Chapter 1: Return
101 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In a temple hidden within a cave situated in the Dark Forest a group of people dressed in black robe with a symbol of a sun being devoured by snake are praying to a giant monolith. This people did not stop in praying until the night turn into day.

“Head priest how long we still need to do this. Centuries have already passed and a lot of our brothers have already given up in awakening the Great One. We need to move on head priest, the Great One already died and the slumber did not help in his recovery”

“Blasphemy! No matter how long it takes, we lambs of his will never stop until the day of his awakening comes. If you are not my grandson I will have already ordered your death. Go now and do not come out of your room until you realize that the greatness of the one we serve is something cannot be measured by us mere mortals”

All of the robed people come out of the cave except for the head priest.

“Oh Great One I hope you wake soon my lord as your lamb’s faith are growing weak as time goes by”

Decades past….

The night for worship of the robed people past normally like any other day. The dawn came and the Head priest decided that it is enough for this day. The worshipers of the Great One stop not knowing that their head priest already decide on a major decision.

“My people listen to me. I have decided that this will be the last night of worship for our Church. I will now abolished and disband our Church”

All of the worshippers in the cave have all been shock by the sudden announcement they did not like what they just heard and said that the head priest should be hanged to death for blasphemy and be replaced by someone with a much more stable faith. But the head priest did not seem to falter in their retorts.

“Can’t you see what is happening to our Church a lot of our brothers and sisters already left us and live a better life, they left because they knew that the Great One will no longer return. The one we worship is long gone; he already died on the Gods Fall era. The thing called his slumber is nothing but a pretext to placate his worshipers. My grandfather cannot do this kind of decision because he still believes that the Great One will wake up from his slumber through our faith but I am not my grandfather. One of our brothers become a noble in one of our neighboring country he offered us to come and live in his domain and live a brand new life. I will step down from my position and those who are willing to have a brand new life should come with me.”

Almost all of the worshipers join the former head priest. Except for one family of father, mother and daughter nobody now remains to worship the Great One.

Decades past….

One old lady is swiping the monolith so thoroughly it become so void of any dust and dirt.

“My lord I do not know when you will wake up but if I die before you do I will say sorry in advanced as I cannot find anyone to replace me as this place is so desolate. But don’t you worry my lord I will serve you until the last of my breath”

Years past….

An old lady is leaning on the monolith now smudged by dirt and full of dust. The old lady compared in the past is now full of scars and scratches and now instead of being adorned by clean clothes what the old lady now wears is rag like cloth full holes and mud.

“My lord please forgive me for being gone for months but I cannot risk of going here and let those evil pursuers discover you my lord. I do not know who spread it but I think they are hunting me because they see me as the witch that brings the plague to their kingdom. I do not even know how I’ve been able to survive their pursuit my lord this long maybe it is due to your grace that I survive and come again in this sacred place. My lord I’m sorry I cannot serve you today but I promise tomorrow I will clean your monolith until it become spotless. I am just too tired today my lord.”

The old lady contently sleeps while under the monolith.

“See I told you, that witch is hiding something; if you did not follow my plan of letting her live longer then we will not be able to discover this place. Come now say it I wanna hear it.”

“I am greatly sorry for my shortsightedness oh great sage without your guidance then we will truly be lost. Happy now”

“A little bit lacking in emotion but I will take it since you are the captain”

“You’re just a little bit lucky”

A group of hunter is entering the cave equipped with swords and torches. They steadily walk until they reach its end. There is not much to see at the end of the cave except for the witch they are hunting leaning on a giant rock.

“Check if she survives that poison”

“This great sage will check it captain”

*Stab* *Stab*

The hunter repeatedly stabs the old lady but even with all of that stabbing the old lady did not even show any kind of reaction; the old lady just lay there with a face of someone enjoying their dream. However the hunter did not just stop in stabbing but also decapitated the old lady.

“She’s dead”

“You’re really a lunatic. Search the place.”

“Yes sir”

Eight hunters thoroughly search the cave but they did not find anything peculiar except for the stone in the middle filled with scribbles.

“That witch must be the one who carved all this scribble. Take the body we’re going to leave now and take our reward.”

“What about this place?”

“We’re going to report it for some additional reward”

When the hunters tried to take the body the torches the hunters are holding are suddenly been put out by an unknown force.

“Take defensive formation. The witch may have some tricks left.”

The hunters assemble in a formation where their backs are facing each other.

“LEAVE HER BE”

When they heard the voice that echo within the cave all of them cannot help but fall on the ground clutching their heads except for one.

“I am right I am right I am right”

“The Great One is really sleeping here”

“Captain told you I am not just lucky”

The remaining hunters are all surprise how come the supposedly weakest among them are the only one who can resist that authoritative and cold voice.

*Struck*

All of a sudden black tendrils come out of the ground and stab all of the hunters except for the one standing. He did not even falter on the sight of his companions dying.

“Oh Great One”

*Kneels*

“I am a descendant of Marquis Louis one of your former worshipper. My great grandfather turns away from your grace my lord and hides the fact he was once your worshipper but I found out about it from one of his subjects my lord. I tried finding more about you my lord but almost all of your former worshippers buried things about you. But I can help you Great One, I will win the fight and be the heir of my father and once I am the Marquis I can slowly make your name known to all.”

“YOU KILLED MY ZEALOT”

“I am not the one who poisoned him my lord he is one of the copses you just absorbed my lord”

Cracks suddenly appear on the monolith and on its crevices black sludge slowly seeps out.  It slowly approaches the hunters’ corpses on the ground and absorbs it. After it absorbs the hunters its shape slowly turns to a humanoid shape.

“All those years of slumber and all I recover are my consciousness and this fragile body.”

A skeleton draped in illusory cloak now stood on the wrecked monolith. A God of the old era now awakens from his slumber and returns to the land it once rules.

4