Chapter 26 – The Secrets They Held
1.3k 5 37
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After Princess ordered Angelica to wait outside, she surveyed the surrounding and inspected the data charts inside her vision. The mist in the corners of the room filled her vision. Its milky white later coated the walls, the ceiling, and the floor.

With it, Princess locked herself inside the room. Nothing could trespass the barrier, not even her connection with the spiderlings.

"Monitor the outside and report all anomalies to me."

The system created another window in her vision, revealing the unsuspecting Angelica who was cleaning the vessel to calm herself. She occasionally glanced at the central control room where Princess remained inside.

If Princess wanted to escape, she must power Shifting Mist. Was it possible to use Fons in the communication cube as the fuel? Scans completed: unable to foresee the result.

Princess sighed and gestured her hands. The Fons danced with the floating cube before coiling around it. It peeled itself from the top. Its layer of thin, metallic sheets unfolded and formed a black platform, which refracted all lights. It floated like a hologram base and adjusted its level to compensate for Princess's height. The process took a few minutes before it came to a halt.

Blue bots emerged from the platform. They stopped in an unorderly pattern, forming slopes and shapes. Before long, the unrecognizable mess became an emblem. An expressionless dark purple mask, crowned with a pair of twisting horns. It was the symbol of the Arachna, staring at Princess. It was crude yet beautiful.

Like a masquerade mask, anyone could wear it, and no one would be able to guess the identity beneath.

"My child, we finally meet," a voice rang. Its feminine yet metallic quality resembled Princess's voice.

"Are you the Arachna Queen?"

"Yes. I've been waiting for you."

"What is your name?"

"So you forget . . ." Her voice was hoarse. "You'll remember everything soon."

Princess narrowed her eyes. "How can you be so sure?"

"The world is big yet small, transparent yet murky. Its topmost part is smaller than you expect, but it's also deeper than you can reach."

"I'm just a princess of the Human Empire. I can't keep up with the schemes of that level."

"You've got the potential. I'll guide you and help you ascend. Within time, you'll be the greatest mind of your generation."

"What do you want?"

"The destruction of the balance. We won't stop no matter what."

"What's the point? It isn't worth it." Princess waited. The emblem remained motionless, flashing in blue light as the flow of Fons fluctuated.

"You'll understand when you remember everything."

"But I'm a human at heart. Why do you think I will help you?

"Your human life is tragic, my dear. They don't deserve you, don't know your potential, and don't understand the consequence." The Arachna Queen raised her voice. "I'll bring you where you belong. I'll fulfil your dream."

"You talk about my dream as if you know me, but you haven't told your name and showed your face."

Silence reigned, but Princess was determined for the answer. Though useless, she stared at the expressionless mask and maintained eye contact. Her gaze penetrated through the blue dots and landed on the other side.

"It sadly isn't possible right now, but hopefully you'll remember everything when we meet," the Arachna Queen said.

"Why not now? Are you suspicious of your daughter?"

"I trust you, but the Gods are listening. It isn't safe."

"When I woke up here, I was alone with a convenient corpse to devour. Is it your arrangement?"

"I'm not the controller of fate. Originally, I only want you to remember yourself before sending Paleknight to take you back."

"Angelica, is she allowed to come with me?"

"If I were you, I'll send her to the farthest place I can. It's for the best."

"You can't protect her?"

"I don't want you to suffer. Though she means the best to you, she'll bring you pain."

"If you know about my relationship with her, then they must also know."

"But you can break away from her. I'll help you."

"I believe there is nothing more to discuss." Everything would happen, eventually.

"I would like to talk more, but the Fons is depleting. It's already hard enough to circumvent the isolation barrier."

"Aren't you afraid I'll use the Fons in it to power the vessel?"

"I know you won't do it," the Arachna Queen said. "It's my maternal instinct."

Princess looked at her body. Her smooth, dark-purple carapace was the result of mixing the Arachna's gene with her human's body. Maybe she might have the way to break the barrier between species.

"When will we meet again?" Princess said.

"Once you destroy City D-34, Paleknight will take you to me. After that, we'll be together."

"The last question: are there others like me?"

"No. I only have one daughter, you." Her voice was tender. "Then, goodbye."

The emblem dispersed into countless blue bots. They scattered after a certain period of aimless drifting. The black platform vibrated before folding inwards and stacking on top of one another. They overlapped and formed a perfect cube.

"System, how is it?" Unknown technology, possibly from the Ancient Era. Insignificant data, needed more time to analyze the process.

"Can you repair Angelica and severe the connection between her and the unknown?" The process required the usage of data transferring. The current fuel was insufficient.

"How far can you connect with me?" The radius of one kilometre around the vessel. Any farther would require a handheld device for direct communication.

The mist drifted off and formed a sphere above her hand. It dispersed and revealed a delicate ring. On its head was a smooth pearl, big enough to be noticeable yet small enough to be comfortable. It stood at the topmost part and shone in a milky glow. Its silver base shank to Princess's ring finger's size.

She inserted it into her left hand's finger. It fitted without any friction or discomfort. Its silvery hue contrasted with her dark purple skin.

"Show me what Angelica was doing."

A screen flashed. Angelica sat in a corner, contemplating something as her eyes blankly stared at the wall opposite of her. Her legs curled up, her hands holding them.

Why?

Though Princess knew the answer, she didn't want Angelica to feel that way. She tossed the cube away and walked to the gate. As she came close, the fog parted for her and revealed the metallic entrance.

Her mouth opened, yet no words came out. Angelica mustn't be harmed. Princess would stand against the Arachna Queen if she laid her hand on Angelica.

"Just a little more," she said as her hand tapped the gate.

Angelica snapped back to reality and hastily stood up. Her legs trembled.

"Are you all right?" Princess said.

"As long as I don't perform complex tasks, I'm fine."

"Take good care of yourself. You still have to learn a lot more from me."

Princess weaved a strand of Fons and touched Angelica's neck. As it seeped into her circuit, Angelica shivered, but she managed to restrain her moan.

"It'll be over soon," Princess whispered.

Screens after screens appeared in Princess's vision, detailing Angelica's internal structure. With every inch of her body invaded, the in-depth model became apparent. From the exterior to the interior, Angelica's entire being, her dress, her facial expression, her fingers, her internal system, revealed itself before the Princess.

"The complexity hides within simplicity." Despite having technical knowledge regarding androids, Princess couldn't understand the fundamental structures displayed before her.

At first glance, Angelica was an ordinary android. If not for the in-depth scan Princess performed, she wouldn't know Angelica was more complicated than that.

"I've seen the general outline."

No sign of anything suspicious. Princess couldn't find the origin of the information transmission signal and the consciousness inhibition system. Angelica held Princess's hand and drew it to her face and rubbed it, her eyes turning watery.

"Please stay like this for a while."

Princess gradually smiled. "As long as you wish."

She looked at Angelica, though her mind wandered around. The gem in her chest shone brighter than ever.

37