Chapter 22 – Dream of a Fool
1.5k 3 50
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Mistress, we've arrived," Medoria said.

The Second Princess opened her eyes, wiped her tears, and adjusted her clothes. Her hands flattened the wrinkled black dress.

"Please let me help you."

The Second Princess nodded and straightened her back. A pair of hands massaged her face. A handkerchief caressed her cheeks and cleaned her tears.

"Mistress, you should sleep more."

"It's nothing. I'll have plenty of times after I die."

"Please don't say such words."

Medoria drew the curtain and knocked on the window. She led the Second Princess down from the carriage, passing two rows of the royal guards. They lowered their heads and uttered their condolence as the Second Princess passed them.

In front of the Second Princess, a red carpet stretched to the end of the path. The rose petals on it filled the atmosphere with a soft fragrance. It caressed her nose, calming her mind.

"We should hurry," she said, her eyes brimming with emotions.

The Second Princess stepped on the carpet. Though its texture was soft, she felt as if she was walking on a path of thorns. Her black dress was her chain, her gloves her handcuff. They bound her, dragged her, and pulled her to the dull reality.

"Walk slower," she said. "I want to admire the scenery."

Medoria held the Second Princess's hand and nodded. She leant closer to the Second Princess and never let go, using her warmth to comfort her. Their pace decreased, but no matter how slow they stepped, the end eventually arrived.

They stood in front of an enormous gate with two towering statues on both sides. They stared at the Second Princess, their gaze unwavering and ruthless.

"Mistress, please be careful."

The Second Princess mustered a smile and stroked Medoria's head. "I won't make you worry. I'll be back soon."

A creak resounded. The metallic gate moved, the gaps in it glowing in blue. The soft light penetrated the curtain which concealed the feature of the room. Its interior glittered in dull light, filled with the elegance of the royalty, yet it also had the agony of the mortals.

"Royal sister, you're finally here," the Crown Princess said.

"Sorry for my late intrusion."

The Second Princess reluctantly let go of Medoria before joining the funeral. The gate behind her closed. Without Medoria, she felt strangely empty and lonely. Despite the warming appearance, the imperial family was a wicked arena, a battlefield for the throne.

"Time is of the essence. I shall commemorate the deceased Third Prince," the Emperor said.

Everyone stood up and chanted the scripted verse.

Besides the royalty, those who participated in the funeral were the high-ranking nobles, the influential generals, the powerful Arbiters, and the emissaries.

Everything elegantly proceeded, but the Second Princess couldn't find any sincerity. The intention was wicked, the expression deceiving, and tone emotionless. She felt like a puppet on the stage, lifeless and mindless.

"As a man of great honour, the Third Princess sacrificed himself for the sake of the Human Empire. Though the Arachna had claimed his life, he shall forever live within our heart."

"Long live The Empire." The sentence echoed endlessly, though only a few put their emotions in it.

At the edge of the funeral, the Second Princess sat, her head hung low. A muffled sob resounded beside her. The Third Prince's wife cried, her handkerchief filled with teardrops.

"Sister, please don't cry."

"I've shown you my unladylike side. I'm sorry." It took her a few minutes to control her emotions. "Your highness, you're strong."

The Second Princess smiled wryly and shook her head.

"That Ocupas is one lucky man," the Third Prince's wife said.

"He's a genius and a great man." The Second Princess would have to marry him, to strengthen the relationship between the Elven Kingdom and the Human Empire. "A weak, feeble lady like me isn't his match."

Was it her desire? Did she yearn for it?

Throughout the funeral, the Second Princess remained silent. Under the disguise of her mesmerizing dress, she clenched her fists. Her thought spun.

It would pass.

She would cry, then move on, marry her man, then have children. What if it happened again? She didn't want it. She couldn't tolerate it, repeat it, then forget it. Today was her third brother. What about next? Her first brother, her fourth sister, or Medoria?

It mustn't go on.

"Thank you, sister," the Second Princess said, her eyes determined." Please allow me to be strong."

Teardrops fell from her face, but her sharp gaze remained firm. She permitted herself to cry for the last time. She would never forget about it. She changed from a youthful maiden, into an influential Second Princess.

"Everyone, it is my honour to have you all today," the Emperor said, his face beaming. "Though the heroic death of the Third Prince is tragic, we mustn't feel down for his contribution. We must embrace it and praise it. We must hold our heads high."

"Despite its short lifespan, a firework burns brighter than all others," the Crown Prince said. "Royal father is correct. We mustn't let sorrow drown us."

"Your highness is right." Everyone within the room agreed with the sentiment. The main event for the politic started after the ceremony.

"We shall propose a feast. As the host, we mustn't neglect those who travelled from afar." The Emperor turned to the Crown Prince.

"Royal father, your thought is in sync with mine."

"If your majesty said so, who are we to disagree?" voices of consent echoed.

The funeral converted into a lively feast. The gloominess left the people, and the indulgence took over. They didn't care about the Third Prince as much as the politic that would happen shortly.

"Your majesty, I feel unwell. Please allow me to go back first," the Third Prince's wife said, her tears still falling.

The Emperor nodded before going back to his talk. He entertained the guests, talked about benefits, and grew their relationship.

The wife stumbled her way out of the hall, her pace unstable.

"Royal father, I'll leave with her," the Second Princess said.

She hated the pretence. The way they spoke and praised with their snake tongues annoyed her. The wickedness in their voice angered her. Despite the death of her third brother, they never once revealed any sincere sorrow.

The Emperor dismissed her without a glance.

In silence, she left the hall with the Third Prince's wife. Medoria quickly rushed to her and supported the wife.

"Help her get to her carriage. I'll walk with you," the Second Princess said.

She strolled with Medoria. Her footsteps echoed throughout the hall. Without the constant presence of the nobility, she felt at ease. After she sent the Third Prince's wife away, she turned to Medoria.

"Medoria, what do you think about Ocupas?"

"He's a good man, mistress. If you truly love him, I'll wholeheartedly serve you and him." Medoria giggled. "I'll be more than happy if you live a happy life. Please allow me to take care of your children, too."

"My decision?" A short silence reigned. "I'll choose my future."

"What do you mean?"

"Do you remember I once told you I wanted a garden?"

"Mistress, you want to have a field of purple lavenders as well as a stargazing tower."

"Unfortunately, my status binds me, though it also guides me."

"Mistress, if you want a garden, you can have it as big as you want."

The Second Princess smiled. "There is something more important now. It will have to wait."

"Mistress," Medoria said. "Have you fallen in love?"

The Second Princess stared at the ceiling. "I've fallen out of love."

Medoria followed her gaze. She saw nothing extraordinary. "I don't understand."

"Starting from tomorrow, you'll be learning advanced economy and accounting."

"Please don't leave me!" Medoria panicked, her face threatening to cry.

"I won't leave you, but you'll have to work hard. Change my schedule. I'll seriously learn the art of war and the art of Fons."

"What about your tea time and your sightseeing?"

"Get rid of them. As long as I've proper meals and sleep, everything is fine."

What was the use of a happy life, if everything around her could crumble at any time?

"I'll work hard."

"I'll make sure you won't exhaust yourself."

"If mistress can do it, why can't I?"

"We'll see." Either the world forced her to change, or she changed the world.

They reached the carriage, their expressions shifting from sorrow to carefree.

"Her highness the Second Princess has arrived," the royal guards shouted. They performed a quick salute before opening the gate for her.

Without any hesitation, she stepped forwards.

The Second Princess, the strongest Arbiter of the younger generation, a member of the Director Board of the Human Empire's army, strolled out of her study room and into the hallway.

"Your highness." The military officers saluted, their sweats trickling down from their brows. They strengthened their backs and tensed their muscles.

"At ease," the Second Princess said, her gaze landed on Medoria behind her. "Medoria, is the stage ready?"

"Mistress, the preparation finished an hour ago. You have exactly eleven minutes before the army expects you."

"You're all dismissed." She waved her hand.

The officers saluted, shouted their line, and walked out of the corridor. Their footsteps grew louder as the distance widened before fading away. The Second Princess stretched her arms and relaxed her posture.

"How is the progress?" she said.

"We've confirmed it. The evidence, however, isn't enough to expose them."

"I'll verify it myself."

"Mistress, I can't change your mind, but please consider it once more."

"If I didn't anticipate this, I would've already turned back." She giggled, her voice unusually dried. "It's my life. You know it."

Medoria lowered her head. "They're fools."

"Don't worry," the Second Princess said. "It'll pass."

"Please take care of yourself."

"Are you implying that I can't take care of myself?"

"Not just imply, but directly state."

A Laughter broke out. When no one was around, they would often time joke with each other. Except for their circle of friends, no one would see their friendly side.

"The time is nigh." The Second Princess checked her watch. "I should go."

"I'll be waiting in your study room. Please come back soon. You still have one more appointment for the day."

"It's fine. I've already planned everything." If all collapsed, at least Medoria would be safe. For humanity, she would do anything.

The Second Princess descended from her tower through the neat, metallic spiral staircase.

50