My Misery(Prolouge)
37 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

How would you feel when something called ‘Magic’ suddenly comes into your life? Happy, Glorified, or Ecstatic maybe. You would hope that it would paint your life in a new color.  

I guess you wouldn’t feel sad for losing your little sister due to it or mind the fact the people who swore to protect you, use you as test subjects or not even the fact that the person you trusted cheats you.  

In the world of ‘Tecverent’, I lost everything to this so-called ‘Magic’. It brought wars to the innocent, made them homeless, orphans, and less human.  

  

Where I was a child with a family, I lived my life as an orphan. Parents scattered away when the siren broke, leaving two young daughters age 4 and 10 to fend for themselves. With no idea what was happening, I played with my sister till something attacked our homes, something magical that burned the person it hit. Where it came from, I still do not know but what it took I still remember......My lovely little sister........someone who was just growing up. I picked her up as her body became a corpse and engulfed into smoke. As her voice faded, I heard her speak the words I would remember forever.  

“I wish I could use magic.”  

The silly sister of mine saw beauty in her foe. But this beauty wasn’t what she was seeing when her eyes lost their light.  

I was crying hugging the burning doll; burns did not matter to me, as I was holding my sister for the last time. No idea on what to do I stayed there watching the corpse burn with the magic that she had admired at first sight.  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  

As an itinerant, I roamed. Malnourished, pitiful, and moribund. I stole and fought to survive. I do not know why, but I did.   

The attacks from our enemy had stopped and rescue mission began, luckily, I was found before my death, I was lying in the alley of a broken-down building, hit by a rod on the head.   

The rescue took me to a refuge and helped me survive, but I wish they didn’t.   

After that I lived in the refuge as the war had destroyed the nation, I lived in...  

” What a lie they sprout.”  

......Scared by their words I stayed, I thought   

“We are on the same side what could go wrong.”  

But I was so wrong.  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  

The camp had many people, some who lost their parents, some their children, and some who just lost their home. Aimless and worried we settled here, ate whatever we got, wore anything we got.  

In the camp, I met someone as unlucky like me, someone, who also lost her all. We became friends, helped each other whenever we could, while we lived, I found out she was younger to me by 2 years, so I treated her as my little sister. She was the one who had made me smile after I lost my little sister. But who knew even she would be taken away from me.  

  

One day the people who worked for the leader of the country drugged our food and took us somewhere, a facility where we were experimented on as Guinea Pigs for the so-called something. Unlucky as I was, I lost everything and this time again for the so-called‘Magic’.  

I did not know what the experiment was or what they had done to me.  

A few days later I was transported to a place, it looked like what the place used to look like before the war.  

The person who transported me over here said,  

“Welcome to your Utopia.”  

I thought Utopia, “Utopia of loneliness and sadness.”   

Over there I was treated differently. Like a soldier, a soldier training for war. I was trained for 18 hours daily, regular health checkups, and food that was rich in protein.  

It happened for almost three months, and one day I found some changes in me. I was suddenly able to run the same length as every day but now with ease, lift the weight I couldn’t at first. When I told this to the nurse, I was shifted again and this time to a school.   

A school when those like me were trained and lived, a school for Magic users. Where I got to know I could cast magic.  

I was given a tool which showed me the magic I could use,  

I cried looking at the beautiful thing in my hand, as I feared its might that was tragic.  

I was forced to train here, forced to learn magic that was demonic. I did not want to train but I did.  

Later on, I met a boy the same age as me over there. Unlike me who had been fighting for survival, he was born and brought up here, in the city that had the school. He also had been through a procedure to be able to use magic, but later on, I find out his wasn’t as dangerous as mine. As mine was an unsupervised experiment, his was a safety-tested procedure. I was a guinea pig and he was the patron.   

I fell in love with him not knowing what all I had gone through was just because of people like him.  

In our school life, we were taught about the so-called ‘Magic’, how only some people can use it, how a particular metal can only channel the power we possessed. And different tactics to use them, using it in our daily life. After becoming a soldier, we would have a special status in society and if we worked hard, we could be free from serving the army and live like others in the city.  

For people like my boyfriend, it was natural to live in the city without going to war but for people like us there was no other option, we had to go to the battlegrounds and promote to higher ranks.   

And then after graduation, we went different ways but the same destination. He would get in a higher position in the council, to have me by his side, and I would be getting good merits in the army to live by his side.  

It took us time but we came together after years, I was happy, I had earned enough merits to come and live with him.  

I didn’t doubt him ever and that may have been my doom. I was just happy to be by his side, we married after a year but..........  

….......... he cheated on me............even before I came back...........and he already had a kid with the female...........someone who had a relationship with the members of the council.......and he said to me.  

“I did it for us.”  

Married a girl.......loved her.......had kids.......for us......without me in it.......  

I was broken I ran away from him the person who........who..........let me to die in the battlefield, who was living a happy life inside the walls, as I starved, killed, nearly died all for this........  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  

Somedays after I left him, ran away from the so-called house of ours, I found out.........I was pregnant.......I wanted to kill it as it reminded me of him but couldn’t.  

I had the kid after 9 months. And the moment I say to him, I saw someone that I could love, a family. Me and him. Just us.  

The child became the beacon of hope. His smile made me fly high, laughter was smooth that made me alive, he was the thing that I wanted, the thing I was missing when the war started, he was my future of pure bliss.  

But.......  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  

…......again I lost my happiness. When he came back in my life, not for me but my son asking me to hand him over to him. I thought with the magic I had I could keep him safe and happy and yet again the magic destroyed my life.  

He was taken away, I cried as he left and this magic couldn't do anything for me.  

Magic..................................  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  

This screwed-up fantasy about Magic its bliss.......it’s nothing more than a curse.   

 

3