Chapter 22: Partners?
121 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Theo and his mother sat near the center of a u-shaped sofa, the same color as the mahogany that lined the halls outside the drawing-room they currently occupied. The sofa was large enough to seat several people comfortably, but the energy it's current occupants gave off made it feel crowded all the same. Theo was at a crossroads. He could follow the road of least resistance and seduce his mother. With his powers, it would be easy, and it wouldn't be hard to convince himself that Lisey wasn't his mother. On the other hand, he could take the hard road and find some way to either work with or around his mother. The only problem with that option was the danger that she would wipe his mind or turn him into a Bonded-Servant before he was strong enough to defend himself.

Theo pulled an unsteady hand through his hair and slowly slid away from his mother's touch. He had to keep his mother talking so she wouldn't have time to focus on him. "Why do we need to negotiate? I haven't asked you for anything. All I did was inform you about everything that's happened to me since I woke up in this body." Almost everything he amended silently. The System and the benefits it gave him would remain his secret, at least for now. Maybe the relationship between them would improve to the point where he felt comfortable telling his mother about the System, but they weren't there yet. He saw the look in his mother's eyes and had a sinking suspicion she had every intention of changing that assessment.

"Because," she replied lightly." You wouldn't have told me as much as you have without a set goal in mind." When she saw him about to respond, she put a finger up to stop him. "Please don't insult my intelligence by implying that you've told me everything. We both know you've held just enough information back to protect yourself. You would have been a fool to do so." She paused, sighed, then looked away. The look in her eyes was distant, and her psychic scent became somewhat pensive.

The slightly unfocused look in Lisey's eyes told Theo that her mind was elsewhere. If he had to hazard a guess, she was attempting to reconcile her memories with the reality before her. From what little he could remember, this body's previous occupant was lazy, greedy, and all-around not a nice person. With that in mind, he wasn't surprised that she was having difficulties dealing with the drastic changes in his attitude. Out of respect, he didn't interrupt her thoughts.

After several moments Lisey collected her thoughts and focused her attention back on her son. She tapped a thoughtful finger on her chin and continued speaking as if she'd never stopped. "You may lack experience, but you are no fool. So we should discuss what you want." She paused, lowered her head slightly, and from behind her long lashes gave Theo a sultry look." And, more importantly, what you are willing to exchange for it. Though I already believe I know why you opened up to me and what you what, I want to hear the reasoning from you." 

Theo coughed to cover his embarrassment at being seen through so quickly." We both want the same thing, power, but as I'm sure you've surmised, I'm not strong enough to protect myself."

Lisey gave him a questioning look as if she couldn't believe what she'd just heard. "Are you serious? You expect me to believe that after you soundly defeated me?"

He gave her a slightly embarrassed glance and coughed nervously. "About that. Would it offend you if I said most of that  victory could be chalked up to pure luck?"

"Yes, it would," she replied sharply as he psychic scent took on an irritated flavor.

"Good to know," he said hesitantly. "Anyway, I know almost nothing about how this world functions. There's no way I'll survive long enough to learn without the help of someone powerful. 

"And I assume this is where I come in?" she guessed with a smile.

"Yes," Theo murmured as he pulled on his shirt collar. Besides, he thought. You've seen enough of my powers to know something about me is off. It would have been impossible to explain it away without telling you something that at least approaches the truth. 

His response made Lisey smile." And what makes you think I'm strong enough to protect you?" She asked, giving him a piercing look. She placed her hands on her lap and sat back, once again exuding the presence of a high born woman of noble birth.

He noticed the change and breathed a little easier. Then he suddenly realized what his mother just asked him. He sat back and tilted his head slightly, surprised she would ask such an obvious question." Because you're a noble and I'm pretty sure no matter the world, all nobles by their very nature possess power. Combine that with the strength of your Jewels makes you more than qualified to act as a protector and teacher." Theo paused and gave his mother a thoughtful look before he continued." Besides, I'm the eldest son of a Noble House. There has to be some benefit for you in keeping me alive."

Theo had no idea how close he was to the mark, but he felt given what he currently knew everything he'd said had the potential to be close enough to the truth to give him some breathing room. 

I can't just get away with arbitrarily bullying my way through every situation. He reasoned as he too sat back on the sofa's soft cushions. If my mother doesn't respect my intelligence at least as much as she does my power, she'll walk all over me. 

Instead of responding to his statement Lisey continued smiling. It was a simple smile devoid of the calculations and jaded undertones that usually accompanied it. 

Something about that smile turned his bones to jelly and confused the hell out of him. Why would a mother smile after learning that her son wasn't who she thought he was? Theo wondered nervously. On top of that, she's caught me in a lie, and I beat her in a fight. Who smiles at a time like this?

His thoughts were interrupted by the sound of multiple Systems notifications going off in his mind.

*Ding!*

Level 1 Charmer Has Advanced to Level 2

Rewards:

+4 Charisma

+4 Guile

 
*Ding!*
Level 1 Glamour Advanced To Level 2


*Ding!*

Level 1 Persuade Advanced To Level 2

Thankfully the notifications appeared behind his mother so he could look at both without drawing undue suspicion. At first, he couldn't figure out what he'd done to level up the Charmer class, but after some thought, it finally understood. It also explained why, even after everything that's happened, his mother was still in such a good mood. 

Why does it always feel like the System is using me instead of the other way around? Theo wondered bitterly. Almost every situation he found himself in catered to his baser instincts. It felt like specific events were being placed before him to influence the direction of his growth. The more he thought about it, the more irritated he became.

Lisey could taste the change in her son's psychic scent before she saw it. From what she'd gleaned from his explanation, his powers were adaptive. Which meant they changed and grew stronger depending on his actions. She didn't know what had just happened, but whatever it was, it made him seem even more appealing than he had moments ago. She steadfastly ignored coming to terms with how wrong finding her son appealing was and instead blamed it on his mysterious abilities.

Instead, she focused on Theo's, suddenly even more handsome, face. She leaned forward, closed her eyes, and breathed in his dark scent. When she opened her eyes and realized how close she was to Theo, her face flushed. She sat back, called in a silk handkerchief, and lightly wiped her brow.

"Tell me," she said as she dismissed the handkerchief. "What just happened?"

"What do you mean?" he asked carefully.

Lisey looked at him disapprovingly. "Do not lie to me. I can accept that you won't tell me everything. That's just good sense. What I will not accept is being outright lied to by my son and potential partner. You and I both know something just happened. Tell me what it was."

Several possible answers flashed through his mind before he finally settled on something close to the truth. He wanted his mother's willing cooperation, and he wouldn't get that if he outright lied to her at every chance.

Theo gave his mother an apologetic look before he responded. "Sorry about that," he said in a contrite tone. "It's kind of hard to explain." He closed his eyes and sighed before he opened them again. "It's like this. Whenever I have a positive interaction with someone, it directly contributes to a corresponding stat."

His mother nodded her head in understanding." I get it," she said thoughtfully." Can you turn your powers off?"

He gave her a nod of understanding. It didn't take a rocket scientist to understand why his mother asked such a question. "It's the exact opposite. I have to consciously will my powers to work. Though…" He paused, his mind suddenly far away. After two heartbeats, he was back. He shook his head and looked at his mother again. "Sorry about that. It suddenly just occurred to me that I've used several of my skills by instinct alone."  

*Ding!*

New Achievement Unlocked: Seeds of Trust

Congratulations, you've managed to take the first steps towards developing a productive mother-son relationship without using your powers. You've also proven that it possible for you to interact with a female and keep your pants on

Rewards:

+2 Charisma

+5 Morality

His eyes flickered, and he groaned deep in his heart. He couldn't figure out if the System hated him, wanted to help him, or was just an ass-hole?

"What just happened?" Lisey asked. She'd noticed the slight change in his expression, so she decided to quickly find out what happened before Theo had a chance to make up a story.

Theo looked at her for several long seconds. He put his elbows on his knees and leaned his chin in the space between his thumbs and forefingers. 

At that moment, the world went grey, and the movements of everything around Theo slowed to a crawl.

Before he could react, the sound of a System notification brought him up short.

*Ding!*

The Dialogue Option is now active. 

  • When this option appears, it means that you have reached a crossroads. 
  • You will be given (3) possible answers. 
  • Depending on how you answer the question, there is a possibility of receiving either rewards or punishments.

*Ding!*

Your mother wants to know what just happened to you. How will you respond?

A) Nothing. 

B) Sorry, my powers are acting up again.

C) I hadn't planned on telling you this, but my powers are similar to the way video         game mechanics work. 

He looked at the three options before him and smiled. If he could have, he would have thanked the System for giving him time to consider his options. While he was thankful, it wasn't necessary. He already knew what option he would choose. Thankfully the choice he would have selected was also included.

The first option was a non-starter. Lisey would never except that answer, and he didn't feel comfortable giving it anyway. The second option wasn't as bad as the first, but it still teetered close to the edge of a lie by omission.   

Theo chose the third option. As soon as his choice was confirmed, the world regained its color. Judging by the look of irritation that still colored his mother's face, she didn't notice that anything unusual or anything else unusual. He picked up the chain of the conversation as if nothing happened. 

He gave his mother a thoughtful look and did his best to explain what happened. 

He gave his mother a thoughtful look and did his best to explain what happened. The explanation took longer than he thought it would because he needed to stop periodically to explain certain mechanics. He even had to double back and repeat things several times because she didn't believe him.

Twenty-five excruciating minutes later, Lisey looked at her son with disbelieving eyes. Her psychic scent radiated irritation and anger simmered just behind her eyes. She got up and took several steps away from him. With her back to him, she said with a heavy heart," You disappoint me, Theodore. I thought we were past this. You expect me to believe that your powers are based on…" She paused and shook her head in disgust. Her tongue felt like lead in her mouth." I'm sorry I just find this hard to acknowledge. Of all the things for your powers to be based on, it had to be video games."

*Ding!*

Lisey Powers (-5) Relationship Points

He didn't know if the -5 was from his mother not believing him or due to her disdain for the medium. "What do you have against video games?" he asked curiously.

Lisey turned around and faced her son. She ignored his question and instead asked one of her own. "Prove to me what you've said is true."


Name:  Theodore A. Powers                     Level:  11

Jewel: Ebony                                                   Caste:

Rank:   

Class: Ninja Lvl 2                                                                  

Experience:     1920 / 2102

Morality:         (+5)

_____________________________

HP: 1110 / 1110

CP: 200 / 200

_____________________________                 

    

              Stats:

Strength:                          10

Agility:                              35

Endurance:                      1

Intellect:                           27

Wisdom:                           7

Charisma:                        33

Guile:                                 6

Libido:                              16

_____________________________

Skill Points:                      12

Stat Points:                       8

_____________________________

Inventory:                         0 / 24

Money:                             $0.00

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Accessories:

Head:

Neck:

Chest:

(L) Hand:

(R) Hand:

(L) Arm:

(R) Arm:

(L) Wrist:

(R) Wrist:

(L) Leg:

(R) Leg:

(L) Foot:

(R) Foot:

_____________________________

Classes:

 Charmer Lvl 2     

Polygrapher Lvl 1       

Ninja Lvl 2

Skills:

Abilities:

Active:                                              Passive:

Persuade  Lvl 2                               God's Peace

Observe Lvl 1                                  Glamour Lvl 2

Focus Lvl 1                                      Insight Lvl 1

Ki Strike Lvl 2                                 Stealth Lvl 2

Shadow-Step Lvl 2

 

 

Touch of Bliss

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

4