Chapter 214: What If I Happened To ‘Lose’ Some
596 2 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“You should be hungry after travelling all this way.” Alima stated more than questioned as they walked through the halls of the palace. Since leaving the carriage, their talks had been put on hold as they made their way inside. In fact, not a word had been spoken between them until her previous statement.

“I suppose that a meal would not hurt.” Braydon could tell that she wanted to carry on their talk during or after eating.

“Perfect, it should be ready by now.” Despite saying that, she had not changed direction. He could only assume that she had been leading him to where they would be dining from the start. And like Braydon had guessed, it did not take long for them to arrive. But that left Braydon with one question.

“Forgive me for asking but you still spend your time in a side wing of the palace?” Whilst still far grander than anything that he owned, Braydon could tell that this was definitely not the place where the late Grand Duke would have dined, even in private. If he had to guess, this was her wing of the palace even when her husband had been alive.

“And where else would I spend my time?” The Regent responded. He could almost feel how politically loaded the situation was.

“When we last met, we spoke in the main study of the palace. It might be an assumption, but I would think that there is also one on the Duchess’s wing of the palace.” He could quite clearly remember having spoken with her in the old Grand Duke’s study and had naturally assumed that she had entirely moved to living in the main part of the palace.

“But of course I would. I am ruling in place of my son until he comes of age, where else would the affairs of state be carried out?” A reasonable answer for anybody who did not know the first thing about political manoeuvring. For those who did, that answer stank of politics. Braydon did not profess to be as adept at reading between the lines as Nela but he already knew one monarch fairly well, and when it came to politics he rarely spoke the unadulterated truth.

“How good are your servant’s ears?” He asked as they sat down to eat. It did not take more than a few seconds for the doors to the chamber to open once more and servants carrying their food came pouring in. It was clear that even though they were eating in a side wing, she still wanted to keep up the impression of a monarch meeting a foreign noble.

“Not superhuman.” Alima waited to respond until all of the food had been placed on the rather large table before them and she had waved the servants away. Only guards stood at the door now. Although she said that, it was clear that she did not want to speak her mind with anyone other than guards she trusted in the room.

“Your supporters still only back you as far as you are your son’s regent?” Braydon was honestly surprised by this. He knew that her faction was built around those who had stayed loyal even after the Grand Duke was assassinated and his son was still an infant but he would have thought that she would have some lords on side.

“Why do you think this war is still going on?” Alima asked him, and not rhetorically. He had not thought about that question, assuming like most that it was due to a stalemate. But she was obviously implying that it was not the case.

“I see. And the emperor is helping and hindering both sides?” No wonder this civil war was still going on when Fiveria’s started and ending during that time. Who was on which side was far more messy that it had been in Fiveria.

“Naturally. As long as he is not ready to make a move on my country, that man will do his damnedest to make sure it is in chaos.” Even through her regal posture and dispassionate face, Braydon could see that she held great hatred for Emperor Kailum. Whether that was down to the murder of the former Grand Duke or the annoyance that he was causing her with his interference he was not so sure.

“Then you would not be averse if I so happened to ‘lose’ some of my iron across the border and it happens to be found by the rebels?” Braydon asked her with a serious face but he was almost jumping for joy inside. He might have just found his way to getting a great deal.

“Only if you send word to me of how much was lost and about where you think it happened. I would want to know the location of the rebels and their supplies after all. At the fastest possible speed.” With an equally serious face, Alima replied. She would need to come up with counter measures if more iron than expected was to fall into ‘enemy’ hands. Even more so in a long drawn out civil war.

“Oh I am certain that I could find a way to get such letters to you in time. So fast, in fact, that they might land on your desk before the iron is found by the rebels. But I must answer to the King if I am to be questioned about such negligence. The iron supply in Fiveria is not as large as it is in Shuluk and he might want to know.” Braydon was more than happy to work with her but like all good deals, it came with a price.

“I would still pay you for that iron, even if it is lost. I am sure that your King would not complain so long as his tax revenue keeps flowing.” She was starting with a low offer.

“I am not so certain. After all, not being able to secure my own belongings would do great damage to my reputation.” And so the negotiating continued, the food almost completely forgotten.

Hi Hi. 

Come join me and others on my discord server and have fun chatting together! You can come and talk to me about my thoughts on the novel or point out any mistakes I made in my chapters. Or if that doesn't suit your taste then just talk about whatever random stuff is on your mind.

And if you are willing and able, you could always show me some love by contributing to my snack fund over on Kofi. =P

                                                                                                   |Discord|

16