Chapter 7: Brick
722 2 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

All was calm in golem village. Birds were chirping, flowers were blooming and little rocklings could be seen playing in the warm sun now and then. The older golems were either sleeping in their caves as usual, or busy with other low-energy consuming activities. All was calm.

 

Except for Brick.

 

Brick was the oldest and biggest golem of the entire village. There wasn’t a single golem in the area that didn’t know him, and even some elves had heard of him. With the ripe age of three hundred and fifty years came a certain respect from his fellow golems. When Brick was around, quarrels ceased, and if Brick was in a bad mood, the whole village hid in their caves in fear.

 

Today was such a day.

 

Brick had just woken up from a small three month nap. He lifted himself up, dirt falling off his giant head and torso, and brushed a dandelion off his oversized chin. The dandelion ran off, making irritated chirping noises, but Brick payed it no mind.

 

After slowly waking up from his slumber, he began searching his cave for food. He had saved some delicious turnips for this exact moment. Brick was quite posh for a golem, and he certainly knew how to enjoy things like breakfast properly. He placed his turnips on a large grey boulder acting as a table and made a nest of moss and dirt for himself to sit in.

 

All was set except for one thing. Brick got almost giddy thinking about it. Because there was nothing that could excite the golem more than his proudest treasure: his shiny green gem. Brick absolutely loved looking at his gem all day. The glimmering of the suface, the deep green colour, the soft pulsing light inside the gem, Brick just couldn’t get enough of looking at it in awe.

 

The golem removed the rock in the corner where he hid his precious treasure. All he saw was dirt. Brick paused and frowned. He dug around in the dirt, but there was no sign of the gem. Frustrated, the golem began searching his entire cave, even lifting the table to search for it. All he found was dirt, plants and a frightened mole.

 

 

---

 

 

The village was in utter chaos. All golems were awake now, confused by the mayhem around them. The ground was shaking, rocklings were running around and a few animals tried their best to prevent themselves from getting trampled. And amidst all the chaos, a three meters tall golem was seen rampaging everything around him.

 

Houses were searched, golems were pushed aside or questioned and animals were sent flying, but Brick’s gem was nowhere to be found. He searched the entire village with no success. Where was it? Brick had a long thought, ignoring the complete chaos around him. He remembered a villge not far from here, where some fleshlings with pointy ears lived. They must have taken it while he was asleep, Brick conluded.

 

 

---

 

 

Brick heard voices not too far away from him. He listened carefully, but couldn’t understand any of it. At some point in time, he had learnt a little of the speech of the fleshlings, but that was quite a few years ago, maybe two hundred or so. He could comprehend a few loose words, but that was all.

 

He planned to walk further, until he heard one of the voices say the word ‘treasure’. Brick stopped. He knew that word. Treasure meant… yellow disks… and pointy things… and colourful rocks. Brick immediately began walking towards the voices. He noticed that both of them were silent.

 

Brick looked up and saw two fleshlings in a tree. One of them yelled something, and Brick didn’t hestitate any further. He slammed his giant fist into the tree, making it shake hard enough for the two fleshlings to fall out. Brick loomed over the two fallen children.

 

“R…ack,” he said with effort. It had been a while since he had spoken.

 

There came no reaction from the two fleshlings.

 

“G…rowy…rack,” The golem tried again. Golems were clearly not made for talking and more for smashing.

 

The fleshling with the loud voice said something, but Brick couldn’t understand any of it. His patience was running low.

 

“Gr…owy…r…rack!” He lost his temper and smashed the ground with his fist. His hit wasn’t meant to kill, but the the two fleshlings were sent flying. Brick pursued the child with the loud voice, but the fleshling was quick. It ducked, rolled and used the trees to his advantage. No matter how hard Brick tried, he couldn’t grab it.

 

So Brick went for the other fleshling instead. This one was slower and tripped, so Brick reached out for her, but his hand stopped moving. He turned around confusedly and saw that his arm was caught in thick vines. The vines were coming from yet another fleshling that had joined the battle unnoticed by the golem.

 

Brick was immediately on high alert. The woman’s eyes were glowing green, sending a shiver down Brick’s body. He knew that it was a being of nature, just like him, but it controlled the plants. If Brick wanted to win in a fight against it, he had to act quickly.

 

He stormed at the scary fleshling as fast as he could. Roots burst out of the ground and slowed him down, but Brick broke through them with sheer force. Just five more metres until he reached it. More roots entangled his legs. Four more metres. His armes were covered in vines as well. Three metres. A drop of sweat fell from the fleshling’s forehead. Two metres. Brick streched his arm to grab the woman, when suddenly he felt something light bounce off his head.

 

He stopped.

 

The slower fleshling had thrown something at him, and was now staring with scared eyes at the angry golem. Brick looked at the object on the ground, ignoring the vines that were still growing on his huge body. Before him layed a tiny nut.

 

Brick’s jaw fell open in amazement. The nut was… beautiful. From the outside it looked like a regular old chestnut, but Brick could feel the beauty that was resting inside the hard layer. He couldn’t describe it, but he knew not even ten glowy rocks could compare to this treasure.

 

Brick picked the nut off the ground, snapping the vines that had stopped growing. Without any further commotion he went home, content with his new treasure, leaving the extremely confused elves behind without giving them a second look.

17