Chapter 52 – The Pain You Shouldn’t Feel
414 4 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In her sleep, Princess felt carefree and light. She experienced nothing but emptiness. An emptiness that permeated her mind and calmed her soul. She floated along the stream of subconsciousness, hovering in the dreamless land.

She vividly sensed her surrounding despite not perceiving anything. Her body was the void, and the void was her body. It was the vast darkness filled with light, generating invisible particles which promptly annihilated each other in an instant, releasing minuscule energy into the air.

The infinitesimal energy tainted the void, leaving dots of paleness which diffused into myriad shapes. Though insignificant compared to the vast canvas that was the darkness, patterns gradually emerged and filled it, attracting a part of Princess's eternal awareness.

She stared at one of the dots and reached her hand inside it. Her majestic presence penetrated the bobble and entered the inner world. Despite repelling force, she could effortlessly move through it, and if desired so, destroyed everything in it.

As Princess drew back her presence, her all-encompassing power contaminated the pure bubble and formed a group of fascinating lifeforms who aimlessly forged order and ruled over the world. Because of their curious behaviour, Princess refrained from doing anything and silently watched their progress.

In the time which had no meaning within the timeless void, a flash of light emerged from the world, prompting Princess to take a look. She stared at the being tainted by her power attempted to break out of her control. The figure stared at her infinitesimal presence and challenged her authority. She found the action cute, so she willingly relinquished her control.

As soon as the Thread of Fate disintegrated, Princess felt a searing headache as she fell from the dizzy height of infinity. Her majestic aura faded into obscurity and merged with the darkness. In her fall, she witnessed the void folding onto her, pushing her into the bubble.

A soft, gentle wind caressed her body. Princess opened her eyes and stared at the translucent curtains above her. A set of silk blankets and pillows surrounded her, supporting her weight on a beautiful king-sized bed.

She got up and surveyed her strange yet familiar surrounding. Beside her bed, an unusual candle was brightly burning, radiating a soothing blue light and a flowery fragrance. The scent tapped her nose and reminded her of her childhood.

The room was black, having the ancient design that imitated the olden day while constructed from unusual material of unknown origin. It was big and wide, having the balcony where the sunset filled the scenery, hiding behind a mountain range. It painted the sky orange.

Princess got off the bed and walked to the balcony, her eyes staring at the wasteland. She placed her hands on the handrail and leant outwards, feeling the cold wind and gazing into the horizon. The massive sun burning in front of her reminded her of the God of Light. She shook her head and looked down.

Princess stood upon a black castle, the monument of the ancient past. Its height towered over the world and dwarfed the surrounding, filling the atmosphere with an oppressive presence. Beside its peak, Shifting Mist remained stationary, bound with it through a series of black chains.

Though the height prevented her from seeing clearly, Princess spotted various exotic Arachna moving about the vicinity, doing their tasks and forming a complex transport chain. Despite the surreal scenery around her, Princess didn't feel any sense of urgency. Only tranquillity and nostalgia pervaded her mind.

Princess turned back and walked towards the door. She held her hand forwards and waited. The door creaked open, revealing a humanoid Arachna covered in the pale-white carapace. Paleknight bowed and received her hand.

"Your highness, please excuse my intrusion."

"How long have I been sleeping?"

"A little more than a month. Shifting Mist had sent you to us. Your highness is now safe in the heart of our land."

Princess closed her eyes and exhaled, feeling the emptiness gushing through her heart. "Bring me to the Arachna Queen."

"Her majesty wished for your highness to rest first. Do you want to tour the garden?"

"We can take a detour. I need to confirm something."

Paleknight nodded and led Princess through an exquisite hallway. With candle lamps burning on the ceiling, the atmosphere was dim yet elegant. The smooth carving along the walls revealed countless artworks and historical depictions. One was the tale of the Countryside Man and the Elven Maiden.

"Who created this place?" Princess said.

"Her majesty had us built it according to her design."

"How long had she been here? Does she have any friend?"

"Her majesty had been here since your first death, waiting for you. She had four Archaic Rulers under her, each commanding the Arachna who battled against the Great Races."

Princess listened to the explanation as she traversed through the silent hallway. The cold wind fluttered her black dress and caressing her cheeks. Its chilliness passed through the cracks in the walls and whistled a soft melody.

A faint ray of light landed on her face, attracting her attention. A transparent window exposed the outer view of the castle, revealing the inner garden. Enclosed in a dome of crystal, the wilderness in it flourished in a soothing green tone.

Princess stopped and stared at the garden. Its imagery pulled her into the depth of her memory. The marble tea table where her mother used to sit, the grass field where she used to lie on, they swirled inside her and brought her emotions out on her face. She smiled as her expression softened.

"Does my mother often sit here?"

"Her majesty frequents many places inside the palace. Your highness will find them as you walk through the hallway."

"Is she alone all these times?"

"Aside from us Paleknights, her majesty is always alone."

Princess caressed the glass before turning away and continued her journey. Her pace slightly increased.

Along the way, she went through a trip down memory lane, encountering the places of nostalgia where she used to visit, play, relax, and forget about everything. Though they died with her mother, she never forgot them.

Approaching the end of the line, Princess stared at the terminal point, crowded with flowers she used to plant. Though the black colour of the hallway was ominous, she couldn't help but feel a sense of security upon walking across the field of fragrance.

"Behind the gate, her majesty waits for you, your highness."

"Paleknight, how long has she been here?"

"Since the beginning, and she will continue to do so until the end."

"Did she choose this?"

Paleknight lowered its head and remained silent. "Please enter the room once you're ready, your highness. I can only accompany you up to this point."

Princess stared at the gate with a smile that slowly turned weary. She sighed and walked past the kneeling Paleknight, her hands exerting the slightest effort to push the enormous gate open. It creaked and gradually parted, revealing a spacious dining room.

At the end of the long table, The Arachna Queen quietly sat in front of rows of empty chairs, staring at the empty plates while waiting for the gate to open. She raised her head to gaze at Princess. Her solemn expression instantly melted into a heart-warming one.

The Arachna Queen tapped her finger. The dining room vibrated and transformed into a cosy living room, filled with sunlight and soft decoratives. She stood up, but her body faintly trembled and collapsed onto the chair, her face saturated with concern.

Princess averted her gaze and slightly pulled her dress, performing a curtsey. Her movement was slow and elegant, yet a sense of gloom and frustration permeated her silhouette. She kept her head hung low while stepping forwards, her mind running through a series of questions she hoped to ask but never could.

Instead of the nearest seat, Princess walked past the rows of emptiness and stood behind the Arachna Queen, placing her hands on the cresting rail. She leant onto the Arachna Queen and embraced her from behind. Their dark purple skin touched.

"Mother, we finally meet."

"Peritia, it must have been hard for you. I'm sorry."

"How are you, mother?"

Princess moved her head, feeling the hard yet gentle sensation of the pitch-black carapace. Though the atmosphere had a slight chill, the Arachna Queen's hand which stroked Princess's head dispelled it.

"Every day I spent without you is disheartening, but everything is worth it," the Arachna Queen said, her voice echoing in a coarse, fatigued voice. "Can you promise to stay here? Mother will take care of everything from now on."

Princess moved away from the Arachna Queen and stared at her feet. Her breathing intensified. The Arachna Queen couldn't bear to face Princess, so she covered her mouth with her hands, her eyes concealed underneath her hair as she looked down.

"I miss you, mother. It's been one lifetime since I last saw you," Princess said.

"I have no excuse for my irresponsibility. I've lain about my death."

"All these years, you've been here, alone."

"I never intend for this to happen. The solitary you suffered is my fault."

"Why? You could have contacted me, or given me a hint, or anything." Princess raised her voice. Her body kept trembling out of her control. "Instead, you just . . . disappeared. The lack of hope, the lack of farewell, the lack of comfort, it's painful."

Princess wiped her tears with her arms, her weeps permeating the silent room. Her teardrops rained from her eyes, landing on the hand which caressed her cheek. She froze and slowly raised her head.

The Arachna Queen stood in front of Princess. Her silhouette slightly towered over Princess, though her body was trembling as her legs threatened to give in. She gently placed her hand on the back of Princess and pulled her in, patting her head.

"I know. I understand your pain. Your third brother's corpse still rests beneath the replica of his villa. Though no amount of repentance can bring him back, I'll still repent," the Arachna Queen said. "Please, Peritia, I can't lose anyone anymore. Please don't let me make the same mistake."

Princess grasped the Arachna Queen's hand and stared at her, her eyes strangely dull. "Mother, I'm sorry for my outburst. Please forgive my childishness, but still, I can't promise you."

"Peritia, your eyes?" The Arachna Queen delicately held Princess's face and examined her eyes. She fell silent as her eyes melted into a river of tears. She abruptly hugged Princess, hiding her sorrowful face. "I'm sorry I couldn't help you. I'm sorry I couldn't be there with you. I'm sorry."

Princess felt the coldness from the teardrops and remained motionless, letting the muffled cry echo outwards. The mournful melody permeated the atmosphere, though it sounded unearthly beautiful.

"Mother, don't worry. I know what I'm doing. Everything I did is for my dream." Princess gradually separated from the Arachna Queen and supported her to the chair. She sat beside the Arachna Queen and grasped her hand, reassuring her with a smile. "Will you forgive me if I break my promise again?"

"You're unfair. How can I not forgive you? But you need to tell me, with absolute certainty, that you won't regret it afterwards."

"Please believe in me once more, Mother."

"You're still as childish as ever." The Arachna Queen sighed, her eyes revealing a hint of happiness absent for decades. She leant against her chair and caressed Princess's hand. "Do you still remember the tale of the Countryside Man and the Elven Maiden?"

In the ancient past, the world was beautiful and calm, filled with the grace of Heaven, devoided of suffering and the Arachna. There was once a young man who fell in love with an Elven shrine maiden.

I'm too lazy to copy-paste the same note. Patreon here.

11