CHAPTER 1: THE BREAKUP
491 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Let’s break up,” Song Liuli spoke those words without any emotion in her voice as if she was just talking about the weather.

Liuli was sitting down on a very comfortable sofa chair in her supposed boyfriend’s - soon-to-be-ex - office. She looked at the man who had been buried in paperwork on his desk. His well-defined brows, aquiline nose, sharp jawline, plump lips - no doubt, this man is indeed handsome. His black orbs have so much depth, you’d probably get lost in them if you stare too much. However, he always kept a poker face on, even when facing her, his girlfriend. Song Liuli always thought that it was just his personality. But perhaps, she’s wrong about it all along. 

She had been there for an hour yet the man has never acknowledged her presence. He just continued reading and signing documents as if his life fully depended on them.

“What did you say?”, without even lifting his eyes off his papers, the man asked her in his usual cold voice.

She drew a deep breath before repeating her words. “I said, let’s break up.”

This time, the man lifted his gaze and directed it at her. He gazed at her for a while before speaking once again, “Why are you throwing a tantrum this time?”

“I’m serious,” Song Liuli spoke while trying to calm her drumming heart.

The man, Bai Minglan, sighed audibly before he went back to his work. “If you say so.”

Seeing Bai Minglan not showing any more interest in her words, Song Liuli clenched her fist and tried her hardest to stop herself from crying. Feeling that she can’t control her tears from falling any longer, she stood up with determination and headed to the door. She was about to close it but decided to ask one more question to the man she had spent her love on for the last 12 years.

“Bai Minglan…,” she called out. However, it is as if the man had never heard her as he just continued with his work. Her hold on the doorknob tightened.

“BAI MINGLAN!”, she screamed. She doesn’t care anymore if that female secretary outside, one whom she had been eating vinegar of, can hear her frustrations. After all, this is the last time.

Her scream definitely did its work as Bai Minglan looked up at her again. This time though, his brows were creased as if he was extremely annoyed at being disturbed.

“Song Liuli! Can’t you see that I’m busy here?!,” he reprimanded. His ever-present scowl looks even more prominent to Liuli as she figured out that Minglan may have gotten mad at this point.

Song Liuli felt hurt once again but she snorted inside her head. What else is new? This man never had the patience to deal with her.

“In the 12 years that we’ve been together, did you ever come to love me?”, she asked while looking him straight in the eyes.

“What nonsense are you spouting now?”

She looked down. Minglan seems to not want to answer her question but today she’s determined to get the answer to her questions. This is the end, after all.

“Do you love me?”

“Liuli, you are being childish right now.”, Minglan snorted and once again returned to his work. “We are already past 30 years of age and love is the only thing that’s on your head all day? Stop being spoiled!”

Indeed, Bai Minglan didn’t answer her straightforwardly again. As far as she remembers, he has always been clear about things that he likes and dislikes. Only when she asks about their relationship will Minglan act like this, as if he is avoiding something. At first, she thought that he was just shy and perhaps he was not the type to show off his affections. For all 12 years, she pardoned his indifference as something innate to him and one that she should understand as someone who aims to be by his side. However, 12 years is also enough for her to realize that Bai Minglan just doesn’t care about her at all. Perhaps, he may even view Song Liuli as a tool convenient to use. 

She’d had enough of it all.

Slamming the door behind her, Song Liuli’s clacking heels resounded all over the hallway of the CEO’s office. She didn’t look back nor did she take notice of the secretary sitting at the receptionist’s desk who seems to be snickering behind her back. She went straight to the elevator, only willing herself not to cry in front of so many people.

She lost big time when she gambled on loving this cold-hearted, poker-faced CEO. Loving a man who won’t love her back and even takes her for granted - just how pitiful is she?

Reaching the ground floor with reddish eyes, she can feel the stare of the company employees who are secretly pointing at her. In Song Liuli’s paranoid mind, she felt that everyone is pointing at her. It must be that secretary who passed on the words of her fight with Minglan.

Well, she doesn't care anymore.

Stepping out of the elevator and into the parking lot, Song Liuli once again took a deep breath to prevent herself from being overcome with emotions. If she doesn't do this, she might uncontrollably cry in place and become a sobbing mess. She doesn’t want that as she wants to leave with her dignity intact.

Entering her car, Song Liuli took another deep breath before looking at the direction of the elevator. She trained her eyes on the electronic display in between. Seeing that the numbers on the screen didn’t change and the up-down indicator was dim, it seems that the elevator won’t be moving anytime soon.

She bitterly chuckled to herself.

Once again, that man didn’t come after her. What did she expect?

Song Liuli wiped away the lone tear that raced down her cheek before starting up her car engine.

She’ll start a new life. This time, without him.

 


 

Hello! Author here!

This is not my first series, but this is one that I have a couple of chapters stockpiled. I hope you guys follow this story. Don't hesitate to comment or send me a message if you want to talk about the characters or the story.

I appreciate constructive criticisms but please no hate.

Stay safe and love lots!

7