Journal Entry 61- Homeward
221 4 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Day 61

I got back soon enough, and after debating what to do, I liked the temperate climate sure, but I didn't have any of my usual sources of meat, and I wouldn't be able to just leave the meat in a pile of snow, I would have to find a way to refrigerate it, or smoke it or something. Maybe make a giant pot to stew the massive beasts I had been fighting. But that would be unfeasible in the long run, and I wouldn't be able to store the stew much longer anyway. I also didn't have access to unlimited water like at the mountainside, but that was an easy enough fix since I could easily move, it wasn't like I was tied to this treehouse I had made, it would just take a day or two to repeat the setup.

I decided I was going to build a new treehouse and hut by the water, preferably as close as possible, maybe even in the place, I had already started, with the branches when I was waiting for the animals to leave. I decided on this, and also making this hut and house my smokehouse, it might be a bit far, but I wouldn't want any animals to smell me cooking them right next to the river, and I didn't mind napping above the delicious smell of cooking meats and such.

I clambered my way up the steps and collapsed into my bed, Lupe climbing out of my satchel and laying next to me. I scratched his head as I poured a glass of water and a bowl for him, already using up a quarter of the water I had stored. I sighed at this, confirming that even though it was doable, the mountainside was much more convenient when it came to water and food, even though I was probably gonna have to hunt down some more meat in a month, with two mouths the carcass of the bird beast was decreasing faster and faster, and I think Lupe had been getting into it as a midnight snack.

I chewed on a little bit of meat, my stockpile here already dwindling to a pitiful amount. I hadn't secured enough meat to not hunt for much longer. I laid back meditating and soon fell asleep.

I woke up to the calls of birds and such, and stretched, finding Lupe digging into the pack of meat, clearly hungry. I opened it all the way, and handed him a handful, before shoving a handful in my own mouth. I was pretty much out and decided that I would go back home today, to restock on food and also to check and make sure nothing got into my domicile. I scooped up Lupe into my bag and started heading out, sealing up the trapdoor from below, after leaving an empty satchel in there, fully cleaned and waiting, just so I had a spare there.

I cleaned up my downstairs, and sealed up those doors and hatches too, not wanting anything to get in my mostly empty hut, save the bowls, plates, cutlery, and cups. I stepped out into the warm forest, setting Lupe beside me, and telling him, “we're heading home, boy, you ready for the run?”

“Bark!” he responded enthusiastically to the emoticon above his head showing a closed eye smiling face. I pat his head and stretched my legs, and got in a sprinting position, Lupe got ready next to me, and with a “3, 2, 1... GO!” we launched ourselves forward, following my marks as we flew through the forest. We soon reached the overhang and continued on, the darkness slowly encroaching, before I lift my hand above my head and lit the way. Lupe was lagging behind a little, so I slowed down, and let him catch up, before going at his speed. We were making an impressive time honestly, that or we just couldn't tell time, but we reached the rubble up and decided to take a break there, eating the last of the food I had brought.

We relaxed for a bit, sitting down in a potentially super dangerous place, considering how many creatures come from down here, they must have a pretty big area of influence. It was strange really, we were miles from where I had set my trap. And the trap was even more miles from the river over here. Why where those pig things and cow-bear all the way over there, man, this world had some weird-ass flora and fauna, and I really hoped more friendly sentient life... holy shit, holy shit, holy shit! I ate a sentient creature, I just realized that holy fuck, I didn't realize that when I was taking the break, I just realized that, right now, while I'm writing this much later than that uneventful day. Fucking hell, I need to take a break, I'll write more tomorrow.

dont worry, I'll still be posting tomorrow, I just thought that was a great place to end on, a terrible realization for Lou. anyway, thank you, everyone, for reading this far, I started this on a whim to join the Adventum contest, and placed 23rd or 18th, regardless I couldn't have done it without everyone reading my story, so I want to say, Thank You, from the bottom of my heart. Like I said above, I'll still be writing the story, so for those who are looking forward to the adventures of Lou and Lupe, I'm still gonna be writing them. Thank you, again, and have a great day! 

9