Chapter 48 – For the Greater Good
481 5 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Mistress?" Medoria said. She stared at Princess, her eyes unblinking.

"You've changed," Princess said before looking at her body. "I've changed, too."

"No matter what you've become, you're still my mistress." Medoria looked at Princess's exotic body. Though she had seen it before, viewing the real thing was more impactful. "Please come back."

Princess shook her head. "I don't want to drag you down."

"Mistress, I'm powerful. I can protect you." Medoria held her chest high and looked at Princess, waiting for the praise for which she longed. "Lady Specria and I are already at the edge of ascension."

Princess flicked a drop of Divine Fons toward Medoria. It spiralled at Medoria and broke into the gentle wind. The soft rumble echoed throughout the floor. Medoria felt a slight tickle as she got gently pushed back without any chance of resistance.

"Medoria, for an Authority, everything else is meaningless. I'm glad you're willing to stand by me, but my existence will only bring you pain."

"Mistress, we promise to share joy and pain. Please allow me to be by your side again." Medoria knelt on the ground, her eyes staring at Princess.

Princess averted her gaze and sighed. She stayed silent, unwilling to say anything. The pair of determined eyes melted her heart, but she steeled herself from acting with emotions.

"Medoria, stand up. My maid mustn't kneel easily."

Medoria shivered as she stood up. She neatly dusted her clothes and smiled at Princess, teardrops seeping from her eyes. "Yes, mistress."

"Peritia, you've ascended," Specria said.

"You will soon. I believe in your perseverance."

"I could only hope. Not everyone can become an Authority. We aren't you."

"I risk my life to ascend, but you don't have to." Princess took a step forwards and appeared in front of Specria. She created a small ever-changing formation and tossed it to Specria. "I gift you the insight of Divinity. Study it well."

Medoria took a step forwards and went past the formation. She hugged Princess, her hands going around Princess and her head leaning on her. Her action caught Princess off guard. She tightened her embrace.

"Mistress, I miss you."

Princess embraced Medoria, her hands patting the back. "I know. It must have been hard on you. I'm sorry."

"It's nothing compared to seeing you again."

"Don't undermine your effort. You're important to me. You'll surely become the youngest Authority."

"Mistress, you flatter me. I come here because I can't ascend by myself. My talent isn't as great as yours."

Princess raised her head and stared at the ceiling. She sighed before turning to Medoria and Specria. The air around her cooled, filling the atmosphere with a deadly chill.

"To meet you here isn't a coincidence. The Authorities have arranged this," Princess said.

"Mistress, what do you mean?" Medoria said.

"You must choose between them and me." Princess stopped Medoria from answering. "I've known your answer, but I have a better plan."

"Anything for you, mistress."

Medoria turned to Specria, her eyes determined. They understood their intention and nodded. The chilling aura Princess exuded didn't faze them. They knew she wouldn't betray them.

"I'm sorry. Both of you will suffer for me," Princess said.

She spread her arms and hugged them. Her eyes turned blurry as tears began to manifest. Though she didn't say anything, the silence was enough.

"Mistress, are you leaving?" Medoria grabbed Princess's shoulders. "Please be safe and promise me you'll return."

"I promise." Princess turned to Specria. "Take good care of her for me."

The Library of Knowledge violently rocked as the floors split. The Fons in the surrounding turned chaotic as an all-inspiring might tore the building asunder.

Princess took a step backwards and pushed her palm forwards. She generated a wave of Divine Fons that struck Medoria and Specria. The impact threw them to a bookshelf, collapsing it as they landed. Though they didn't suffer any fatal injury, the internal wounds paralyzed their movement.

A golden light approached Princess. It cleaved the wall and bookshelves it touched in half, instantly atomizing them. She glanced at it and held her delicate hand out.

With two fingers, she stopped the light and dispersed it with a stroke of her hand. The Divine Fons transformed into a mist of liquified Fons which saturated the surrounding with golden gleams.

The Library of Knowledge creaked. Its top floor snapped and fell. The impact from the golden light shifted its structure and tore the ceiling open, revealing the sky.

With a sadistic smile on her face, Princess stared at the battle in the sky. Shifting Mist exuded a wave of pale fogs and absorbed all kinds of powers assaulting it. It glowed in faint golden light before shooting a single ray of Divine Fons outward.

The ray swept across Elemental Labyrinth. The heatwave instantly erupted into a massive wall of explosions which dwarfed mountains into insignificance.

Countless invisible barriers crumbled. They shattered into a rain of Fons and filled Elemental Labyrinth with colourful sparks. The small buildings and infrastructures vanished under the ray of destruction. Only the major complex remained, their condition ruined.

An earthquake sent the world asunder. The Library of Knowledge trembled despite its enormous weight and the magical formation that protected it. Nevertheless, nothing reached the sixth floor upon which Princess stood. All was quiet in front of her Divine Fons.

She gazed at the sky above her. A group of Elementals manifested from the chaotic air. They exuded an oppressive yet calm aura, revealing their godly power under the lack of the ripple of Fons.

"Teacher, you're here."

"Peritia, you've become strong, but your path is still hopeless."

"I don't need hope to succeed. What can despair do when even death can't take me?"

"Do you think the Arachna Queen is right? Her victory means the end of the Great Races."

Princess sneered and swept her gaze across every Authority standing above her. "Why must I care for the Great Races, when they sent me to my death?"

"What happens to your loyalty and your selflessness?"

"The old me has died under the Divine Tribulation. Now, I am the Fallen Princess of the Arachna."

The Divine Fons erupted from Princess. The crumbling formation of the Library of Knowledge froze before vibrating. It released multi-coloured Fons, forming an ever-branching maze. Its structure stretched across Elemental Labyrinth.

"Peritia, do you think you can defeat us?"

"Teacher, I've never overestimated myself. As long as the formation overloads and explodes, the Library of Knowledge will disappear."

"You aren't Peritia anymore. Your kindness and honour have disappeared."

"Teacher, you teach me not to value any sentiment."

"The old you wouldn't hurt them."

"They are merely humans, the same race as those who betray me."

The Authorities raised their hands and created countless formations. They spread their reach and bound the ever-expanding maze. The colourful lines halted their movement, but the brightness continued to intensify without end.

The chaotic airflow from the massive explosion created a strong tempest that covered Elemental Labyrinth. It blew a series of winds which dragged the Fons in the surrounding to the maze. It absorbed the Fons and strengthened itself endlessly.

Princess glanced at Medoria and Specria, who stared at her in despair. They struggled to move, but the Divine Fons in their bodies bound them. It restrained the Fons in their bodies and weaved them into her puppets.

"Either join me or die," Princess said. She vanished from the spot and traversed through space to stand in front of Medoria. Her hand reached out.

A bolt of lightning shot towards Princess, its heat melting the surrounding, including the air. The powerful shockwave exploded from the impact as the lightning generated a sea of sparks which shone brighter than the sun in the cloudy day.

"Do you think you can save them, when they're under my control?" Princess said, her hand grabbing the bolt of lightning. The heat seared her skin but failed to damage her.

"The world is deeper than you think."

Inemas, Princess's teacher, descended from the sky. His hand cast a shadow over Princess and gripped her silhouette. The air around her solidified before compressing. The pressure crushed the Fons in the surrounding and warped space, distorting the perspective.

Though the other Authorities had to restrain the self-destruction of the Library of Knowledge, Inemas alone was enough to contend against Princess. He casually pinned her on the ground while she struggled to break free.

Princess pulled Medoria closer to her. Her other hand caressed Medoria's face. She turned to Inemas and smiled, deactivating her power. The pressure intensified. Medoria shrieked as her skin split, cracking from the invisible force.

Inemas sighed and softened his power. He watched Princess playing with Medoria, whose face was tearful. She stared at Princess with her dull eyes, disappointment and despair lingering in her pupils.

"Why don't you kill me?" Princess said.

"You disappoint me, Peritia. Does the past mean nothing to you anymore?"

"Once she is with me, she'll understand."

Princess grinned, her fangs narrowly revealing her sadistic tendency. The surrounding platform creaked as a sudden impact ruptured it. She threw Medoria to the side and snapped the spider legs behind her to intercept a strike. The force pushed her backwards and downwards, cracking the floor into pieces.

Inemas stood in front of Princess, his body towering over her. His hand grabbed her limp, trembling with the explosive power hiding inside it. Princess coughed as blood seeped from her cracked carapace. Despite strengthened by Divinity, her body was still inferior to Inemas, who had more time and experience.

"Teacher, the years living in seclusion has worn down your power."

"You're modest. If only you have time to blossom, you'll become a candidate for the strongest Authority."

The shadow beneath Inemas emerged from the floor. It branched into countless hands that enveloped Princess. They gripped her and exerted their force. Their silhouettes radiated a golden gleam.

The orb in Princess's chest glowed. She weaved her Divine Fons into a pattern and generated a freezing forcefield around her. It tainted the world blue and froze all movement. The Fons and the air ceased their flow. With a tap of her fingertip, she broke through the swarm of the shadow.

Inemas bounced back as the absolute zero temperature froze his Elemental body. He stared at Princess, his dull eyes finally gleaming.

"Your Frost Domain affects your personality, Peritia. You used to be warm and kind."

"I also used to think you're a good person, teacher. Sadly, my trust in you broke when you forced my crew to die."

Princess turned to Specria, but she had disappeared. The shadow that attacked her also took Specria with them. Without any choice, she glanced at Medoria and lifted her. The blood tainted her body, filling her nose with a sweet fragrance.

"Teacher, let's see your determination." Princess licked Medoria's neck and nubbled on it, cutting a wound and savouring the blood.

Inemas stared at her provocation, but he didn't act rashly. Though he could attempt to capture Princess, Medoria might die by the collateral damage. The force behind her, though consisted of mortals, had enough influence to cause upheaval on the scale that could disrupt the plan.

"Teacher, for the greater good, you might have to let me be," Princess said as she glanced at the sky.

Shifting Mist pushed Tripeak Mothership backwards as it shot a beam of annihilation across the horizon. It hit the barrier and erupted into a fireball that covered the sky, creating a cloud of ashes which concealed the sun from the world.

Because Shifting Mist had the hostages from the Elven Kingdom, Tripeak Mothership couldn't use their most destructive weapon. If the royalty of the Elf died by their hand, the consequence would be far too great for them to pay.

"Farewell, teacher," Princess said as she ascended Shifting Mist with Medoria in her hand.

Staring at her fleeting figure, Inemas smiled and pointed at her. The shadow cast by Shifting Mist vibrated and erupted into a field of darkness. It assaulted Princess and disregarded Medoria whose eyes reeked of death.

If you like my content, please help me by favouriting, rating, or reviewing the story. If you want to see more, you can unlock a few advanced chapters on Patreon. You can also join my Discord if you want to contact me.

15