1.16
1.2k 2 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

For the two weeks that Bai Mengxiang spent recovering, it was spent making sure that Yu Zhuang and Shilian weren't cooperating correctly. Instead, there would always be an obstacle in their plans, and the one about taking Xiao Lan? That one, Bai Mengxiang made sure to destroy right away. 

Xiao Lan now stood by his side at all times, taking care of him and attending to his every need. As the time came sooner for Bai Mengxiang to give birth, he was finalizing his last scheme. 

It was going to be the big one, the one that would take down both Yu Zhuang and Shilian. 

"Imperial Noble Consort?" Xiao Lan asked as she realized that Bai Mengxiang looked a bit dazed.

"Ah, yes, Xiao Lan?" Bai Mengxiang said, turning to look at Xiao Lan, his face a bit clueless.

Xiao Lan couldn't help but smile, "Imperial Noble Consort, His Majesty will be coming to meet you soon. Since today is His Majesty birthday, there will be a Royal Banquet and the palace will be a bit loud. If you don't feel well, I'll make sure to tell His Majesty. I'm sure that you won't have to go if you aren't feeling fine." 

To that, Bai Mengxiang only shook his head, a gentle look upon his face. But deep inside, he was smirking. "It is alright, Xiao Lan. Today is His Majesty's birthday, of course I have to attend. It's just....." Bai Mengxiang looked at his stomach, his hands rubbing it with a fond smile.

Xiao Lan understood what Bai Mengxiang meant right away. A foolish expression came upon her face. 

Bai Mengxiang hadn't been walking much but whenever he did, it was with a little difficulty. Almost nearing nine months, his stomach was now much bigger. That meant that he also had much more trouble walking around and bending. Although, when Xu Yongheng came to visit him, he would carry Bai Mengxiang around, especially if he wanted to get some fresh air.

"Imperial Noble Consort, don't worry. I'll definitely help you to the best I can. I'm sure that His Majesty will do so too." Xiao Lan hid her grin behind her hand, her eyes on Bai Mengxiang who also smiled back.

"Well, His Majesty only wants the best for me. Of course, after that incident, he must still be worried. After all, I too, am still afraid that something like that would happen once more. This child, I want this child to survive and live in this beautiful world too. Although the palace has gotten more dangerous, I will do anything it takes to protect my child." Bai Mengxiang shook his head as he said this, his hand stopping as his eyes then turned bright.

Xiao Lan bit her tongue, not knowing what to say. Xu Yongheng had told her specifically not to tell Bai Mengxiang about his condition yet, and Xiao Lan didn't know what to do. What she did know was that if she told Bai Mengxiang, it wasn't going to make anything better. Xiao Lam knew that it was such a selfish thing to do, but she only wanted Bai Mengxiang to stay happy. Because she didn't know how much time was left for her to spend with Bai Mengxiang, and she wanted him to always be happy.

"But, even though it may be hard, I also want the best for everyone. Xiao Lan, you aren't getting any younger, is there someone you fancy?" Bai Mengxiang turned the attention back to Xiao Lan, who turned red at the question.

"Imperial Noble Consort, I-" Xiao Lan's ears had already turned a bright red as she tried to word her answer.

Seeing this, Bai Mengxiang let out a soft chuckle, his whole face lighting up. "From your reaction, there must be someone you fancy, right, Xiao Lan?"

Xiao Lan knew that she couldn't hide it, so instead, she meekly replied. "Imperial Noble Consort, there is a palace guard that I have met a few times. He and I have only met a few times so there hasn't been enough signs showing that he likes me too."

"I see. That's good, Xiao Lan, you are someone who is loyal and hardworking, almost too hardworking. Knowing that there is someone you fancy is great for me. After all, you have been by my side for so long, it is time for you to find your happiness too." Bai Mengxiang took out a small box, covered in this lines of gold.

"Here, take this, Xiao Lan." Bai Mengxiang said as he pushed it into Xiao Lan's hands.

Xiao Lan opened up the beautiful yet delicate box, her eyes widening as she saw what was in it.

"Imperial Noble Consort, I can't take this." Xiao Lan was beyond surprised, because in that box was three pieces of jewelry. A bracelet, a necklace, and a pair of earrings that were all made from the rarest of jade, and the finest of craftsmanship. These jewelry's were enough to make even the richest person look at it with jealous eyes.

"Take it, I won't take it back. This is my gift to you for everything that you have done for me, Xiao Lan." Bai Mengxiang said, but he had also hinted something within his words. These were the original Bai Mengxiang's feelings and his own.  

"Thank you, Imperial Noble Consort, I will always remember what you have done for me. I will follow you no matter what, and I will never betray you for as long as I live." Xiao Lan's eyes were red, biting her lips to hold back her cries, she held onto the box tightly as she got onto her knees.

 

"Did you finish the last action?" Yu Zhuang asked, looking out from the corner of his eyes to stare at Shilian.

"Yes, the poison this time should kill both the bearer and the child. If not, Bai Mengxiang will still die either way. Being poisoned twice, he certainly can't escape death once again. Even if the child doesn't die, as long as Bai Mengxiang does, that would be enough. Consort Yu, what else do you have planned?" Shilian said, his eyes, though, were looking at Yu Zhuang with wary. He suspected that Yu Zhuang would definitely try to get rid of him too after Bai Mengxiang was gone. After all, Yu Zhuang had such high ambitions.

"Then we will do it at the Royal Banquet. There will be more people there and it would be hard to suspect that it was us who had poisoned Bai Mengxiang. But, Consort Shi, I do hope that you know that after this, we will become rivals too. At that time, I will forget all our past connections and I will do anything to get rid of you too." Yu Zhuang, though seemed careless, he had gotten much stronger after living in the palace for a while. Of course he knew that he had to get rid of Shilian if he wanted a smoother life.

Shilian hid his evil glint, and only smiled back, "Of course, Consort Yu. But do remember, I too, will give no leeway to you. You should already know just how much goes into my plans, and how evil I can truly be. Consort Yu, the moment you strike me, please be careful. After all, I might just get rid of you before you even suspect me."

Yu Zhuang grunted, fully aware about just how cruel Shilian could be. But in fact, he was sure that Shilian was much more entertaining for that purpose. In the palace, even the most innocent and pure flower could turn black. The only reason why one wouldn't is because they are already treasured. But Yu Zhuang hadn't even known what Shilian meant when he said his words. 

Noticing that Yu Zhuang didn't seem to get what he had meant, Shilian's lips curved into a sneer. Shilian had already knew just how much Yu Zhuang hated him and that Yu Zhuang was only tolerating him because he also wanted to get rid of Bai Mengxiang. Shilian knew that Yu Zhuang had tried so many times to betray him but had always failed. The first time it happened, Shilian was surprised at first but the surprise turned into amusement. He was surprised that a pampered prince like Yu Zhuang could also know how to scheme and most of all, how to betray their partner. 

"Consort Yu, if this is all, then I will have to leave. Today is His Majesty's birthday, it will be a major event. Make sure to dress accordingly to your status." Though Shilian's words seemed caring, they were also jabbing at Yu Zhuang.

Yu Zhuang, though, didn't notice and only looked at Shilian before turning his head.

As Shilian stepped out, he paused. Then, as he noticed a maid that usually followed Yu Zhuang, he called her over.

"Long live Consort Shi, may you live ten thousand years." The maid was not outrageously beautiful but could be considered above average.

"You follow Consort Yu, am I right?" Shilian asked in an arrogant tone.

"Yes, Consort Shi."

"Great, then I have a task for you to do. If you complete it, I will give you my hairpin." 

With Shilian's words, the maid turned her head up to look at Shilian's hairpin. Immediately, she nodded her head, greed within her eyes.

"Alright, then listen...."

 

 

 

"Xiao Lan, tonight will be a long night." Bai Mengxiang turned his head away from Xiao Lan, the gentle look on his face disappearing as a cruel expression made its way. Tonight was going to be a long yet joyful night. 

Tonight was the night where everything was going to happen.

It was also the night where Bai Mengxiang would complete his mission too. 

He just wondered.

How many hearts were going to be broken tonight?

23