Chapter 09
68 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Xing’er? It’s rare to see you come out from the manor!”

Actually, Zhao Xing wanted to dig a hole and hide from this snake. Butsince she couldn’t do that, she could only brace herself and cross fingers. Letting out an awkward smile, the girl slightly bent her knees as shegreeted her half-sister, “It’s a surprise to meet Elder Sister at this place! Greetings to Elder Sister!”

Standing several steps before Zhao Xing, the first miss ofthe prime minister’s manor was wearing a soft pink dress embroidered with blooming peach blossom. Her hair was adorned with several golden buyao[1] and pearls, making her appear a bit more grand than the other ladies around. It was just... her make up was a bit too thick which made Zhao Qinglook a little bit older than her actual age.

“What is Xing’er doing here?” Zhao Qing tried to suppress her anger and jealousy as she placed a forced smile,walking closer to Zhao Xing.

It was the first time for Zhao Xing to go out from the manor without disguising herself as a man. Many people in the street had locked their eyes on her otherworldly visage, gaping in awe and some of them were stunned silly.People present at the antique shop were also mesmerized by her beauty. The noblewomen had started to gossip and even matchmake her with theirsons. They never knew there was someone so enchanting in the capital city. If they knew this from the start, they would’vegiven the title of the capital’s number one beauty to this young lady!

Zhao Xing, this dense girl, naturally wasn’t aware of this. She was still focused on the snake before her since she didn’t dare to be caught off guard lest she’dget tricked by her half-sister!

“Actually, I’m just strolling around the capital and passing by. Xiao Yi said that Xing Yun Antique Shop is the best antique shop in the capital, so I wanted take a look and see if I can buy something as a gift.”

“Ah, I see.” Zhao Qing nodded elegantly. “Then this Elder Sister of yours should naturally help Xing’er to pick something beautifu—”

“Hahaha, no need, no need. I don’t want to trouble Elder Sister. Elder Sister should continuewith her business! I can ask the shopkeeper to guide me.” The second miss shook her head dramatically as she quickly declined the offer. She didn’t want to walk inside any traps planned by this girl ah!

Since there was a lot of attention was on them, as a white-lotus bitch, Zhao Qing naturally didn’t want to appear as though she was forcing her half-sister. She dejectedly hung her head low and wiped the non-exist tears in her eyes.

“Elder Sister knows we’re not that close since Elder Sister is only a concubine-born daughter.Because of this, Xing’er keeps distancing herself from Elder Sister!” The first miss spoke with a tone full of grievance.

Zhao Xing was stunned at this snake’s  sudden statement. This... did she want to ovethrow her image in the first day she appeared in public as a young lady? Woah!

Sneering inwardly, the transmigrator placedon a panicked expression as she answered, “Elder Sister shouldn’t misunderstand my intention. I really don’t want to trouble Elder Sister.” Zhao Xing quickly added, “Moreover, I’m not distancing myself from Elder Sister. If only Concubine Yun didn’t urge Father to send me to Fenglong Mountain, maybe we couldvehad a stronger relationship as of now! It’s just... I’ve beenso far away from home for too long, Elder Sister please understand. This lowly sister of yours is still lacking on how to communicate better with other people, and don’t even mention our servants! Elder Sister, forgive me for not reaching out to you sooner, it was only because this sister of yours was scared to distance our relationship even further! Perhaps Concubine Yun should’ve kept me hidden away in the mountains... for Elder Sister to be so hurt by my intentions really makes me want to go back! This younger sister of yours apologizes deeply.”

The first young miss immediately paled upon hearing Zhao Xing’s counterattack. At this time, people in Xing Yun Antique Shop already begun to look at Zhao Qing with hatred. They started to gossip about her and her concubine mother.

Truth to be told, the majority of noblewomen in the capital city secretly loathed Madam Yun Rong. If not for her strong backing, they would definitely show their disgust openly. As the main wife of court officials or noblemen, the ladies naturally didn’t like the existances of other concubines. Moreover, a haughty concubine that takes the main wife’s position.

Since Princess Chao Yang had a sickly body, she rarely joined any banquets or meetings. The prime minister usually asks his beloved concubine to stand in the princess’ place, replacing the princessinstead.

“I don’t dare to make Elder Sister delay her businessany further. I will see Elder Sister at the manor!” Zhao Xing smiled and slightly bent her knees before walking pass her half-sister.

However, just when the girl’s shoulders brushed passed Zhao Qing’s, the snake demoness suddenly fell to the ground in a dramatic manner. It so happened that, at that moment, a female shopkeeper was walking beside her while bringing a tray full of antique jade. When Zhao Qing fell, she accidentallynudged the shopkeeper, causing the shopkeeper to fall along with her. The tray in the shopkeeper’s hands were thrown in the air before the antique jade dropped to the ground,breaking into pieces.

Zhao Xing was momentarily stunned, her brain busy processing what just happened as she stood silly above the fallen Zhao Qing.

“Miss!” The servants from Yan Qing Pavilion panicked, responsively helping their young miss to stand up.

Zhao Xing was still in a daze. Blinking her clear, peach blossom eyes, the young lady turned her head and asked Xiao Yi who stood behind her, “What just happened?”

“T-the firstyoung miss slipped and fell to the floor?” The young maid also didn’t know what exactly happened.Her head was ducked for most of the time. From the corner of her eyes, she only saw Zhao Qing trip on the wooden floor. Even though Xiao Yi didn’t see it clearly, she was sure that her young miss didn’thave anything to do with the accident since her young miss was walking straight on her track.

Almosr immediately, Zhao Qing began to sob. She used her pink handkerchief to wipe her pointed nose and spoke dejectedly, “Xing’er, Elder Sister doesn’t knowwhat I did wrong! If Elder Sister ever offended you, please forgive Elder Sister. Why should you do this to Elder Sister?”

“W-what did I do?” Zhao Xing was baffled.

“Aiyo, my precious jades!” An old shopkeeper wailed quite hysterically as he bent down toinspect the broken antiques. His poor employee, who had been nudged by Zhao Qing, helped him collect the broken jades.

“Xing’er, it’s okay if you only harm Elder Sister. But look at this mess, don’t you feel bad to Shopkeeper Jiang?” Zhao Qing’s eyes reddened, almost making a few tears slip out.

Zhao Xing massaged her temple and let out a heavy sigh. Silently, the transmigrator wanted to bang her head against the wall because of frustration. Who knows if she could transports herself back to the modern era like this if she died?

“Elder Sister, I really didn’t do anything ah! I was just walking away and suddenly Elder Sister fell to the floor!” Zhao Xing answered helplessly. In this ancient era, there were no surveillance cameras that could defend her testimony. This was such a headache!

“Is Xing’er trying to say Elder Sister tripped herself and dragged this shopkeeper to go to hell with me?”

The second miss rolled herself at that idiom. She mumbled under her breath, “Who knows?”

Zhao Qing wanted to speak out once more when a voice abruptly coldly interrupted them, “Didn’t you indeed trip yourself and drag the shopkeeper with you, Miss Zhao Qing?”

Zhao Xing swung her head to the direction of the voice’s source, she really wanted to clap at this person!

A young woman around Zhao Qing’s age was standing at the stairs that led to the second floor, an exclusive area restricted to other guests besides thevery important VIPs. The young ladyhad exquisite features andwore a crimson, majestic dress with soaring vermilion birds embroidery.Her hair was held up in a golden crown adorned withgleaming, bloody red diamonds.A light green jadeite ring encircled her slender fingers, makinh her appearance more noble.

Just with a single glance, Zhao Xing could guess this person wasn’t a normal noble. With her majestic aura, it wasn’t immposible if she was came from the royal family.

As though confirming the transmigrator’s guess, Zhao Qing quickly bowed her head and greeted the woman. She couldn’t hide her nervousness as her voice was clearly trembling, “T-this official’s daughter greets Her Highness Princess Fangyi!”

Her Highness Princess Fangyi, Gao Yi Ning, was the daughter of the late emperor. Even though her Imperial Father has passed away, she was still well-respected because she had her uncle win theemperor’s favor, along with her imperial brother who severely dotedonher.

“P-Princess Fangyi?” Zhao Xing’s eyes widened in shock, her mouth also gaping so large that one could stuff an egg inside her mouth. “Gao Chang Gong’s younger sister?”

Gao Yi Ning who already came close to them, could hear Zhao Xing’s voice. She couldn’t hold in a laugh of delight, seeming happily to see Zhao Xing. The princess thoughtof the girl to be adorable and hilarious. She never heard someone callher brother’s name so boldly like her ah!

“This princess finally has the chance to meet Prime Minister Zhao’s di[2] daughter! It’s really fortunate ah!”

The princess standing before Zhao Xing could finally observe the girl clearly.From her judgement, the second miss of prime minister’s manor was indeed a peerless beauty. Even though she came from an influental family, she didn’t seem arrogant or haughty for even a bit. She treated her servant well and didn’t look like someone who had a scheming mind. No wonder her half-sister felt jealous and tried to trick her.

Truth be told, Gao Yi Ning already noticed Zhao Xing from the moment she entered Xing Yun Antique Shop. When Zhao Qing suddenly appeared, the princess wondered that maybe there will be a show she could watch. Since she was born from a royal family of Northern Qi, she was already familiar with schemes and dirty tricks. Being her brother’s sister also made her able to read a person. And from her point of view, Zhao Qing was a fake person. She knew it since the first time they met several years ago.

Zhao Qing could only grit her teeth in hatred when Princess Fangyi ignored her and talked to her half-sister instead.

On the other hand, Zhao Xing was still shocked. Only when Xiao Yi pinched her waist gently did she finally regain her consciousness. She quickly bent her knees and slightly lowered her head.

“T-this official daughter greets Her Highness Princess Fangyi!”

Gao Yi Ning chuckled lightly, “Miss Zhao Xing can forego the formalities!”

Soon after the princess received the greetings, Zhao Qing sobbed again. Her intention was to attract the royal’s attention. However, she was clueless that her action only made Gao Yi Ning even more irritated.

“Miss Zhao Qing, this princess thinks that Miss Zhao Qing needs to be more careful next time and not cause trouble to another person!” Princess Fangyi turned her head at Zhao Qing. She didn’t bother to hide the hatred and disgust in her eyes.

Zhao Qing paled instantly upon hearing Gao Yi Ning’s coldwarning, her lips slightly trembling as she answered cowardly, “T-this official daughter doesn’t understand what is Her Highness implying?”

“You do understand, Miss Zhao Qing,” Princess Fangyi snorted in annoyance. “However, if this Princess is indeed wrong, this Princess heard several rumors on how mere daughters of concubines don’t have such a good education like the main daughters... it seems as ifthat’s the case since Miss Zhao Qing tends to look quite a bit of a dullard! Don’t worry, this Princess understands your situation clearly, therefore make sure to be careful next time!”

The transmigrator only watched from the side and mentally clapped for the coolprincess. She really liked her ah! Oh, and she also liked her brother!

“Aiya! My precious jade!” The old shopkeeper still wailing about his loss. He was currently holding a piece of jade and cried as though he just lost his child.

“Shopkeeper Jiang, I’m truly sorry for the mess, I’m truly sorry. I wonder how much these antique jades costs?” Zhao Xing asked carefully.

“Replying to Young Miss, these jades cost around eight hundred liangs of silver!”

The transmigrator felt like she could faint, she got dizzy only by knowing the price!

“X-xiao Yi, give me my money. Let me say goodbye to my babies first!” Zhao Xing turned to her maid and spoke helplessly, as though her life held no meaning anymore.

“Miss, this morning you told me to bring only fifty liangs of silver! You prohibited this servant to bring spare money lest we getrobbed!”

The charming princess couldn’t help but chuckleupon hearing them. In the next second, she groped her sleeves and took out a certain, gold pendant with red hanging tassels. She handed it to the old shopkeeper and said, “Bring this token to my manor and ask the accountant to pay for the damage. For the rest of the undamaged antiques, send them to Miss Zhao Xing’s pavilion at the prime minister’s manor!”

“Y-Your Highness... t-this...” Zhao Xing was shocked. D-did her idol’s sister just helped her?

“This princess heard that Miss Zhao Xing just came to the capital recently, take this small help as my gift to welcome you.”Before the transmigrator could express her gratitude, the princess quickly added, “If you want to thank this princess, you can accompany this princess for afternoon tea if you have time. My manor is always open for you!”

Zhao Xing was still in daze even after the princess left with her two maids.

When the second miss went back to the prime minister’s manor, her mother had been waiting for her at her Feng Yang Pavilion. Princess Chao Yang held an excited expression while she paced back and forth. It made Zhao Xing a bit puzzled.

“Mother, did something good happen? Why does mother look so happy today?” Zhao Xing let out a teasing smile as she walked towardher mother.

“Aiya, Xing’er, where did you go?” Princess Chao Yang held her daughter’s hands and continued on, “We just received news from your cousin. He has arrived at the capital and will visit us tommorow!”

 

Author’s Note:

[1]A buyao is a type of Chinese women's hair ornament. The jewelry dangles when the wearer walks, hence the name, which literally means "shake as you go". Common materials for buyaos include gold, silver, jade, and agate.

[2] Daughter from the main wife.

2