Chapter 209: His Days Planned Out
768 2 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Other than making Gerald cry, how did meeting the village elders go?” Braydon’s chamberlain asked him. He had intended to speak to Colin about it the day before but he and Nela drank a bit too much for him to think about that. Or at least that’s what he told himself as he went to sleep the night before; when he thought about it.

“It went quite well. At least they seem amicable for the mean time and did not report anything that they could not deal with themselves. Elder Wilf is on board about the wall idea. Though he might need a bit more persuading if we want to develop Midbury further in future.” Braydon would be more surprised if people who had fled war were able to come up with something to complain about after he built them houses and gave them jobs. At least not for a good while yet.

“Then that is good. What about names for the three unnamed villages? It need not be you but somebody must inform the crown about the village names. To put them on the map both figuratively and literally.” Colin was rather curious about this since Braydon had said that he would let the village elders propose names. An interesting way to name the villages, though he half expected them to name it after themselves or their family members. Perhaps after Braydon if they were feeling in the mood to kiss up to him.

“One was as expected, one was unoriginal and the other went for some kind of theme? I guess? At least I think that was what the elder was going for.” Braydon had to sigh when he thought about the names that had been proposed. Not that he could complain about unoriginality when he named his southernmost village ‘Sutherford’.

“You have my undivided attention.” The chamberlain could tell that Braydon was trying to keep him in suspense, if just for a few seconds, and decided to play along.

“The one that was as expected was Dudley.” Braydon didn’t need to tell Colin why it was as expected. This was the name of the northern village that had been there since before Braydon inherited the land and that meant that Colin had spoken to the elder there more than a couple times over the years.

“He…named it after his son?” 

“Exactly on the money. Of the new villages, one elder decided to call his village Newbury. A bit on the nose if you ask me. The final elder decided to name his village Herforge.” It didn’t take long for Colin to figure out why Braydon thought that one of the elders was going for a theme. Calling the newest village in Cliforge, Herforge and all.

“Not that it matters much. They are extremely close to the newly expanded Midbury. Even assuming no new migrants, give it a decade or so and they will likely merge.” Colin was not wrong there. Even without Braydon’s plans to redesign Midbury in future, the two newer villages would likely become a part of Midbury sooner or later. Most of the people who could run were young and healthy. Now they had a new life and new houses. They could expect a lot of new children in the coming year.

“Is that what Father Odom has been doing to keep himself busy?” Braydon joked but it was likely true. Whilst a school may take a while to build, a small chapel was much easier. And if it were only a chapel it would not need a bishop’s sign off. Hence when Father Odom was not working with Nela on planning future lessons for the school they were building, he was staying in his chapel in Midbury. It had not been inside the village when they had built it but just outside. Then the refugees happened.

“I cannot deny that I have heard of a few close calls with illegitimacy.” That was a polite way of saying the girl got pregnant and then they suddenly got engaged. 

“And I thought it was the nobility that did that kind of thing.” Braydon shook his head.

“With all due respect, the difference is that a number of your noble peers see fit to do that sort of thing with their cousins.” When Colin said that, Braydon almost could not stop himself from laughing. It was not often that Colin made jokes but when he did they were often astute observations.

“And a number of them would do the same with their sisters if they could get away with it. But enough about Earl Blake, it is not nice to speak ill of the dead. I am hoping to make a trip to Narabun in the near future. Hence the letter I was writing before you came in. It would be good to have some more in depth discussions than the under the table ones that happened last time.” Braydon changed the topic after bringing up an old rumour that he was inclined to believe. It was said that Jett Blake was rather the product of Earl Blake and his sister than him and his wife. Given how much of a nasty piece of work Jett turned out to be, Braydon would not have been surprised if it were true.

“How soon is this ‘near future’?” Colin asked since it would likely be him doing the legwork to get Braydon a ship prepared for his departure.

“I intend to send this letter off today. Then look at the state of Mapjess tomorrow. Talk to Rhydian and Roan about my men the day after. Have a rest the next day. So probably in four days' time.” Braydon gave it a little bit of thought. Since he would be going off to Narabun and would likely be staying for longer than he did the last time, he wanted to get the most important things done before he left.

“Then I shall have a ship prepared for when you arrive in Milmond.” Colin’s words made certain that Braydon would actually be leaving in four days lest he get an earful of complaints about giving the old man unnecessary work. Since he didn’t have access to the Harmony from his own territory and that it had been one propelled by slaves, Braydon had sold the ship he had requisitioned from the pirates. 

“Then I shall leave you to finish your letter.” Colin said as he made a bow before retreating from Braydon’s study. 

“We need to update that map.” Braydon sighed as he looked at the tapestry That hung on his wall. It showed Cliforge in the state that he had found it, but his lands now included Kirton and a number more villages.

Hi Hi. 

Come join me and others on my discord server and have fun chatting together! You can come and talk to me about my thoughts on the novel or point out any mistakes I made in my chapters. Or if that doesn't suit your taste then just talk about whatever random stuff is on your mind.

And if you are willing and able, you could always show me some love by contributing to my snack fund over on Kofi. =P

                                                                                                   |Discord|

14