this world for both of you... a person that you each care for deeply.."

Confused, Cereo raised an eyebrow. Blank on the other hand returned to the carriage. "Tch.." he gritted his teeth and nearly crushed the side of the seat where he placed his hands.

"Blank.. if there truly is someone you hold dear, accompanying me is unnecessary." Cereo told him from the carriage doorway.

"Still such a pathetic moron.. how do you expect to even enter at all without having anyone yourself? As a matter of fact, I'm intrigued to know what would compel you to do such a disgraceful thing just to pass a gate."

"Well... the only reason I'm currently standing here is because I was summoned to protect this land. Failing to do so is simply inexcusable."

"Hm.. yeah, whatever you say." Blank prepared to depart. "And the only reason I'm not dead is because Queen Myosis and Sendal saved me. That's a story for another day, but for now they gave me a job. I'm supposed to accompany you, and I will do so by any means necessary. So I'll be going."

"Very well. In that case, let us not waste time any longer. There's a certain someone that I believe may be the one the women says I care for."

Cereo directed Blank to a poor looking town. It was small, and was the type of place where each of the residents knew each other.

"You're telling me you know someone here?" Blank questioned, looking around.

"Not necessarily." Cereo responded. "When I was previously summoned, centuries ago, there was indeed someone.. a woman, who I cared deeply for. Of course she is deceased now, however coming to where she once lived gives me the chance to potentially meet a descendant of hers."

"Tch, you assumed it would still be in tact?"

"The appearance of this place is vastly different, that much is certain, but considering how many years have passed, the fact that any familiarity remains is rather impressive."

They stopped the carriage mid town. "We will begin by asking around, her surname was Setina. I'm sure that if anyone remained here, one of the townsfolk will recognize it."

Cereo exited the vehicle halfway, but was stopped by Blank, who grabbed his arm. "Keep in mind, if someone is found here, they most likely have no connection to the woman you once knew other than sharing a family history. It's been far too long."

"Hm." A small chuckle slipped through the lips of Cereo. "Sorry but, the goal here is to feel emotional pain. Your statement has the opposite effect. Plus... though I may seem unaffected, what truly hurts is that I, a hero, must kill someone innocent." he pulled his hand away. "Now let us begin. We'll split up in order to double the speed in which we can potentially locate them."

It only took a moment for someone to recognize the name. Cereo was the one who asked, and was told that a young female named Firose Setina lived nearby.

Rather hesitantly, Cereo thanked the man and traveled to the home he had mentioned. Blank was already there when he arrived, waiting outside the front door with his arms crossed. "Get it over with as quickly as possible. I know you're shooting for emotional pain but, all she said was that it needed to be someone you care for. Making things work by starting on conversation is a waste of time."

"I suppose you're correct." After staring at the door for a moment, Cereo didn't waste anymore time before entering.

"He's lying." Blank mumbled to himself. "The connection between Cereo and Sabarum must be far greater than I'm aware of, otherwise killing someone like this wouldn't be so easy. That is unless... he's far more sinister than I've come to believe."

Following his entry into the home, Cereo immediately noticed Firose standing near a table. She looked confused as to why a stranger was in her home. Not wanting to prolong this, Cereo quickly attempted to complete what he was here for.

A second before a strike from Cereo would have connected with, and killed Firose, the staff wielding woman appeared, and blocked it.

"What the-.. why have you appeared? I'm attempting to do as you asked, must you interfere?" Cereo yelled.

"Mm....." she licked her lips. "The true test was to see if you could kill someone you believed you loved. Whether or not you truly did was..... irrelevant."

"Are you-.. tch.. I suppose that certainly would damage someone mentally, nearly worse than if they actually committed the act." Cereo altered his gaze toward a terrified Firose. "Am I able to bring a friend? Or must he endure the same pain that I just have."

"Since he's with you...... I'll let his trial slide. Just be sure not to complain when he enters unprepared... mm..."

The woman faded away, leading Cereo to depart from the home shaken up.

"I've told you a hundred times before, but apparently you still haven't gotten the memo." Claimed Blank, who angrily waited just outside. "Your actions don't impress me, all you've done is hold me back. Not going through even this grueling trial will in the end leave me in a bad position."

"Are you.. attempting to say that you would have rather killed s-.."

"Fucking shut it, Cereo. Nevermind, I should know by now that speaking with you is almost always a waste. Let's just depart."

Cereo and Blank got back into the carriage, ready to go all the way back to where the original gate was, but beforehand, Firose stepped in with them. "Um.. whatever you guys are doing.. must be pretty important for you to wanna kill me, huh?" she said, playing with her sleeves.

Cereo looked at Blank, then at Firose. "The woman you saw in there would not allow us to pass into a necessary location unless we nearly offed someone we cared for. You are a descendant of one who I had feelings for at a certain time, so I deemed you the best possible candidate. My apologies for-.."

"It's fine, really!" Firose blurted. "I just.. kinda want to see what this thing is if it's so great. Life seriously gets boring in a small town like this and, if you feel so bad about nearly ending my life then bringing me with would actually be a great way to make up for it!"

"No, now get out." Without even looking at her, Blank kept a calm face. "I do understand why you'd grow tired of such a bland place, but it doesn't give you the opportunity to interfere with the mission of a man who was going to kill you a mere moment ago."

"Bringing her with in order to potentially develop a relationship would be.. a good way to make up for my intentions." Cereo calmly suggested, looking thoughtful.

"Bringing her with would also bring with us an unnecessary burden that we'll need to watch out for. Not to mention that you are unaware if she will even be allowed entry without passing the test."

Out of nowhere, Cereo shot up from his seat. "Hah.. everything you just mentioned is irrelevant. After giving it a bit of thought, I have decided that this indeed is the perfect way to make up for my wrongdoings. Come now, Firose. Your life of boredom is no more, from now on it will be filled with adventure and entertainment. It's the least I can do, right?"

Firose's eyes lit up, and Blank covered his ears. "Tchh.. yet again it's pointless to argue. Just don't come to me for assistance when she's unable to pass through the gate."

"Hahah.." a laugh came from Cereo. "I've had enough of this tone of despair, if a problem arises we will find a way to solve it in our own way. The truth is.. I have a special connection to this land, one that I am yet to have mentioned to you. It's why I was prepared to kill without much hesitation. Passing through that gate was necessary to keep Sabarum safe. But.. I need to prevent others from steering me toward the dark side. Blank, Firose, a day like today will never arrive again. That is a promise."

"I don't care about any dumb promise of yours, I care about ridding this land of the parasites. Let's go already. Girl, you can sit over there." Blank pointed at the floor.

Smiling, Firose pranced into the carriage. "Okay, it doesn't really matter where I sit as long as I'm comin!"

And from then on, the group of now three traveled back to the once blocked gate. When they arrived, the woman was nowhere to be seen.. and the gate was open.

0