1.12
1.2k 0 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"It is a good thing that you were able to arrive, Consort Yu. Please, take a seat." Though Mei Lin said this with a calm tone, her eyes were glaring immensely at Yu Zhuang.

Yu Zhuang didn't even bother about Mei Lin and headed straight for his seat. He was held up because one of the maids had broken his favorite bracelet that was given to him from his father, the Emperor. The bracelet was made from a crimson red jade that was rare and priceless yet it was broken from a mere maid, of course his anger was lit. The maid had been slow at her job and also too clumsy, breaking many strands of his hair. He was already angered from the night before and something like this just gave him a reason to vent off his anger.

"Consort Yu, it is a great thing that you were able to arrive. How was your first night as a consort in this palace?" A beautiful lady asked, sitting next to Yu Zhuang. Her name was Consort Ran, Ran HuaXian, daughter of the Right Prime Minister. Though her features were beautiful, she had a seductive aura coming from her. 

Bai Mengxiang almost smiled. Because Xu Yongheng had visited him last night, rumors had already flown around that Xu Yongheng did not like Yu Zhuang and chose to spend his night with Bai Mengxiang. Asking that question now, it was to purposely rub it into Yu Zhuang's face and make him angry. After all, he was rejected by Xu Yongheng.

Consort Ran was the person who always made many people get angry, she loved to ripped them into pieces with her schemes and did not care if other people were stronger than her. Although, she didn't go for Bai Mengxiang nor Mei Lin because she knew that they were too powerful, so now that she saw Yu Zhuang, she immediately went for him.

Consort Ran smirked, a fan in her hand as she covered her smirk so that only her eyes filled with ridicule were seen.

Yu Zhuang controlled his anger because he knew that this person, who he assumed was Consort Ran, was purposely trying to get him angry. Though it was working, he couldn't show it or else she would've won this battle.

"It was well spent, Consort Ran." Yu Zhuang replied, hiding his anger as he took a sip from his cup of tea, his eyes blazing a bit but still staying in control.

"Is that so, Consort Yu? I had thought that by the rumors spreading around, you must have had a night that wasn't all so great. After all, as consorts in this palace, we are all siblings, of course we only want the best for each other," Though her words were meant to be reassuring, it was impossible to hide Consort Ran's hidden meaning behind it.

Just as Yu Zhuang was about to reply, a maid entered.

She walked up towards the Mei Lin and knelt down.

"Long live Her Majesty, the Empress, may you live ten thousand years." 

"What matter do you have with me?" Mei Lin replied, her eyes saving the maid.

"Consort Shi sends his regrets that he will not be able to arrive as he is not feeling well and is currently resting in bed." The maid knelt down, but her voice did not shake nor was she afraid in the face of higher ranking people.

Mei Lin gritted her teeth without anyone noticing. Well, except Bai Mengxiang. Mei Lin knew that Shilian was only using this as an excuse and the real actions he intended was to disrespect her as the Empress. What Shilian was doing was to say that he didn't care if Mei Lin was the Empress, and he would never care. But being the Empress, she could only nod her head. She didn't care for the Xu Yongheng's favor but what she hated most was being disrespected.

"Please, send my condolences for him. Qing, make sure the kitchen makes a bowl of red ginseng to give to Consort Shi." Mei Lin told one of her maids, as the maid immediately set off to complete the task.

Shilian's maid had gotten up and was turning to leave when Consort Ran spoke up.

"Consort Shi is really unwell? On the day where all of us were suppose to come and gather and meet the new consort, he suddenly gets unwell. Even Imperial Noble Consort Bai, who is currently pregnant, is out with us in such hot weather. Tell me, is Consort Shi really unwell or is he just unwilling to show his face to people like us? Is he trying to disrespect the Empress?" Consort Ran's words were fatal and most of all, filled with daggers ready to be launched. She had no intention of hiding what her words meant, and anyone could understand what she was implying.

Shilian's maid immediately prostrated herself onto the ground with Consort Ran's words.

"Consort Ran, Consort Shi is truly unwell, else he would've come at once. Consort Shi stated that it is the greatest shame that he wouldn't be able to come." Though the maid knelt on the ground, her words were solid and fluid, as if she was use to be questioned and had steeled herself to lying for so long.

With those words, Consort Ran finally stopped her attacks.

"Huh, I see then," Consort Ran placed down her fan, her bewitching smile as bright as ever. "Well then, I can only hope that he gets well soon. After all, the palace can not be a rowdy place for people to run around and do whatever they want to just because they feel like it. Of course, I don't mean to imply anything."

Bai Mengxiang almost wanted to laugh. Right, she didn't mean anything by her words. But then again, this was the palace. Experiencing it by firsthand really taught him many things that he wouldn't have known before, but to him, a sense of enjoyment also rose. The palace was almost like a game where anyone can get deleted from it if they aren't careful, and what was more exciting was that you couldn't pause nor restart it. 

Maybe it was just him but to him, it really was a joy to watch everyone try to gain one person's favor by stepping on other people. Bai Mengxiang was never worried about silly games like this, having experience them many times in his own world. He just wondered, how much more exciting would it be if something happened to him? Just who would be blamed, who would be panicked, and who would really care? But don't worry, he wasn't going to start anything yet, it wasn't the time too.

Just then, he frozed.

You know what? 

He took back his words.

Bai Mengxiang turned pale, holding onto his head as he tried to focus his vision. His breath coming out heavy and sweat pooled on his forehead, he slightly hunched over.

Xiao Lan, noticing his actions immensely became worried. 

"Imperial Noble Consort, are you alright?" Xiao Lan's words were said in a hurry as she walked towards Bai Mengxiang, taking quick steps, her eyes filled with worry.

Mei Lin noticed things right away and turned her focus onto Bai Mengxiang.

"Imperial Noble Consort Bai, you must be feeling unwell. The weather is hot, the sun is bright, it will not be good for you or your child. You are excused to leave, so please do not worry." Mei Lin could notice easily that something was wrong, but even as the Empress, she could not do anything that seemed suspicious.

"Thank you, Your Majesty, Imperial Noble Consort is feeling unwell, so he will be leaving first," Because Bai Mengxiang was unable to focus, Xiao Lan could only quickly say these words as she grabbed onto Bai Mengxiang and helped him stand.

"Imperial Noble Consort, please be careful. Once we get back, I will immediately call for the Imperial Physician," Xiao Lan felt Bai Mengxiang nod as he got up too, walking with Xiao Lan's help.

The discussion with Shilian's maid and Consort Ran were immediately forgotten as everyone focuses on Bai Mengxiang, some with worry, some with joy as they saw him in such a state.

Just as Bai Mengxiang was walking, who knew who noticed first but they immediately knelt down.

"Long live His Majesty, the Emperor, may you live ten thousand years."

From the distance, Xu Yongheng walked towards them, a crowd of maids and eunuchs following behind him as his entourage. His face was cold, but as he saw Bai Mengxiang, worry clouded his eyes.

"Mengxiang, are you alright?" Just as Xu Yongheng reached for Bai Mengxiang.

"Your-" Bai Mengxiang stopped, his eyes wide opened as he suddenly convulsed, coughing as red blood exited his mouth, dripping onto the ground. With wide eyes, Bai Mengxiang stared at Xu Yongheng as his body collapsed.

Xu Yongheng grabbed him faster than one could think and held him into his chest, noticing that Bai Mengxiang's lips had turned pale, blood dripping and his body was turning cold, even in the extreme heat.

"Someone, call for the Imperial Physician!" 

Bai Mengxiang laid on the bed, controlling his emotions as he tried not to laugh. His plans weren't suppose to happen so fast, but who would've known that someone would really try to poison him so soon. He didn't worry, after all, he had requested for the system to make sure nothing happens to his child. All he was waiting for now was for the play to really start, after all, it was going to be even more fun starting from here on forwards.

"What do you mean someone poisoned him?!" Xu Yongheng's voice was loud and clear, anger flaring from within his words, the aura emitting from him was filled with coldness to the very brim.

"Your Majesty, the Imperial Noble Consort had really been poisoned. The silver needle had turned black the second it made contact with his blood, this I can tell you for sure. I have been a Physician for so long, I can not make such a mistake." An elderly voice answered, shaking his head as he checked Bai Mengxiang's pulse carefully.

"Who, who would dare do this after We had warned everyone not to make a move against Our person?!"

25