Chapter 23: A Glimpse of Prosperity
2.4k 4 64
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It appeared that they were lucky, after the first week of migration there was a temporary lull in new arrivals. Braydon did not know if that was because the fighting had moved further from the border or those close to the border that could come already had. In a sense he was lucky that Western Shuluk was about as populated as his fief had been. If there had been many people living in western Shuluk his situation would be even more precarious than it already was.

Temporarily the fief was as secure as it could be. That was likely because many of the vagrants were waiting to see if he upheld his promise about working in the mines. If they could settle down and earn a living then they were willing to do so. Or at least that is what the lack of trouble suggested. And today was the day that the mine was finished. Now they needed to find out how many people wanted to take up his offer of work. Rhydian had estimated there were over 100 men among the vagrants, about ⅓ of the total, the rest being women and children. It was easier for them to move than the elderly, so they made up the vast majority of vagrants.

Braydon was in his office with Colin and Rhydian, waiting for the report on how many people had taken up his offer. Corban was the man on the ground, overseeing the whole operation. The mine was a sensitive subject and it was guarded accordingly. It had the most soldiers after the garrison at the castle, as well as being the campgrounds for the new additions to Braydon’s fledgling army. Corban came into the study, exhausted. He had evidently had a long day, which conversely made the other three hopeful for a good result.

“So how was it?” Colin broke the silence once Corban sat down and rested for a few minutes.

“Other than being roped in to do most of the writing, it went pretty well. I suggest hiring a full time clerk, nobody here really has the time to be writing full time.” Colin suggested. It was not that the new recruits could not write, it was just that they were so bad at it that to get anything done he had to take over.

“Good idea, I will look into that. Now how many miners do we have?”

“We got just over 60. Not at full capacity but enough that there should not be many problems in running the mine.” 

“And enough to show that the vagrants are more than happy to settle down if given the opportunity. Good work, go take a rest. You look like you need it.” Braydon was definitely pleased with this outcome. Whilst not all of the men had taken up the job, he had never expected them to. If they were going to live permanently in Cliforge, there would need to be more farmers than they currently had. 

“What are the plans now, Sire?” Colin asked, they knew full well that this was only a temporary fix. If they could not set up proper villages or expand existing ones, they would still be in the same fundamental position, sitting on top of a powder keg. That was not something that would last for long before it goes horribly wrong. 

“I will be taking another trip to Wathamalin. We basically need to hire every carpenter in the guild if we want to get this sorted quickly. I will also take the chance to head to the capital. Since I inherited my land I have not gone to pledge my allegiance to the crown.” Braydon decided, for such a large transaction he would need to go in person to the carpenter’s guild in Wathamalin. It was one of the few guilds that was actually headquartered outside of the capital, unlike the others who just had a branch in the city.

“That will mean that Lady Nela will not be able to go with you, the capital is not a safe place for her. We do not want Earl Blake to be making a move on you while you are there.” Colin said. Braydon did not like the idea of having to negotiate with the carpenters without her skill, but it would have to be done. He could not take the risk of losing such an important advisor and friend.

“Indeed, I shall just be taking Gerald and Steven with me for this trip. It should probably take a week to return if nothing unexpected happens. Whilst I am away, I will leave Rhydian and Nela in charge. I don’t expect there to be something those two cannot handle.”


Braydon and Gerald came up to the gates of Boshil in his carriage with their entourage behind them on horseback. For a kingdom so divided the grandeur of the capital felt quite out of place. The huge walls were a testament to the power the royals once held. It was also clear that this was the last truly prosperous place in Fiveria. Only here could you see people lining up to enter at the gates at all hours of the day, something the other cities could not boast. Only here could you find large marketplaces and merchants on every corner. Only here could you get a sense of what Fiveria had been only two generations past. 

“It really is a stunning city.” Braydon could not help but remark as they made it through the city gates, the sprawling city before them. The street ahead led into the central market with merchants lining up at the sides, and thriving neighbourhoods down every side street. Of course, like every city it had its dark side, but those were tucked away in dark corners where only the poor and the criminals congregate. A certain one of which he had gained the permanent fixture on his left cheek.

“From the stories, even this is nothing compared to what it was a century ago.” Gerald replied. It couldn’t not have degraded since then. The rest of the kingdom was in shambles, the corpse being fought over by several power hungry factions of nobles.

“That is a sight I wish I had been able to see. Not that it looks like it will return any time soon.” Braydon could not help but sigh when thinking of the state of the kingdom. ‘Not that I really have the right to be thinking about the rest of the kingdom when my land is such a mess.’

“Well, let's get going to the palace, I sent a messenger ahead of us so the King should be waiting. We would not like to keep him as such.” With that Braydon ordered the carriage driver to go as fast as driving in a packed street would allow. He had been forced to use a carriage again, instead of a horse. Going to meet the King required all the traditions and decorum of the nobility to be upheld.

Even if they were going as fast as they could, at midday in the capital, ‘as fast as they could’ still took an hour before they reached the palace. It was a structure that could be seen from all over the city, a holdover from it once being a citadel before the city had been founded along with the kingdom. Though that had been so long ago that it no longer resembled the defensive structure it once was. The carriage came to a stop before the gates to the courtyard of the palace.

“Halt! State your business at the palace.” The guards took their job with the utmost seriousness. If they didn’t, somebody would have likely tried to kill the king by now.

“Viscount Braydon Fiton of Cliforge has arrived to meet with His Majesty, King Aled Fiver.” Braydon could hear Steven outside of the carriage responding to the guard. As his bodyguard and a knight Gerald had to be inside the carriage with him for this. At least Gerald had to suffer the carriage with him. They both preferred horses.

64