Chapter 212: A Small Surprise
574 2 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“The gardens may be on fire but the house still looks fine.” Braydon chuckled to himself as he and Gerald stepped down the gangplank. If one were unaware of the civil war in Shuluk and based their assessment of the country based on the view from the docks of Narabun, they would think it was a greatly thriving and prosperous nation. Though, it was almost certain that the numerous ships and bustling dockside were a direct result of merchants trying to take advantage of the war.

“I am more surprised that we never ended up clashing with any pirates.” Gerald commented as they started making their way off of the pier the ship had been docked to. If Braydon didn’t know him better, he would have thought that Gerald was almost disappointed. Rather he knew it for a fact that Gerald was disappointed.

“Indeed, if I were to guess at least a third of the ships in the docks look like they escaped a nastier fate. It is not like the pirates did not know where we were. There were several reports from the lookout that we were being tailed.” Braydon was honestly quite amazed that a lone ship had not been jumped on immediately.

“If yer wonderin’, milord, ‘tis likely that they avoided you because you were alone. More trouble than it’s worth for someone so confident.” A surprise voice joined in their musings as they slowly made their way down the busy pier.

“And to what do I owe the thanks, good sir?” Braydon looked to the side to see either a sailor or dock worker noting something down about a ship’s cargo. This person was clearly a little more used to speaking to lords than the dock worker he had met when he first came to Narabun. That or like most sailors, he did not seem to care about status as much as he probably should.

“Just happened ta hear your discussing. Pirates tend ta leave lone ships to pass through, seems they are usually armed enough ta be not worth trying ta pilfer. They’d rather go for several ships that are not as well armed, see. With their ‘oh so mysterious backers’ they have enough ships to do that anyway.” The man said, pausing whatever he was writing to look at Braydon as he spoke. 

“That is good to know, I guess. Though I am sure that they would catch on if everybody tried that.” Braydon was sure that there was at least somebody that had tried it though.

“Eye, some hotshot merchant thought he was smart, sendin’ his fleet of vessels one by one ta fool the pirates inta leavin’ his cargo alone. I hear he lost the lot.” The man chortled to himself as he recalled the story. Apparently something about a merchant getting shafted by pirates was funny to him.

“Then I will leave you to your work, I do have places to be as well.” Braydon was in the city to meet with the Duchess Regent after all. Since he had sent word of his coming in advance, she would be expecting to see him, no doubt having gotten word of his arrival already.

“Would think so for a Fiverian lord to come to Nara bun in the open.” The man commented more to himself than to Braydon as he got back to work.

“Are you not going to question him on that?” Gerald asked as they carried on.

“What? About him figuring out that we are Fiverian after speaking with us? Just call the man perceptive and leave him alone. It is not like we are here illegally, regardless of whatever assumptions he made.” Braydon might have cared more had it been his previous visit to the city. But the two were different cases. He was in Narabun with a proper reason and being the one lord in Fiveria who had a real reason to be travelling to Shuluk regardless. 

“I guess.” Gerald quieted down.

“Oh look a carriage has come to collect us. Seems that I am at least still held in high regard.” He noted as they finally made their way off of the pier and onto the main dock. It was not hard to spot a royally clad carriage amidst the usual hubbub that was merchants and dockhands going about their business.

“Earl Fiton?” And right on cue, one of the guards standing by the carriage noticed the pair and approached them before bowing his head in greeting.

“Her Grace sent a carriage for me I presume?” Braydon nodded to the question and asked the obvious.

“This way, please.” The guard immediately asked them to follow him to the carriage upon getting confirmation that Braydon was indeed who he was looking for.

“Certainly a much fancier carriage than last time. Though I guess that is due considering I am here in the open.” Braydon commented to himself as he stepped onto the carriage and pushed aside the curtain covering the entrance even after the door was opened.

“I hope you do not mind the company on the way to the palace?” As soon as Braydon was inside, he noticed two things. One, he was not alone. And two, the other person was Alima Shuluk.

“Your Grace? I do not think that I warrant a personal reception on the docks.” He was glad that he had at least learnt to school his expression properly over the past year because when he heard her voice and looked at the not so empty carriage, he almost suffered from heart failure.

“Maybe. But here we are.” It seemed like that was all of the explanation that she was going to give for her presence.

“Would it suit yourself to speak of our purpose in meeting now? Or would Your Grace prefer to wait until we have reached the palace?” Braydon wanted to be careful talking to the Duchess Regent since there was a lot for him to gain if things went perfectly. But that meant there was potential to miss out on just as much.

“As much as I enjoy casual conversation, I do not have that much free time.” That was a definite answer if ever he heard one. Down to business it was.

Hi Hi. 

Come join me and others on my discord server and have fun chatting together! You can come and talk to me about my thoughts on the novel or point out any mistakes I made in my chapters. Or if that doesn't suit your taste then just talk about whatever random stuff is on your mind.

And if you are willing and able, you could always show me some love by contributing to my snack fund over on Kofi. =P

                                                                                                   |Discord|

14