Chapter 9: S.I.A
184 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

”Mother, you do realize that most of the branch families would be thrilled that Theodore won't be Bonded and therefore be ineligible to enter the Citadel.” Family politics were a deadly game. Any advantage that could be gleaned would be immediately pounced upon by whoever found it first.

”I know that. Just as I understand what a thorn he would be if he did attend. But why do you care? You have more reasons than most to hate him.”

Lisa looked at her mother through long lashes. ”I don't know.” This was no excuse or a simple deflection. She truly didn't know why she cared so much for her brother. ”When we were younger he wasn't as bad.”

Surprised Lisey asked. ”Do you know what happened that changed him for the worse?”

Lisa shook her head. ”No. One day he was his usual arrogant semi-insufferable self and the next he turned into a complete unbearable asshole.”

”Well something must have happened.” She murmured, as she looked at her son. ”How old were you when he suddenly changed?”

Lisa closed her eyes and thought about it. ”I’m not sure,” she said, her eyes still closed. ”I think we were about ten or so.” 

Lisey sat back in her chair, never releasing her grip on her son's hand. She let her mind drift back until it reached the suggested time frame. When she did an image crossed her mind and her eyes suddenly became serious. 

Lisa saw the change on her mother's face and was about to ask about it when there was a sudden knock at the bedroom door.


*Ding!*

Suddenly a new window reminiscent of something he would have seen in any old school RPG appeared in front of Theodore.

*Cool. One question though, I can understand why most of my stats are so low, but why is my Intellect stat so high?*

*Because it represents a combination of both your intellect and the intellect of the worthless sap you're replacing.*

*Okay, that makes sense, but if that's the case then why aren't all of our stats combined?*

The lack of a response was deafening.

*Anyway, as you can see your current level and stat break down are crap. We and by we I mean you need to fix that. And before you start bitching I'll help you get started.*

He let the obvious provocation slide. *How?* He asked, intrigued by what he was hearing.

*This is where your new body comes into play. I won't get into specifics, but believe me when I say your new body is, well once you upgrade it, will be special.*

*What makes this body so special,* he asked, gesturing towards his body.

*That body will act as a reservoir for energies that your old world didn't have access to. Humans that can harness these energies are called Awakened.*

*Please tell me humans that can’t use these energies aren’t called Sleepers.* Theodore asked, only half-jokingly.

Once again the silence was deafening, painfully so. 

After he’d gotten his terrible attempts at comedy out of his system he was able to focus on this new line of thought. He once again saw the holes in what it told him. The word energies was broad enough to get across that there are various forms of power available without being specific enough to say what they are. Yeah, the presence definitely had Theodore’s undivided attention. 

The excitement he was starting to feel was immediately dampened when he felt a sharp spike of irritation come the connection he shared with the presence. 

*Be prepared. You’re going to have to fight an uphill battle to prove to your family that you aren’t still a disgusting waste of flesh. I told you a little bit about who that body once belonged to.*

*Yeah, you said he was the oldest male in a group of quadruplets.* He replied after some thought. Absently, he reminded himself that he should probably give his new mother a hug.

*Right. Considering what you’ll have to face I’ll tell you a bit more.*

*Thanks.* He said with genuine gratitude.

The presence proceeded to explain in excruciating detail just how much of a piece of certified crap his new body’s old owner used to be. If he’d ever been even remotely curious about where the body’s old soul was now, he wasn’t anymore. 

*So hmm, I get the feeling you didn't like this guy,* Theodore noted blandly, not really knowing what else to say. He definitely needed to tread lightly here.

*You have no idea. Anyway, Awakened are further subdivided into types, Alphas, and Betas.*

*Which one will I be?*

*I don't know. You won't find out until you wake up.*

Theodore still had more questions but he had a feeling that his time in the featureless void was coming to an end. 

*Your time here is almost up so we need to cut this short.*

*Ding!*

His fingers twitched when he saw the amount of money offered. He had no true recollection of his past but he was sure he’d never possessed that much cash before. Before his innate greed made him do something he'd regret later he tapped the box next to the x10 Level Boost.

*Ding!* 

*Notice anything different?*

He looked up at the windows and saw the differences immediately. *Yeah, ten levels and fifty plus points will definitely come in handy.*

*Don’t waste this opportunity. Oh, and I'd advise you to hurry up and spend those points quickly. Your body has almost finished healing. When it does you’ll wake up. You’ll want access to more power than it currently has before that happens.*  

*How much time do I have left?* No answer. Theodore stretched his senses, but he couldn't feel the hidden presence anymore. ”Well damn, not even a goodbye.” It felt strange to talk out loud after communicating with his thoughts for so long. 

He pulled a hand through his hair and was forced for the first time to truly come to grips with his complete change of status. Not only was his social status about to change drastically. He was about to go from powerless to powerful in what he felt was the blink of an eye. And yet whoever brought me here is certain I’m trustworthy enough to wield this new power responsibly. I just wish I knew my mysterious benefactor well enough that I trusted their judgment more.

Theodore shrugged, stood up, and started walking. He looked at his body, noting that at least from appearances it looked like he was in good shape. He wasn't ripped in the classical sense, but he was cut in all the right places. Just as he was about to test out his new muscles when he felt an unfamiliar presence in his mind. He pulled his focus inward and searched his mind for the unknown interloper. What he found surprised him.

Perception is a funny thing. What he saw as his surroundings were his mind's attempt to rationalize what a calm section of his mind would look like. The same went for his body. It didn't actually exist in a physical sense. It simply represented his mind's attempt to give his consciousness a play to reside while it traversed his mind. 

Theodore felt a headache come on when he tried to search his mind for the intruder. It took him several minutes to figure out what the problem was. Duh, no wonder I’m having issues. I'm literally short-circuiting my brain by telling my consciousness to go where it already is. It was like telling someone to walk into a house they were already in. 

Now that he understood the problem he knew how to solve it. Since I'm already in the place I want to search I just need to change the way I perceive my surroundings. 

Theodore flexed his mental muscles causing the formerly featureless void to suddenly change into a black space with a three-dimensional construct the size of a small house in it. His avatar hovered above his brain and whistled. It was hard to tell how much had changed since he had no frame of reference. But he was pretty sure the multi-colored web of lights that surrounded his brain was a new addition. 

*That’s your psychic web.*

He looked around in surprise. ”Who said that?”

*I'm the new presence you felt a moment ago. I am the System. Interface. Avatar.*

It took Theodore a second before a vague memory of a window referring to something called the System flickered across his memory. Interesting, I didn't think this System thing would manifest as an actual entity. But I'm glad it did.

A light flashed and a figure appeared just above the multi-colored web.  He lowered himself until he was face to face with what amounted to a female shaped silhouette. 

He opened his mouth to address her but she raised her hand to stop him. *Let's cut through all the usual first meeting crap.* She gestured at her body. Obviously, I'm female. It's up to you to determine exactly what I look like.*

*And I'm sure I'll enjoy that process but,* he shook his head and gestured towards the bright lights flashing beneath them. *Would you mind explaining that to me?*

She shook her head. *No can do. I can only expound on subjects you're already familiar with. I can't explain anything you haven't encountered at least once.*

Theodore scratched his chin and sighed. The mechanic made sense and it would help him learn the specifics about new things as he came in contact with them quickly. *Fine, what can you do for me right now?*

She tilted her head to the side and sighed. *At this point, I'm nothing more than a glorified mouse. So any changes you need to make, and looking at your horrible stats there are several, I can do it for you. Just tell me where you want the points and I'll put them there.*

*Cool, any suggestions?*

It was hard to tell what the female silhouette was thinking since she had no facial features. But Theodore thought she looked like she was giving his question serious thought.

*You're walking into an unknown situation, but if whoever brought you here was telling the truth…*

*Then I could be in serious trouble.*

She put her hands behind her back and shook her head. *Are you an idiot? Of course, you're in trouble. You wouldn't be here unless there was significant danger involved.*

He visibly flinched. 

*That said,* she continued in a slightly warmer tone. *If I were you I would focus on a social stat like Charisma first.*

Theodore thought hard about the advice he’d just heard. In fact, he thought so hard about it he actually began to drift away from the System Avatar, turning upside down in the process. 

The Avatar chuckled. *Going somewhere?*

*Hmm,* he acknowledged her words absently. Then he looked around and finally understood what she was talking about. He smiles wryly, reoriented himself, and moved back to his original position. *You make a really good point. Add fifteen points to Charisma, please.*

*Done,* she said after she waved her hand sharply. 

*Ding!*

He read the window and smiled. Good, these thresholds give me something to aim for in the early going. And the fact that meeting them gave him an easy means to gain new Classes and Abilities was a great bonus. 

*Ding!*

Theodore was about to ask a question when he realized something. *Sorry, what do I call you?* He gave the Avatar an embarrassed smile. They were going to be spending a lot of time together and simple thinking of her as the Avatar just didn't feel right.

She crossed her arms and snorted. *I wondered how long it would take you to finally ask.* There was irritation in the words but thankfully no true malevolence. * Let's just keep it simple, call me Sia.*

He obviously got the reference. *Okay Sia, is there any way to toggle off the Knowledge Node windows?*

*There is,* Sia replied. *But I wouldn't advise it. Reading new information is a more efficient way to absorb new information.*

That actually made a lot of sense. *Okay, queue up the first window, please.* He requested thoughtfully.

*Okay.*

*Ding!* 

He looked at his first new skill and smiled broadly. *Thank you Sia.* 

She snorted indifferently. *Yeah I was sure your inner pervert will find that useful.*

*I'm hurt,* he replied mockingly, grabbing his chest dramatically.

*Not yet,* she countered threateningly. *But that could be arranged.*

He veered slightly away from Sia. *No thanks. What's next.*

Instead of answering another notification sounded.

Ding!

This time Sia didn't even give him a chance to say anything before she stopped him with a pointed finger. *Thankfully while we're in this in-between state I can't read your thoughts.*

Theodore’s face went pale. *Which means once I'm back in the real world you will be able too.* 

*Yup,* came the simple reply.

*I’ll do a better job of controlling myself,* he promised contritely. The last thing he wanted to happen was for his only access to the System to hate his guts. Though he did hope that as they got to know each other better she would lighten up some.

 

 

 

6