Chapter 11: Tea Time
210 4 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Theodore's eyes were half-closed so he missed the spectacle of lights that flashed around him. In the limited time that he’d known Sia he didn't feel that she had a very good impression of him. Thus he would have been astonished if he could have seen the various looks of concern that flashed across her stern visage.

I have no idea what I'm doing, he thought as his feet settled on one of the multi-colored webs. He had no idea which color web he landed on but it seemed to resonate with something deep within him. This just feels right, he thought as the energy settled within him. 

Theodore opened his eyes and took a deep breath. He looked around until he saw Sia then waved. *Sorry to keep you waiting. Something just came over me.* He wanted to explain what he felt better but he just didn't have the words.

There he goes again. In the short time that she’d spent with him Sia had noticed that he spent a lot of time in self-reflection. While she found this trait admirable, currently she found it rather annoying. *Whatever,* she replied dismissively. *Just get out of those lights. I can’t get any closer to you while you're knee-deep in them.*

He looked around as if noticing his surroundings for the first time and laughed lightly. *Oh, sorry about that.* He kicked off from the surface of the webs. The tendrils that had been wrapped around him released their grip and he flew back up towards Sia. *Do I feel any different to you know?* He asked once he was face to face with her again.

She unconsciously backed up a little before she replied. *Yeah you definitely feel different. The aura surrounding you feels thicker, more malleable.*

Interesting.

She saw from his body language that he was about to take a deep dive into his naval so she got close again and wrapped him on the forehead with her knuckles. *No time for that. Are there any other changes you wanted to make before you wake up?*

*How many points do I have left?* He asked, rubbing his forehead.

*Oh, don't be a bitch,* Sia shot back with what Theodore had to assume was her version of a smile on her face. *You have thirty-one stat points left to spend.*

He thought about his options. He could switch tactics and put points into a physical stat this time. But that would leave him with few points remaining. He shook his head. No, my best bet is to continue down this current track of subtle enhancement. He raked a hand through his hair and looked at Sia. *I’d like your opinion on something.*

Curious she nodded and gestured for him to continue.

His face became somber as he crossed his arms over his chest and looked at Sia. *I have no clue what I'm walking into when I wake up. But I get the feeling that we're going to have to play things subtly until we get a better lay of the land.*

Sia listened quietly to his words and was once again struck with how her initial impression of him had changed so drastically. Dismissing that uncomfortable thought for now she focused on his words. She was surprised that he saw the situation the same way she did. 

Since he didn't see any indication that Sia had anything to say he continued. *With that in mind, I think the next stat we increase should complement my boosted Charisma.* He couldn't quite bring himself to look directly at Sia. So he ended up looking just over her left shoulder. *So I’m thinking I should boost my Intellect next. I think there's a good chance it'll give me some skills that will match up with the ones I've already got. So, what do you think?*

*What you said makes sense, let go for it.*

Theodore’s attention focused sharply on Sia’s featureless face. *Wait, what? That's it. No commentary or judgments?* While he was relatively certain that Sia couldn't read his thoughts he’d been certain that she’d pick up on the real reason he wanted to increase his intellect stat.

She completely ignored the surprised look on his face. There was no way in hell she would let Theodore know the reason she refused to comment was that she didn't feel as though she could. *What’s there to say. You've made several very valid points. It also makes sense from a cost-benefit standpoint since you won’t have to spend as many points to gain a new skill.*

He gave up. If she was going to be so reasonable about it what cause did he have to make a big deal about it? *Bring my Intellect stat up to twenty-five, please.*

*Understood.* 

Minus five points later. 

Ding! 

*Yes!* Theodore did a backflip in mid-air and pumped his fist in excitement. *That's what I'm talking about.* Without a doubt, this new class would come in handy. What better way to protect himself from unknown enemies than to know when someone was lying to him. This was a new world he was entering; he needed to know who he could trust. *Sia, bring up all three of the windows and layer them one on top of the other.*

*Fine.* She extended three fingers and made a throwing motion in Theodore’s direction. 

Ding! 

*That will definitely come in handy.* Especially considering he would be immediately thrust into his own attempted murder investigation. Knowing who he could believe would be the first step in defending himself from his potential enemies.

Ding! 

Since he was being inserted into someone else's life it was nice that he’d be able to see who a person was before he opened his mouth. Now he just needed to figure out what excuse he would use for why his memories of his life before he’d been poisoned were missing.

Ding! 

He wouldn't have any use for this skill right now, but he could see it coming in handy later, once he acquired some combat abilities.

He dismissed the windows and thought about all of his options and what his plan going forward would be. He figured his best course of action was to take a more passive approach to his entry into his new world. His elevated Charisma would feature prominently in his calculations. 

Sia saw the look of concentration on Theodore’s face and could hazard a pretty good guess what was going on behind his half-closed eyes. *I know what you're thinking and I only half agree with it.*

*Only half,* he joked. *In the short time we've been together you've made your obvious disapproval of me...well obvious.*

*I have no idea what you are talking about.* She denied his assessment vehemently. *Considering how long we've known each other I don't think you are qualified to make that judgment.* If she had the ability she would have blushed from head to toe. There was no way she would ever admit to being affected by his upgraded charisma. 

He looked at Sia’s ill-defined features and shook his head. This isn't gonna work for me. He briefly thought about telling Sia what he was about to do but dismissed that idea almost immediately. Instead, he pictured what his ideal image of Sia would look like.

The look on Theodore’s made Sia nervous for some reason. *What are you—*

Theodore closed his eyes and projected the likeness he’d constructed in his mind outward. He vaguely heard mumbled criticisms coming from Sia but he paid little attention to her complaints. 

Ding! 

Of course, he hit yes. He found the new dialogue option especially enticing. 

He looked at the suddenly brightly glowing Sia. *I assume you see this window.* 

*Yes I can see it.* She snapped back.

*In that case, I won't beat around. Can I trust that you will always be honest with me?* This was as good a time as any to find out where his avatar's ultimate loyalties lie.

She folded her arms across her chest before she replied defiantly. *I can't purposely lie to you, especially when your safety is involved.* Then her voice took on a more somber tone. *But there will be times that I can't tell you everything because of the restraints placed on me by the System.*

Theodore smiled at that. *Well I can't fault you for that.* He closed his eyes, put the finishing touches on his mental construct, and then pushed the finished product out of his mind and into reality.

Sia looked down at her body and was speechless. She couldn't believe she had a body that would be the envy of any supermodel had a body now. Her hands raked through long black hair that fell to the small of her back. She created a mirror by drawing a circle in the air and just started. Creamy black skin the shade of melted caramel, almond-shaped eyes, and full plump lips. Wow.

Ding! 

He could guess how she felt about her new appearance from the look on her face and the completed optional quest task but he wanted her to say it out loud for purely ego-driven reasons. *So what do you think?*

Before she could respond a blinding light appeared behind her in the distance. 

*What’s that?* He asked, pointing to the like in the distance.

She looked over her shoulder then replied. *That is your exit to reality.* She put her hands on her suddenly ample hips and smiled tauntingly. *And if you look closely you'll see it's closing ever so slowly. Soooo—*

Theodore launched himself towards the gateway before she could finish. *This isn't over.* He yelled as he flew past her.

Once Sia was certain he couldn't see her anymore she cupped her ample breasts and smiled. *I bet.*


Special Agent Aiden Steele spent her entire life holding herself back from strong emotions. As an Awakened human she was gifted with the power of Talent. Yet Talent was a two-edged sword. If you wore lighter Jewels that edge was relatively dull, but if you wore darker Jewels that edge could bisect reality. 

Talent was emotion given form and purpose. The stronger the Talent the darker the emotion it could bring out. Only after years of arduous training could a darker Jeweled Awakened use their Talent without the risk of going over the edge of sanity. She was now standing on the precipice of that edge. 

Talent left then was immediately reabsorbed into Steele's body before it could be detected. Being caged within the luxurious parlor of House Powers was straining every ounce of her control. It was taking every vestige of her will to stop her from rendering this entire room down to kindling. 

Years, she’d spent years running from the affluence this room represented. Those years had been spent on a journey of self-discovery. She spent them searching for something that couldn't be acquired through bloodline alone. She sought the feeling of self-worth that could only be earned through spending one's own sweat equity. 

Steele walked past the floor to ceiling bookshelves filled with books that, she was certain, had never been cracked, and the ornate furniture that had no other purpose but to look pleasing. It all made her gut hurt. She walked by each bookshelf brushing callused fingers across the thick bindings. ”No dust,” she noted absently. Not that she was surprised by this. A family with the wealth and authority like the Powers wouldn't sully their reputation with something as common as dust.

Her thoughts were interrupted by a polite knock at the parlor’s door followed by the immediate entrance of two elegantly dressed women. The quality of their clothing alone marked them as noble-born. Her instincts as a Ranger told her that the younger of the two hadn't Awaken yet. This made gauging her strength difficult. But if she had to wager a guess, she would have estimated that her birthstone was probably Green. The next chink in the armor that was her self control appeared when she looked at the other woman. She was a complete unknown. While she was Awakened, Steele had no idea what her Jewel of Rank was, and that irritated her immensely.

From behind the two high born women, a young maid carrying a silver tray of tea and sweat meats entered the room. She kept her eyes respectfully lowered as she passed her mistresses and placed the tray on a table located in the center of the room. A small flare of White-Jeweled power emanated from the maid moments before three modestly cushioned chairs were called in and moved with invisible strands of power to their proper locations around the table. 

Once the maid was certain the chairs were properly placed around the table she bowed respectfully then stood by awaiting further instructions.

The elder of the two women gestured for everyone to sit. Once everyone was seated the older woman gestured towards the maid who took this as her cue to begin serving the seated ladies. ”Under normal circumstances,” she began as the maid poured tea in each of their cups. ”This would be the time where I’d politely offer to trade polite pleasantries with you but these aren't normal circumstances. So Special Agent Steele, why are you here?” 

Steele didn't answer immediately, instead, she allowed the maid to finish her tasks. The tray of sweetmeats was placed at the center of the table. The maid then called in three delicate saucers and stacked them beside the tray. Once she was done she bowed deeply, backed away, and left the room.

When Steele saw the door close behind the maid she narrowed her eyes. ”I’m surprised that someone of such high standing would be so lacking in manners. The least you could do is introduce me to the young lady.” Steele flicked her chin in the direction of the younger woman. 

Lisey gestured toward the younger female beside her. ”You already know this is my daughter Lisa. So either you are being deliberately obtuse or you are a genuine idiot.” 

Steele listened to the cultured fury barely hidden beneath her words and smiled in her heart. Outwardly she smiled thinly. ”Please Lady Powers be at ease.” She picked up her tea and took a sip. ”Good tea by the way.” She put the tea down and her smiling mask was back in place. ”I was simply making small talk while the tea cooled.”

Lisey sneered at the reply, her daughter's face mirrored hers. ”Rangers don't know how to make small talk.” The air in the room suddenly took on a frigid air. A fine layer of frost appeared on the surface of Steele's teacup. ”Spout all the pleasantries you wish but it changes nothing. Rangers are nothing more than the Tower’s covert hunter seekers, their killers in the night. So spare me your platitudes. I ask you again, why are you here?”

Steele waved her hand negligently towards her teacup and the frost melted immediately. She gave Lisey a smile that didn't reach her eyes. She brought the suddenly steaming cup of tea to her lips and drank. This really is good tea,” she said after she put the cup back down. ”Any way you know why I'm here.” She stood up and looked at the two other women pointedly. ”Stop wasting time and take me to the boy.”

A low growl issued from Lisa as she shot out of her chair. ”Who are you calling boy? You are referring to the heir to House Powers.”

”Not if he doesn't wake up he won’t,” she countered with a smile. ”But that's while I'm here. The Tower would like to know exactly what happened to the future heir of House Powers.”

Before Lisa could reply, Lisey placed a gentle calming hand on her daughter's shoulder. ”Pay her no mind.

Outrage reverberated through every pore of her body. The only thing that kept her from completely losing her temper was the calm look in her mother's eyes. She bowed her head slightly in acquiescence. ”Yes, mother.”

After she was certain her daughter had calmed down she gave their visitor her full attention. ”Bad form provoking my daughter like that.” She gave Steele a mocking smile before she continued. ”For someone who hates the nobility and the House politics, they represent you sure do play the game as if you were born to it. Oh, wait you were. You're Aiden Steele of House Steele, correct?”

”Correct.” Steele spat the word out as if it were rotten food. ”Did you plan on taking me to see the young master anytime soon?” The frustration she had managed to swallow was starting to rise again. She needed to get out of this room as soon as possible before she said or did something she'd live to regret.

The way that woman referred to her brother made Lisa want to claw her eyes out with toothpicks. She didn't care that she wasn't Awakened yet. She had a strange feeling this would not be the last time she saw Steele. She would make finding revenge against this woman one of her life goals. 

Lisey stood, moved away from the table, and bowed magnanimously to Steele. The court smile she managed to maintain showed nothing of her true emotions. ”We have nothing to hide from you or more importantly the Tower Special Agent Steele.” She locked arms with her daughter and gestured towards the still-open door. As if on cue a young maid appeared in the doorway. ”Please—.”

Her words were interrupted when they all felt a powerful shock wave travel through the Mists. 

"That—that came from Theodore’s room,” she whispered haltingly. The color had drained from her beautiful features and fear was evident in the look she gave her mother.

Lisey returned that look briefly before turning her gaze towards their unwanted guest. She took a deep breath then spoke in a resigned voice. ”I'm sure I don't have to tell you what that was?”

Steele shook her head. ”No. That felt like the aftershocks of a powerful Awakening.” She looked at Lisa with a grudging concern. ”And judging by the look on your daughter's face it was probably Theodore’s.”

Instead of replying she maintained her hold in her daughter and swiftly left the room. Steele followed closely behind, the firm resolve in her footsteps not matching the unease in her heart. 


*Fine, first step, equip each Class then unequip it.* At least this way he would have access to the skills they granted him before he woke up

*What Class do you want to be equipped with now?* She asked after she'd done what he’d requested. 

*Charmer,* he replied as he felt his consciousness become hazy. 

*Why am I not surprised?*

Those were the last words Theodore heard before blackness consumed him.


 

 

 

6