Chapter 01
136 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ouyang Fei Fei had known that bad luck always trailed behind her like a shadow. That was why when she transmigrated to the ancient dynasty four years ago, she didn’t feel shocked, nor did she think she was inside a television prank. In contrary, she felt amazed and stunned. Turns out those historical romance books didn’t make these up at all, eh?

And like a pro, the girl quickly adapted and dug about her current identity.

The last generation of the Ouyang Clan traveled back in time to the Northern Qi Dynasty at one sunny spring day. Her pitiful soul occupied the body of Zhao Xing, the second miss of the prime minister’s manor.

Zhao Xing was Prime Minister Zhao’s only legitimate daughter. Her mother was Imperial Princess Chao Yang, the twin sister of the Great Chen’s Emperor. Although her mother was the main wife, she wasn’t Prime Minister Zhao’s true love. Their marriage life was loveless since it was only for political affairs between the two nations. This condition lead to Prime Minister Zhao’s cold attitude to Zhao Xing.

Prime Minister Zhao’s beloved woman was Concubine Yun Rong. The love between the young prime minister and Lady Yun Rong bloomed at the palace banquet, only a few months after the high-ranked official married Princess Chao Yang. The pair of lovebirds were then blessed with a daughter named Zhao Qing. But they weren’t only blessed with that, the girl was ended up being talented and grew up to be quite pleasing to the eye. She was known as the first beauty of the capital.

Unfortunately, Zhao Qing’s beauty was only a facade as her insides were rotten. She and her concubine mother both knew they still had a threat—Zhao Xing.

When the world knew Zhao Qing as the number one beauty of the capital, the people inside the prime minister’s manor were blessed to see Zhao Xing’s ethereal appearance. The servants always described her peerless beauty as something otherworldly. Even when she had no make up, the flowers in the garden still paled in comparison.

Unlike the first miss that seemed hard to approach, Zhao Xing was warm and kind-hearted towards the servants. She often used her own pocket money to give them rewards for their hard-work. In the eyes of the servants, she was a fairy that descended from the heavenly realm to greet them, the mortals. She was almost perfect. The only shortcoming she had was her overly timid and fragile body. Zhao Xing never took step outside her courtyard. Even if she did, it was only to visit her mother every morning. Other than the morning routine, she would never greet the outside world. To Zhao Xing, her tiny world was rotating around her bookshelves.

Zhao Xing not only inherited her mother’s beauty but also her physical weakness. From her childhood till now, her body had always been fragile. With a glass-like physique and a timid personality, the evil duo found no difficulties in getting rid of her.

In Concubine Yun and Zhao Qing’s eyes, Zhao Xing would always be a threat. Once the outside world knew the girl had unparalleled beauty, Zhao Qing’s reputation would undoubtedly sink into the abyss. To protect her beloved daughter from the downfall, Concubine Yun schemed against the princess.

Lady Yun Rong’s goal was undoubtedly to end Zhao Xing’s life. However, she couldn’t do it rashly. After all, the girl had a strong backing from the Great Chen’s royal family. Hence, she had to do it slowly and carefully.

Ouyang Fei Fei managed to enter Zhao Xing’s body when the girl lost her life. At that time, Ouyang Fei Fei felt the poison inside the girl’s body had been there for a long time. She had a delicate and sickly body to begin with, and now that she was poisoned, her body naturally couldn’t endure it.

That was how the soul of Ouyang Fei Fei entered her body.

Two weeks before Zhao Xing lost her life, Prime Minister Zhao sent the young lady to his second manor which was located far out of the city. This idea naturally came from Concubine Yun. Lady Yun Rong insisted the princess needed to recuperate in a favorable place.

The Zhao Clan happened to also possess a property under the Fenglong Mount. But who would have known this manor would become Zhao Xing’s graveyard?

Upon remembering the scene from four years ago, Ouyang Fei Fei’s blood pressure slightly rose. She thought this kind of scene only happens in a dog blood drama ah! If not for her medical knowledge, this body of hers would never have been able to survive up until now!

Surprisingly during her stay, Zhao Xing explored outside of the estate and somehow stumbled upon a spring that was highly unusual. It provided fast healing abilities and rejuvenated her weak body. Perhaps the gods of heaven saw how much the original Zhao Xing was suffering and gave it to Ouyang Fei Fei! After learning it’s frightening abilities, the girl happily walked back into the estate and made sure never to speak of it to anyone.

Thus, this place was considered great for Zhao Xing.

That bizzare experience of transmigrating was still crystal clear in her mind.

At that time, the first scene that appeared before Ouyang Fei Fei’s eyes was a girl who sobbed hard beside her bed. The girl wore a light blue hanfu[1] with her hair tied into two big buns. Tears trailed down from her swollen eyes as she covered her mouth to hold back sobs. The young girl was Xiao Yi, Zhao Xing’s most trusted maid. She thought that her young miss had already passed away, facing King Yama in the netherworld.

When Ouyang Fei Fei regained her consciousness, she immediately processed everything inside her brain. In that kind of situation, the easiest way to survive was to follow amnesia path.

So... she... hehe.

At the moment, the current Zhao Xing was sitting in front of the vanity table. She just finished her evening bath and sighed in content as Xiao Yi dried her long, silky hair. She has seen this face for almost four years, yet she was still mesmerized by its beauty.

Zhao Xing truly blessed with an exquisite facial features. The girl possessed a pale, jade-like skin and a slender figure, seemingly too delicate and lithe to handle. Her eyes, which resembled a crescent moon, brightened up with a light brown color as dark grey eyebrows perfectly framed her face. Her lips were sweet, thin and cherry-colored as she smiled, thus making her expression more lovely with faint dimples that appeared under the tip of her eyes. This young lady also had long and curly eyelashes, and a high bridged nose. And with her fragile state of a body, it made everyone wanted to protect her and shield her from the outside world.

If Ouyang Fei Fei had this kind of appearance in the modern world, she would have undoubtedly become a top model! And that first-love of hers would regret to death for rejecting her confession!

“It’s done, Young Miss.” Xiao Yi placed the towel away and glanced at her masterpiece, her eyes gleaming with a bit of pride. Several moment later, the smile on Xiao Yi’s face faded away. Sighing, the young girl said dejectedly, “If only the people at capital city knew about Young Miss, they wouldn’t have even dared to give the title of the capital’s first beauty to that witch! Hmph!”

Zhao Xing laughed in amusement, “Isn’t that just a title? Even if they gave her the Miss Universe title, it would also be useless! Unless they plan on giving you a thousand gold ingots with that title, then I’d go out myself and show off ah!”

“Huh? M-miss... what?” Xiao Yi tilted her head, her little face filled with confusion. Miss Universe? Was that another name for a noble woman?

Since her miss was saved from the gates of hell, not only did her personality changed drastically, but the way she spoke to others became different. She often spoke in a weird languange.

However, even though her master changed a lot, Xiao Yi was extremely grateful. Her second miss was more lively and cheerful. Back then, Zhao Xing was rarely smiled because of the pressure she had upon her shoulders. But now, she would laugh every time there were jokes with the servants and grow playful. She became so expressive. She was also still the kind-hearted miss she knew. After waking up from the comatose, her master was even more gentle toward the servants. She treated them like a friends, not even caring whether or not their statuses were in the way.

Realized she had a slip of her tongue again, Zhao Xing quickly diverted her maid’s attention. “Ahaha! That’s nothing.” Smiling, the girl continued on, “Also, Xiao Yi, you can’t say that freely outside the manor. You can curse Elder Sister, but do it secretly. Do you understand?”

“....” Why did my young miss suddenly blackened? This suddenly became frightening!

“Oh, by the way, I haven’t seen Ruyi since this morning. Where did he go?” Zhao Xing asked as she walked toward the outer room of her chamber to the tea table.

Pouring tea for her master, Xiao Yi tried to answer, “Please forgive this servant, but this servant also doesnt’t know where he went. Lately, Guard Wu often leaves the residence.”

Zhao Xing scrunched her eyebrows while processing Xiao Yi’s words and realized the girl was right. She rarely saw Ruyi in the manor anymore. Usually, the boy would always follow her like as if he were her own shadow, but for several days he hardly ever appeared before her. Even if Zhao Xing did see him, he’d vanish like a ghost the next second. Where did this boy go?

Truth be told, Wu Ruyi wasn’t someone from the prime minister’s manor. Zhao Xing met him three years ago, a year after Prime Minister Zhao ditched her to this place. That day, Zhao Xing actually wanged to visit the market at the village near the villa to buy some medicinal herbs. At the entrance of the village, a group of bandits dragged Ruyi and sold him. Curiously, she couldn’t help but forget about the herbs and tried to get a good look at what was happening. At that time, Ruyi’s state was extremely pitiful. The bandits didn’t really care how they dragged him across the streets and would even tug on the ropes that bounded his wrists together, urging him to go faster.

Zhao Xing pushes past several people to follow where the bandits were going. She peered even further at the boy and noticed scars running down his arms, the bruises which covered the majority of his face, and not to mention the threadbare clothes he wore which were almost filled with holes. He didn’t even wear shoes.

She swallowed harshly at the scene and glanced away for a second. Just when the transmigrator finally looked back, their eyes unexpectedly met and she was taken aback to see how hollow and glassy his gaze was. And to be honest, the girl trembled when she realized how murderous his aura was. She would’ve droppped to her knees if the bandits hadn’t pulled on his injured wrists even more. Zhao Xing watched as the boy continued to get beaten as they trudged last the crowds of people, not even bothering to fight back anymore.

As someone from the modern era, Zhao Xing naturally didn’t have the heart to see such a scene. She ended up saving him, giving the bandits a hundred liangs before bringing the boy with her to the villa.

At the beginning, Ruyi was so cold toward Zhao Xing. He refused to speak, refused to eat, and refused everything she offered to him. But with the girl’s care and patience, the boy gradually warmed up. He even became dependent to Zhao Xing and followed her everywhere she went.

But what was this situation? Where did that cute little boy from the past go? Ah, it was truly a pity to see him grow up independently now.

“Nevermind, he might have something to take care of. I will ask him later.” Zhao Xing smiled and sipped her tea as she felt a cold breeze.

It was at the beginning of the twelfth month, and winter slowly reached for its climax. Zhao Xing sighed at the sight of dark cloudy skies that seemed to stretch over the lands infinitely. She was about to start another conversation with Xiao Yi when she noticed goosebumps trailing down her arms. The girl snuggled deeper into her cloak and would’ve dozed off until her maid nudged her, glancing at the window.

Xiao Yi looked up to the sky and tilted her head with a small smile. “Young Miss?”

“I see... I wondered when it’d snow,” Zhao Xing replied. The two watched silently as small snowflakes drifted down, landing on several dead branches of a tree nearby her window.

The second young miss of the prime minister’s manor quickly rose from her seat and strode toward the window. A gentle smile bloomed on her face as she looked up at the night sky. The fallen snow reflected in her crystal-clear eyes, made her seemingly more enchanting.

“Xiao Yi ah, let’s go outside and see the snow!” Zhao Xing exclaimed gleefully and dashed to her inner chambers to grab her hand warmer.

Since her body was getting better and a bit sturdier, Zhao Xing was becoming more active. Four years ago, there wasn’t a need to talk about seeing snow, or taking a walk around the garden, she would always feel like her lungs were pricked with countless needles. Thanks to her medical knowledge, she slowly nurtured her body. Although she hasn’t fully recovered, at least she was better than she first came into this world.

The ground had been filled with a thin layer of snow the moment Zhao Xing stepped out from her courtyard. Standing at the edge of the terrace, she lifted her pale hands and caught several snowflakes in her palm. Since she was excited, the smile that bloomed on her face never withered even if the cold breeze made her skin slightly rosy, which added to her delicate state even more.

Just when Zhao Xing enjoyed her tine of peace, a loud thud of a falling object could be heard in the direction of the garden from her courtyard. It made Zhao Xing and Xiao Yi suddenly stand stiff.

Since she was in ancient times, Zhao Xing began to think of many possibilities. She wouldn’t be so far off if there were assassins in the manor. Calming her racing heart, the girl quickly whispered to her maid, “Xiao Yi, go to Ruyi’s pavilion and look for him. If he’s still not back then come back here as fast as you can.”

Xiao Yi felt incredibly anxious. “But—”

“Quickly!” Zhao Xing interrupted her, “The faster you go, the faster you can save me from dying young!”

With that command, Xiao Yi didn’t dare to delay any longer. Hurriedly, she dashed over to Ruyi’s courtyard.

Zhao Xing, on the other hand, grabbed a nearby wooden laying by the furnace and braced herself to approach the garden.

The girl walked slowly, making sure her steps woudn’t be heard by assassins, or anyone even remotely close to a thief or maybe a flower thief[2]. Even though her whole body trembled in trepidation whist her heart jumped rapidly inside her ribs, the girl tried with all her might to remain calm. She forced herself to stay level-headed.

In the garden, a man clad in dark clothing was currently clutching his stomach. His position was right under the wall, so Zhao Xing confirmed the male came outside and fell to Zhao Xing courtyard. Watching closely upon his appearance, she saw distinctly noticed how lean his body was, but he had a broad chest and could possibly tower over her. Zhao Xing could imagine that under the hanfu, he was probably well built.

Her eyes trailed up and she finally saw him wearing a mask which covered the lower half of his face, but her expression hardened upon the appearance of his sword, which he tightly held. From Zhao Xing’s point of view, he didn’t look like a good man, not even a bit. Hence, using the chance when he was looked to be in most pain, Zhao Xing struck him down with her wooden stick.

When the man dropped to the ground, Zhao Xing let out a smirk filled with victory. Immitaing the mobile games she used to play, the girl stated, “Hmph! The enemy has been slayed! Game over!”

Ah... how nice would it be if she could play those games now?

 

Author’s Note:

[1] Ancient Chinese clothing or Hanfu refers to the historical clothing styles of China.

[2] Flower thief is the common term for molesters in ancient China.

1